suggestion for new civic: multiculturalism

Noriad2

Emperor
This subject may lead to heated discussion so I'll post it here in its own thread. I'm not an expert on American history so I may have some details wrong.

Suggestion for new civic:

MULTICULTURALISM (in the Society civic list)
prerequisite: Minority Rights tech

==============================
background: in 1965, at the height of the Cold War, the USA adopted the Civil Rights Act and a more liberal immigration policy. At that time, communism was going strong worldwide and considered extremely dangerous. For those that are too young to have lived during the Cold War: communism was as fanatical as Islamic State today except more bloodthirsty and armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons. During the 20th century, communist leaders like Lenin, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot together killed a hundred million people.

In 1965, A third of the world's population was already under communist rule, and many more third world countries were more sympathetic towards the Soviet Union than towards the West. At that time, the USA had racial segregation laws, and only allowed immigration from European countries. Soviet propaganda targeted various third world countries and successfully painted the West as imperialist and racist, and Western propaganda had no effective answer to that. Soviet agents also continually worked on stirring up race riots in the USA itself in order to weaken it.

USA politicians feared a future nightmare scenario in which the West would be politically isolated and surrounded by a world wide communist alliance, and decided to take preventive action to actively disarm the Soviet propaganda. All racial segregation laws (called Jim Crow laws) were abolished, and replaced by programs to favor ethnic minorities. The Europeans-only immigration policy was replaced by a world wide immigration policy. The main politician behind this immigration policy change, Senator Ted Kennedy, explained that the purpose of this policy change was not to change the ethnic makeup of the USA (which was 90% European at that time) but to thoroughly counter accusations of racism from the rest of the world. However, in practice it did change the ethnic makeup of the USA considerably, with white people nowadays being a minority among newborns in the USA.
Hispanics, who were only 3.2% of the USA population in 1960, migrated in masses, and are already close to becoming the majority in several US states, and are expected to form 27% of the total USA population in 2050, threatening the dominance of the English language (*).

(*) source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

Europe followed the USA in multiculturalism, and combined with a more generous welfare system, this led to mass immigration from Africa and the Middle East. Many major European cities that were ethnically and culturally homogenous for centuries, received rapidly growing getto's, to the point that the native Europeans are soon becoming a minority in those cities. In these ghetto's, unemployment and crime runs high, and more and more Europeans think that multiculturalism is giving them a very bad deal.

For decades, European natives who dissented against mass immigration were targeted by Political Correctness and socially ostrasized, to the point that even the police were reluctant to investigate criminals of foreign origin, for fear of being called racist (google Rotherham Child Sex Scandal where the British police refused to investigate hardcore Pakistani criminals for fear of being called racist and lose their jobs).

However, at this moment, anger about multiculturalism has reached such height among native Europeans (at least in my country) that Political Correctness is rapidly losing its influence, and here and in several other European countries there are regular street protests of various groups, against "islamization", immigration from the third world in general, "traitor" politicians and the "Luegenpresse" (liar press).

==================================

Let's talk game rules.

Proposed advantages of the Multiculturalism civic:

-most important: big bonus (+8 ?) to relations with every other civ.
-bonus to culture in every city (+40%?)
- +1 foreign trade route

Proposed disadvantages of the Multiculturalism civic:

-every turn, a small part of the culture in every city should be changed to the culture of a neighbouring civ. That means that if a civ runs this civic long enough, it should see its border cities flip over to another civ. Think southern USA states defecting to the Spanish civ (Mexico).
-a major increase in crime as any criticism of criminal minorities is frowned upon, and migrants probably have less loyalty to their new civ.
-increased city upkeep cost due to higher demand on welfare and affirmative action programs.

Remarks:
-effect on pop growth: modest. The pop growth from immigration is partially compensated for by the fact that higher demand on welfare leads to higher taxes which leads to lower birth rates among the original population.

AI behaviour: as this is a very unbalanced and dangerous civic, with relations bonus being its main benefit, it should only be used by civs that are the most impopular in the world, to be determined by averaging their relations numbers with all known other civs. By the time this civic becomes available, every civ probably has contact with every other civ.

This subject may lead to heated discussion so I'll post it here in its own thread. I'm not an expert on American history so I may have some details wrong.

Suggestion for new civic:

MULTICULTURALISM (in the Society civic list)
prerequisite: Minority Rights tech

==============================
background: in 1965, at the height of the Cold War, the USA adopted the Civil Rights Act and a more liberal immigration policy. At that time, communism was going strong worldwide and considered extremely dangerous. For those that are too young to have lived during the Cold War: communism was as fanatical as Islamic State today except more bloodthirsty and armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons. During the 20th century, communist leaders like Lenin, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot together killed a hundred million people.

In 1965, A third of the world's population was already under communist rule, and many more third world countries were more sympathetic towards the Soviet Union than towards the West. At that time, the USA had racial segregation laws, and only allowed immigration from European countries. Soviet propaganda targeted various third world countries and successfully painted the West as imperialist and racist, and Western propaganda had no effective answer to that. Soviet agents also continually worked on stirring up race riots in the USA itself in order to weaken it.

USA politicians feared a future nightmare scenario in which the West would be politically isolated and surrounded by a world wide communist alliance, and decided to take preventive action to actively disarm the Soviet propaganda. All racial segregation laws (called Jim Crow laws) were abolished, and replaced by programs to favor ethnic minorities. The Europeans-only immigration policy was replaced by a world wide immigration policy. The main politician behind this immigration policy change, Senator Ted Kennedy, explained that the purpose of this policy change was not to change the ethnic makeup of the USA (which was 90% European at that time) but to thoroughly counter accusations of racism from the rest of the world. However, in practice it did change the ethnic makeup of the USA considerably, with white people nowadays being a minority among newborns in the USA.
Hispanics, who were only 3.2% of the USA population in 1960, migrated in masses, and are already close to becoming the majority in several US states, and are expected to form 27% of the total USA population in 2050, threatening the dominance of the English language (*).

(*) source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

Europe followed the USA in multiculturalism, and combined with a more generous welfare system, this led to mass immigration from Africa and the Middle East. Many major European cities that were ethnically and culturally homogenous for centuries, received rapidly growing getto's, to the point that the native Europeans are soon becoming a minority in those cities. In these ghetto's, unemployment and crime runs high, and more and more Europeans think that multiculturalism is giving them a very bad deal.

For decades, European natives who dissented against mass immigration were targeted by Political Correctness and socially ostrasized, to the point that even the police were reluctant to investigate criminals of foreign origin, for fear of being called racist (google Rotherham Child Sex Scandal where the British police refused to investigate hardcore Pakistani criminals for fear of being called racist and lose their jobs).

However, at this moment, anger about multiculturalism has reached such height among native Europeans (at least in my country) that Political Correctness is rapidly losing its influence, and here and in several other European countries there are regular street protests of various groups, against "islamization", immigration from the third world in general, "traitor" politicians and the "Luegenpresse" (liar press).

==================================

Let's talk game rules.

Proposed advantages of the Multiculturalism civic:

-most important: big bonus (+8 ?) to relations with every other civ.
-bonus to culture in every city (+40%?)
- +1 foreign trade route

Proposed disadvantages of the Multiculturalism civic:

-every turn, a small part of the culture in every city should be changed to the culture of a neighbouring civ. That means that if a civ runs this civic long enough, it should see its border cities flip over to another civ. Think southern USA states defecting to the Spanish civ (Mexico).
-a major increase in crime as any criticism of criminal minorities is frowned upon, and migrants probably have less loyalty to their new civ.
-increased city upkeep cost due to higher demand on welfare and affirmative action programs.

Remarks:
-effect on pop growth: modest. The pop growth from immigration is partially compensated for by the fact that higher demand on welfare leads to higher taxes which leads to lower birth rates among the original population.

AI behaviour: as this is a very unbalanced and dangerous civic, with relations bonus being its main benefit, it should only be used by civs that are the most impopular in the world, to be determined by averaging their relations numbers with all known other civs. By the time this civic becomes available, every civ probably has contact with every other civ.

Well, I am in the UK (we joined the EU as a trade agreement only) - and you know what is happening here. Being an older person suffering under EU dictatorial rules for decades. You can probably guess my political leanings.

From a game design perspective, I think this is a problematic approach because none of the issues described here are recent in any meaningful sense.

In the United States, immigration laws were fairly open until around the turn of the 20th century. The Chinese Exclusion Act was the first major racial exclusion. It is customary today to lump all Europeans together under the label "white", but the differences between nationalities were very important in the 19th century. In particular, there was great hostility toward the Irish, then the Italians and various Eastern European groups. [...] the repeal of national exclusion laws did not lead to an immigration system that was anywhere near as open as what prevailed in the 19th century.

If we go farther back in time, human populations have always been in flux, and the movement of populations has resulted in varying levels of both integration and discord. One notes the Moors living in Spain, which was not a major problem until Queen Isabella decided it was a problem.

[...]

From reading the original post, I also cannot evade the impression that this proposed new civic is also meant to promote a particular controversial attitude toward immigration. I say this as someone who favors more immigration in my own country, the US. It would be a slippery slope indeed if C2C, which so far has been an excellent collection of historical concepts, is opened up to divisive ideas.

@Harrier: I second you. Although Poland is a quite new member of EU, our feelings and (I guess) political leanings are similar.

I think this civic is too controversial to adopt it. In contrast with the other civics, Multiculturalism is something new and we do not know most of its consequences yet. From the same reason I would prefer to avoid any new, fashionable ideas like gender etc.

S.

I think it's better to go for minority rights (which is already a tech). You could have a civic there with a few benefits and drawbacks and make "hate crime" dependent on that civic.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=561347&page=4
My vision
Immigration branch not Society.
Multiculturalism (Immigration Civic)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism
High Upkeep
+10% :culture: in City for each presented religion in this City
+4 :culture: for each Culture (for example Culture (Apache))
+20% Wonder Production
+2 :c5unhappy: in 6 Largest Cities
20 Crime/Turn (City)
Requires Globalization
Melting Pot (Immigration Civic)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_pot
Medium Upkeep
+5% :gold:, +5% :hammers: in City for each presented religion in this City
+2 :gold:, +2 :hammers: for each Culture (for example Culture (Apache))
+20% :gp: Birth Rate in Capital
10 Crime/Turn (City)
Requires Representative Democracy

If anything, I would expect multiculturalism to be more crime-ridden than the melting pot rather than less. The melting pot is about melting all the present cultures into a single - often new - culture, so cultural borders should vanish rather quickly.

And why does multiculturalism help with building wonders?

The other aspects of those two civics are alright, I think.

I would consider multiculturalism to be less crime ridden with lower unstability, but then I am probably thinking of inclusive multiculturalism where in you don't only celebrate your culture but other cultures as you (the individual) choose, and welcome people normally excluded to help celebrate your culture. Eg a blond Nordic lady learning and performing a Maori dance traditionally done only by men.

@Brackenspore: in general it looks reasonable. I would also add extra local instability for each non-state religion and national instability for each national Culture. Crime could also depend on the number of Cultures (e.g. 1 or 2 Crime for each one) instead of a fixed value.

S.

Sounds like open borders civic to me.

Multiculturalism is much more than just opening your border for people with foreign cultures (or conquer them). It is a detailed ideology that states that cultural diversity should not just be tolerated but actively promoted. But I agree that open borders kinda goes with that.

A good writeup on multiculturalism is here:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/multiculturalism/
It discusses both the benefits and drawbacks of multiculturalism

also wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism

The wikipedia entry mentions alternatives for multiculturalism:

"Multiculturalism that promotes maintaining the distinctiveness of multiple cultures is often contrasted to other settlement policies such as social integration, cultural assimilation and racial segregation."

So here we may have the beginnings of a new civics group:

Civic Group: "Treatment of Minorities":
-coexistence
-oppression/exploitation
-social integration
-cultural assimilation
-segregation
-multiculturalism

n.b.: with "culture" I mean the city value that pushes your border outwards. The importance of this civic group should be much greater for a multicultural empire (i.e., the civ has conquered other civ's cities or has close-by borders with another civ) than for monocultural civs.

EDIT: changed "racial segregation" into just "segregation"

@Noriad: Does that mean that "coexistence" is supposed to be the first civic?

One aspect of culture that is poorly represented in the Civ series is the concept of community cohesion. If individual people are the building blocks of groups and ultimately the whole society, a shared culture is the cement. It is somewhat crudely represented by the Rev mod. As all achievements are group efforts, higher community cohesion should lead to higher achievements (a multiplier to hammers, commerce etc.)

Quotes from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_multiculturalism

-----------------------------------------------------
"the more racially diverse a community is, the greater the loss of trust. People in diverse communities "don't trust the local mayor, they don't trust the local paper, they don't trust other people and they don't trust institutions,"

"Relatively homogeneous societies invest more in public goods, indicating a higher level of public altruism. For example, the degree of ethnic homogeneity correlates with the government's share of gross domestic product as well as the average wealth of citizens. Case studies of the United States ... find that multi-ethnic societies are less charitable and less able to cooperate to develop public infrastructure. ... A recent multi-city study of municipal spending on public goods in the United States found that ethnically or racially diverse cities spend a smaller portion of their budgets and less per capita on public services than do the more homogeneous cities."
------------------------------------------------------

Game-wise, community cohesion should not be something you decide but be the aggregate result of various civics, decisions and situations. Much like city properties.

Multicultural, multi-ethnic, multi-religious societies should have lower community cohesion. An assimilation policy should increase community cohesion while multiculturalism (celebrating diversity) should slowly fracture society, but give a diplomacy bonus. If you openly praise your neighbouring civ's culture by promoting it in your own civ, of course they will think more highly of you.

All achievements are group efforts? Somehow I think Newton, Leibniz, Babbage, Einstein, or pretty much any composer would object to that. Stroustrup and the developers of the early computer games as well.

Regarding your neighbours, it depends. There are cultures that would sneer at that kind of behavior, in those cases it would lead to a diplomatic malus.

Another facet of culture that is poorly represented in civ 4 is the importance of virtues. Virtues are to some extend the opposite of crime. Raising children to be virtuous is the difference between getting a society of quality people, or a loose collection of deadbeat good-for-nothing losers.

The creation of the Roman Empire was an amazing feat (as long as you don't mind the bloodbaths that were necessary along the way) : starting as a small city in central Italy, Rome became a massive empire. The Romans were well aware that they did something exceptional, and attributed their success to being more virtuous than other people. Instilling family values, duty, loyalty etc in their children led to quality adults which in turn led to exceptional achievements.

Societies go through phases: from golden ages to decadence and decay, and back.
Having a lot of quality people tends to create better ages. A luxury lifestyle tends to induce decadence.

Aside from high or low levels of virtue, specific virtues can be poorly complementary, although not necessarily completely opposite.
For example: duty and freedom are not exact opposites, but tend to erode each other. The same for faith and rationality.
A sense of duty should increase production and military effectiveness, while more sense of freedom as a virtue should lead to a more innovative and tolerant society.

I forgot: Contrary to dogma in political correctness: not all cultures are equal. They differ in the mix of virtues they promote.

Don't forget that the virtue of one culture (e.g. sacrificing children in Carthage) can be abhorrent to another one (e.g. Rome).

Possible tech for these civics:
-coexistence (Community)
-oppression/exploitation (Fundamentalism)
-social integration (Enlightenment)
-cultural assimilation (Nationalism)
-segregation (Imperialism)
-multiculturalism (Globalization/Minority Rights)

Top Bottom