[MODMOD] Taxes and navigation modmod for R&R

vetiarvind

Prince
TAXES AND NAVIGATION 2.4.1

Requirements
Release 2.2 of the Religion and Revolution mod.

Description

Version 2.4.1 changes (2.4.1 is compatible with 2.4 saves)
*Fixed forts bug in R&R causing it to not grow inside borders when out of range of a city. Forts can now be grown by any fortifying unit except pioneers (armed with tools and not guns of course).
Previously only infantry that carried muskets could grow forts, but since forts were already underpowered, this makes them more useful.
*A fort's attack chance percent now is slightly reduced upto a max of 20% depending on relative strength between attacker and defender.
*Monasteries' ability to convert has been reduced to one-third of previous for adjacent tiles. This is to fix an exploit where you could build a monastery next to a village and reap converts quickly.
*Doubled military FF points for experience gained and small bonuses for razing\conquering cities. (thanks to Marla_Singer for noting this issue)
*Crosses max limit set to 400 from previous version 300.
*Slightly modified trade groups column layout width.

Trade Groups for Automation (new in 2.4)

This version introduces a new feature - "Trade Groups". This is the ability to store multiple trade routes under a single name. Remember how it's often a problem when you have a carriage doing multiple cities and now it's not able to scale up to production? What you previously did was to remember the exact trade route and add them to a new transport or group the transports together in a fleet. I kind of didn't like that, so we now have a way to save and load a bunch of trade routes - all in a couple of clicks.

*Added 3 new buttons on the trade automation screen along with screens and a popup to save\load trade routes.
Image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1QrPsAJPvJ0QlhXLTZUT0NFWXc/view

*This also includes Commander Bello's domestic advisor display color changes for domestic goods.
*Also caps max crosses to 300 400. (previously was 800 which as per a discussion in the forum, was found to be ridiculously high). If you don't like it just change the \Assets\XML\GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file's IMMIGRATION_MAX_CROSS_LIMIT value.

Trade
Automated trading doesn't get easier than with Taxes and Navigation. This modmod included a new "maximum limit of imports" spinner in the imports\exports popup in the City. Setting a value for this will prevent your importing cities from overflowing with goods beyond this amount, which was painful when it happened with the native version.
You will still be able to perform import\export of a good in the city, provided you give a sufficiently high "import limit". This change integrates with the existing trade system of R&R.
This also modifies the city screen on clicking the Exports button to show only goods that are being produced or traded by the city. Previously, the import and export screens were identical. This will help save the time it takes to locate a yield since we are now showing only the relevant ones. The Imports button works as usual, except for the addition of a the "maximum limit" input and a slight layout edit.

This modmod also contains some small bug-fixes and optimizations of the trade system.

Change list from old releases that are now part of R&R:

Spoiler :

Version 1 Changes: (part of R&R from Release 2.2 onwards)
See quoted post for image
Details here:

Taxes
-----------------------

This is a modmod that alters the way the tax rate increase calculation is performed. This mod places emphasis on the value of yields to faciltate a more balanced export strategy instead of the "export high-value goods only" strategy which was optimal in the R&R mod. Previously, the increase ceiling calculation was done on the volume of yields bought\sold without concern to the value of the goods, thereby punishing players who exported raw materials a bit more via tax increases. I wanted to correct this in order to make the game more historically correct.
Buying goods also contributes only 50% towards tax increases as selling, thereby increasing your incentive to do more bilateral trade.

Navigation
-----------------------
I've included the idea of sectors in the goto map in the port screens. This will allow you to sail to a certain latitude in either the east\west coast. This was mostly born out of the need to not have "dummy colonies" in order to make ships sail to some regions in the Ocean directly. There are now 6 new sectors or geographical zones on each side of the map:
Northern Frigid (Arctic)
Norther Temperate
Northen Tropic
Southern Tropic
Southern Temperate
Southern Frigid (Antarctic)

You will of course have to explore atleast one tile with access to europe in each of the regions to unlock going to that region. The sector can be selected by clicking "Sail to the new world" button on your transport and hovering over the edge of the map in the corresponding region. You will still be able to access the general goto as the native R&R version by going away from the edge.
Version 1.2 updates this feature, so your units will no longer spawn in the middle of the "deep sea", unless you've not discovered a border-to-europe tile in that sector.

This modmod will also feature a "Go to africa\port royal" on clicking the Goto menu list for a unit (or "G" as a shortcut). Thanks to raystuttgart for the suggestion.

Upcoming modmod version:
Trilateral navigation between Europe->Port Royal->Africa

How to install

Backup your R&R folder as your existing saves will not work with this mod-mod.
Plonk the contents of the archive into the Religion and Revolution mod folder as always.
Overwrite existing contents.

If you've already installed another modmod that contains changes to files in the zip, merge the contents of the conflicting files using a tool like WinMerge. (this won't work if the other mod modifies the dll otherwise you should be good to go.)

Download:

Taxes and navigation 2.4.1 for R&R 2.2 (~2MB)

Download Old versions
Spoiler :

Taxes and navigation Graphics for R&R 2.1 (~4MB)
Taxes and navigation 2.3 for R&R 2.1 (~2MB)
Instructions:
Download both graphics and the mod files. (you can skip the graphics if you've already downloaded a previous Taxes and navigation release)
Extract the contents of each into your R&R mod folder

Compatibility version for Schmiddie's edition of R&R 2.1:
Taxes and navigation Compatibility for Schmiddie's edition (92KB)
Instructions:
1) Extract Schmiddie's edition (from the R&R download link)
2) Download and Extract Taxes and navigation 2 for R&R (both mod and graphics files)
3) Extract Compatibility (the above link)

Special thanks to Nightinggale for his previous work on the Imports feeder (saved me a couple of hours in learning how to do some UI things) and to the community for discussing this idea. (check out the "trade automation" thread for more details)

ENJOY!
(modders - you can just search "R&R mod, vetiarvind" if you want to search for my changes in the codebase)

Thanks for the update. :)

I really like the changes to the transportation system and the navigation addition. :goodjob:

I may have found an error in dedicated transports:

Spoiler :

As you can see in the screenshot, my transport is dedicated to deliver from city "05 Newdock" to city "02 Indigo Creek". These are the only orders the transport has been given.
Nevertheless, it just went into city "01 Porto Bello" for unknown reasons (I assume trying to pick up goods there, but none were available).
It may be necessary to know that "01 Porto Bello" is set to export quite some goods of which "05 Newdock" would be the recipient.

To me it looks like under certain conditions the settings for import/export may override the individual settings for the respective transporting unit.

Update: the same just happened with another transport dedicated to deliver to "02 Indigo Creek".

Attachments

• Transport_route_wrong.jpg
    Transport_route_wrong.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 2,226
Yes, "Porto Bello" was the capital.
But as you can see by the white-dotted line in above picture, "Porto Bello" is located west of both, "Indigo Creek" and "Newdock".
Actually, there wasn't any reason why the two transports should have gone to "Porto Bello" as this was clearly denying their respective transport orders (the other transport was designated to transport from a city north of "Indigo Creek")

Hmm, this is very strange. I tried to reproduce the issue under the assumption that this happens when the route is paused, but then the transport simply waits in whichever city it is located as expected. If it is not in a city, say it is on the road when you decrease the "max import limit" so the transport is unable to unload to the destination, it will just wait in the nearest city. What I see on my game is correct behaviour.
Maybe this is a merge issue with your mod(I don't really know since I've tried to reproduce a few times and have been unsuccessful).

If you have a savegame along with just my modmod I will be happy to take a look. If it is your mod-mod, do let me know what the version of your mod-mod is. If you have not released your private version, could you share that with me so I can test it?

Thank you so much for updating the trade calculations - yes, I was one of those players selling raw goods! - and improving the transportation system.

:)

vetiarvind - is this compatible with the new 2.2 RR version? I tried to load and many xml files failed to load and the game ended up crashing :(

Dunpeal - I can't confirm that although I believe it should be compatible considering that no new dll change has been made in the R&R 2.2 version. The version I'm running includes the latest changes on the SVN with my modmod and they are working fine..
Anyway I'm planning on releasing a new version sometime with the ability to save and load trade-route groups. I will test it on a vanilla release of 2.2 and make it officially compatible.
I tried to load and many xml files failed to load and the game ended up crashing
As for the xml files - I haven't either deleted or added any xml file. The only mod-specific edit is in CIV4GameText_Colonization.xml and it adds an entry and renames an existing entry.
Other 2 xml file changes are harmless. Sorry, but I don't know why you're getting this error.

ray has made a new dll after the upload of version 2.2 to infracta - since we located a bug with gigantic maps after the upload of 2.2. Since the infracta guys are currently not available we have changed the upload and now offering the new version with a new dll (but not via infracta). Check the RaR forum for the new download link.

*Fixed forts bug in R&R causing it to not grow inside borders when out of range of a city.

Great. :thumbsup:

Forts can now be grown by any fortifying unit except pioneers (armed with tools and not guns of course).
Previously only infantry that carried muskets could grow forts, but since forts were already underpowered, this makes them more useful.

I kind of like the idea to have the necessity for Infantery (some special Units and Units with armed Professions marked as City Defenders) in Forts.
(Actually those were the Units / Professions I originally wanted AI to use for guarding Forts. However I never really came to implementing really sophisticated AI logic.)

But it doesn't really matter actually as long as it is ensured that the unit guarding a Fort is a military unit at all. :dunno:
(Would be a litte strange to have a Missionary or a Free Colonits without weapons guarding a Fort.)

*A fort's attack chance percent now is slightly reduced upto a max of 20% depending on relative strength between attacker and defender.

What were your reasons for that change ? :think:

*Monasteries' ability to convert has been reduced to one-third of previous for adjacent tiles. This is to fix an exploit where you could build a monastery next to a village and reap converts quickly.

Wouldn't it be better to simply not let Monasteries convert Natives from plots that are Native Villages ? :think:
(Because for Natives just wandering around and accidently passing a Monastery, the balancing seemed ok in my tests / games.)

Alternatively a minimal distance of 2 plots to the next Native Village (when checking if a Monastery can be built) could be implemented.
(Might even be the better implementation variant. Also from a perspective of "authenticity" / "realism".)

Exploiting Monasteries by building them directly next to a village was really not my intended use of the feature.

*Doubled military FF points for experience gained and small bonuses for razing\conquering cities. (thanks to Marla_Singer for noting this issue)

Sounds good. :thumbsup:

Military FF points are really a bit hard to get in comparison to other FF points that (more or less) directly scale with the size of your empire.

*Crosses max limit set to 400 from previous version 300.

400 Sounds ok. :thumbsup:

But of course this will result in a lot more immigrants in late game, than with the original setting of 800.
(Which isn't necessarily bad.)

Trade Groups for Automation (new in 2.4)

Sounds interesting. :thumbsup:

Could you give some screenshots ?

Upcoming modmod version:

That would be great. :)

-------

Edit:
Thanks again for all your great work and your support. :goodjob:

Hi vetiarvind,

I'm really interested by your modmod, especially about the ability to group trade routes.

Indeed, it can happen during the game that you need to use a nearby chariot which is on a regular trade route just for an emergency task. I usually don't like to make it abandon its trade routes as it's time consuming to restore them back later properly. With the grouping feature, it could be done in no time.

Tell us when you'll have corrected the artillery bug so that I could be able to test it. :)

Indeed, it can happen during the game that you need to use a nearby chariot which is on a regular trade route just for an emergency task. I usually don't like to make it abandon its trade routes as it's time consuming to restore them back later properly. With the grouping feature, it could be done in no time.

Yes that is one of the uses but wagons and ships sometime forget their routes during "danger" periods as well. Also when you make automated ships pick up immigrants.

Tell us when you'll have corrected the artillery bug so that I could be able to test it. :)
I thought Schmiddie had that fixed graphic issue? Oh, you are referring to the xml change... Yes, that will be part of my new upcoming "Taxes and navigation 3 - Super Forts Edition" version.

I kind of like the idea to have the necessity for Infantery (some special Units and Units with armed Professions marked as City Defenders) in Forts.
(Actually those were the Units / Professions I originally wanted AI to use for guarding Forts. However I never really came to implementing really sophisticated AI logic.)
But it doesn't really matter actually as long as it is ensured that the unit guarding a Fort is a military unit at all. :dunno:
(Would be a litte strange to have a Missionary or a Free Colonits without weapons
guarding a Fort.)
What were your reasons for that change ? :think:
My assumption is that since a fort's attack does not have anything to do with the unit in the code, the fort itself comes with weapons. For example, cannons behind walls. I don't think of forts as a "wall of wood". :)
The only exception is pioneers do not utilize the forts in my future mod (other than the defense boost). This is to prevent pioneers who are building improvements to be considered as "defenders". Also, since the "super forts" are expensive, it makes sense that they are armed.

As part of my upcoming mod, if a worker works on a fort tile, it will no longer upgrade.

As to the 20% chance of hitting depending on relative strength..It is to simulate the "proficiency" of units to use the "fort's weaponry".. Well trained line infantry should do a better job of attacking with a fort than the missionary, to use your example. Similarly, better trained units will do a better job of evading cannon fire than poorly trained ones. (such as hiding behind natural defenses like mounds and rocks)

Upcoming modmod version:
I really don't know if I will be doing this since I personally don't find the need to do use this often, or automation between the three ports. Maybe I will at some point, but no promise.

Wouldn't it be better to simply not let Monasteries convert Natives from plots that are Native Villages ? :think:
(Because for Natives just wandering around and accidently passing a Monastery, the balancing seemed ok in my tests / games.)
I have actually already done this as part of my upcoming "super forts" release. Thanks for confirming this is the right way to go as well. I have also removed the "monastery nerf" to half of strength instead of one-third for adjacent tiles, since we're now skipping cities.
Could you give some screenshots ?
I thought the image I attached in the main page shows the screenshot? Pls. let me know if you are not able to view it.
------
Thanks again for all your great work and your support. :goodjob:
Thanks Ray for building a great mod which makes this possible.

Top Bottom