TSG98 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG98 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did the patch changes impact your play or strategy?
- Did you find these changes to specifically help or hinder playing as Byzantium? If so, how?
- Did Byzantium's unique traits play a role? If so, how?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

I won the game after 267 turns. I took Sacred Sites but tried for a more scientific peaceful approach. Greece was the issue being halfway across the map. He had 9 cities and I felt that would be too many to wipe off the map. It would take ages to send over a Muscician. So, I founded a city on an island next to me and gifted it. It feel kinda cheap, but I wish I had thought of it 50 turns sooner.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 98
Date submitted: 2014-11-15 17:23:28
Reference number: 31917
Your name: vadalaz
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 900AD
Turns played: 155
Base score: 513
Final score: 1654
Time played: 1:50:00

Full Piety Sacred Sites here. Russia, America and Korea went Tradition so I wiped out Korea, took Moscow and Boston to slow down Cathy's and Washington's cpt, and sent caravans from those cities for the 25% bonus. America DoW'd me in the end along with 3 other civs but it didn't matter.

Game date: 1620AD
Turns played: 234
Base score: 756
Final score: 1643
Time played: 2:21:00

I settled in place, went for Liberty and Piety. It was peaceful game, just in the end Korea and Huns conquered me three cities - so it slowed me down few turns. I discovered Polynesia too late, but the the main problem was Amerika with a lot of culture - but nice concert show helped. In the end I had 11 cities - if I did more it would be faster - or maybe some conquest would help too.

Spoiler :
Date submitted: 2014-11-16 06:59:19
Reference number: 31925
Your name: Fayl
Game date: 1500AD
Turns played: 210
Base score: 1009
Final score: 2402
Time played: 2:11:00
Submitted save: f_tsg98_t210.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Fayl_C509801.Civ5Save
Using sacred sites (I went for liberty settler, then reformation). Fortunately astronomy wasn't needed. I had 3 "big" cities at around 10 pop and the rest was 2-3 pop (overall ~17-18 cities settled by the end with 70 tourism in total).
Wonders: I built pyramids early, because Ormus had no workers to steal until around t50 and I didn't have optics by then. After that oracle to speed-up reformation and then Borobudur and Great Mosque to get the religion going.
Religion: pantheon was tricky -- there wasn't any good faith pantheons for starting location -- I decided to go for tundra faith, as I had just placed my city near the southern tundra. For religion I took +2 gold per city, pagodas and mosques, for enhancing religious texts and happiness from shrines (buildings were taken by then).

I slightly screwed up, because I forgot to keep open borders and trade routes with others and had to kill america because of that (would need ~30 more turns otherwise).
Nobody DoWed me, I started several wars when exploring early to get past civs borders faster with ships.

Kind of fun to play Prince. Played three ways using this game to test what's better. One, built GL first to get technology needs out of the way. Two, straight piety. Three, Liberty/Pyramids first to settler and then piety.

No wars to help.

Was over 200 turns each time, but feel straight piety was best on this map. Maybe if there had been more room, a settler spam would have been more advantageous. (Perhaps Attila to the East should not have kept me from settling over there.)

Didn't apparently need much tech help from the GL and it slowed down the start.

Thanks for the setup. Enjoyed the game.

Am I senile or did the game formerly allow settling one tile closer to other cities than it does now? If so, that change in the patch makes settler spams a bit less powerful, IMO.

Am I senile or did the game formerly allow settling one tile closer to other cities than it does now? If so, that change in the patch makes settler spams a bit less powerful, IMO.

It is still the same, there must be a minimum 3 tiles between every city (or a city every 4th tile) but small islands (usually the 1-tile islands) can make for situational rule-breaking. You can settle on an island that is closer than the 4th tile but foreign city borders may still factor into this.

HR

Your name: sebtanic
Game date: 1814AD
Turns played: 277
Base score: 1156
Final score: 2101

Tough one. America ran off on culture and was hard to catch up with.

I settled 1SW which gave me a few more resources (Marble yay!) but later I realized that I lost the river and chance for a garden. Faster wonders but slower great people.

Initial build order:
Monument - shrine - worker - Stonehenge

Tech:
Pottery - mining - Calendar - AH - Masonry - Sailing - Writing

Policies:
Piety - Org.Rel. - Liberty left side - finished piety - Aesthetics (full)

Got Gods of the Sea turn 21 - very useful on an island map.

Founded eastern Orthodoxy, cathedrals were already gone but got pagodas and mosques, and 2 gold per city.
Enhanced it turn 114 (Religous texts for faster spread, and monasteries)
Sacred sites t134

Settled my 2nd city near the Huns, on a sweet spot near Copper, Bison, Wheat and some natural wonder mountain (the one that gives altitude training)
Attila DOWed me and I decided to wipe him out as I didn't want to have him bugging me all game.
He had a large army initially but it was all over the place so I quickly made mincemeat of him with my Dromons and a few CBs and pikes.

Unfortunately Warmonger penalty is still tough even post patch, most of the other civs kept denouncing me afterwards. It was tough to get open borders, especially with America who refused for a loooong time.

At one point Korea and Carthage DOWed me simultaneously, their turtle ships managed to take a city I had slipped in on the Korean continent (near the sugar) but when I almost had it back Korea sued for peace and gave it to me for free.

Carthage also sued for peace then and gave me Utique - nice!

It was difficult to produce happiness however, happiness buildings seemed to not be effective in all those small cities. When it says "cannot produce more happiness than there are citizens in the city" does that count for all happiness buildings together? I always thought it was for the individual buildings (i.e. if I build a pagoda in a size 2 city it will give me 2 happiness regardless) but maybe I was mistaken. I do not normally city spam. Had fun with it this time though producing all that tourism :p

When I was influential most of the other civs I decided to take out America as I couldnt wait any longer. Sent my army to his lands but saw he had Musketmen against my pikes (I could have sent them back to upgrade but it would have taken a while). Washington asked what are my large numbers of units doing near their borders, and I decided to postpone attacking and try to Musician Bomb him first.

Had three musicians parked in my lands and sent them over, when they arrived they did a triple headliner tour through the States and 3 turns later culture victory was mine.

First time I ever won culture in Renaissance era! :)

Date submitted: 2014-11-22 14:21:38
Reference number: 31949
Your name: x2madda
Game date: 1615AD
Base score: 790
Final score: 1717
Time played: 2:48:00

Spoiler :
Carthage
Objective: To get a Cultural victory.
Turn 1, move warriors south, I see a mountain and some desert.
I decide to settle one space north so I can settle a second city on the desert and take

+1 faith from desert tiles. I start building a monument and toggle between growth and

production so the city can grow to size two faster while still getting culture ASAP
My plan is to dip into Piety and then into Liberty so I can build lots of cities and

abuse sacred sites.

Turn 24, the Piety start pays off, I am really divded between +1 culture from shrines or

the +1 from desert. Their are patches of desert around but not a lot and nothing

worthwhile either. I go ahead with +1 faith from deserts. I decide to settle my second

city directly on desert for the faith as i really want to be the first to get to beliefs

and I am fearful of the AI building stonehenge

Turn 30 I settle my second city and not a moment too soon, local barbarians are running

amock. I decide to use my starting warrior ro kill them without investing in military

right now. More than anything I want faith!

Turn 37 working on another settler and I get notice that someone has adopted a panthenon.

It is late but it also means they are now gaining faith which worries me. I hope Arabia

is not in the game because out of all the faith based leaders they are the strongest at

pushing faith fast and are a huge thorn.

Turn 51 A golden age occours which is surprising because my lack of a worker and owning 3

cities with no points in either Liberty or Tradition means I am running thin on happy

faces. I don't really care right now as my goal is just to get more shrines up and get

that faith. Scouting out my starting location their is little worthwhile room here worth

expanding into. I will have to set sail to find better spots. I have also pumped into the

Huns, Russia and Polynasia.

Turn 64 two turns prior (turn 62) russia gains a panthenon, extremely late to the part

but I am still nervous. Turn 63 a GP is born and turn 64 I burn him to found my faith. I

pick Mosques and Cathedrals. Normally I am short on spaces to place a great artist so

while Pagodas are almost always a must have pick, for now I am risking them because

Mosques will give more faith over all at +3 and the catherdrals will allow me to plant GA

so I can get more tourism that way.
I also build no libraries of any kind whatsoever! I want to delay science (specifically

advancing eras) so that faith purchase costs are low. I need to get those faith buildings

so I can pump that tourism ASAP!

Turn 123 an unmet nation still lurks and this is really bad! I have met every other

nation except one and whomever this one is, I may have to kill because the tourism will

not build up fast enough against them, unlike everyone else. The first mosques are

starting to go down now and the +2 tourism is growing to +4 and +6 with every passing

purchase. Remember the huns? They decided to leave a large empty spot on their island so

I settled on it.
For a few turns the huns marched menacingly against my borders, I expected war but never

really prepared for it, hoping that the huns were just annoyed at me and letting me know,

and even if they did declare I imagined I could hold them off easily. I was wrong!
War begins and at first it is swordsmen. No problem, i weaken them so they can kill

themselves when they kamikaze against the city. It is in the process of building walls

anyway but I lack the funds to fast buy them. Then the battering rams turn up and its all

over. The city is holding on by a shoelace, surprisingly but it won't be long before it

falls. I sell it to Korea for 5gpt and he proceeds to set it ablaze. I will be back

Attila.

Turn 151 my religion is complete and not a moment too soon, Russia only a few turns later

founds Buddism and then this turn that unmet player founds Protestism. I am very anxious

to meet them because the gears of sacred sites is beginning to turn and I have met

everyone by now except one.

Turn 162 even Korea is worshipping its own gods now but I don't care, i don't need to

care because I don't need to spread my faith, I benefit the most when I am using it

myself. Speaking of which the fruits of my labour have really paid off. I take over one

civ with tourism and it looks like the others are not far off either. 162 turns the game

tells me, but I won't wait that long. The goal is to win with tourism and if I have to

kill everyone to do that then I will! Their corpses can come visit my hotels. I am

building an army to get revenge on Attilia. It dawns on me too that I have a lot of gold

and a lot of faith, originally I was going to burn everything down but looking at it now,

I can buy courthouses, convert the cities to my faith and viola, instant happiness and

more tourism!

Turn 200 I have decided I want to finish this game by turn 250. seems resonable since a

lot more civs are under my sway now but my not finding america until later has really

hurt me like I knew it would. I leave attilia with one city, I was tempted to knock him

out the game but it dawned on me that I already dominate him culturally so killing him is

fruitless. I would be better off moving my army overseas and knocking America out. As the

last civ I met, they will take the longest to overcome. The other civs will be under my

thrall in 30 turns or less except America so I move my army to the oceans, we set sail,

for America!

Turn 220 Korea has an army and my army is floating in the sea. I bribe Korea to attack

America but as it turns out they must have been itching for an excuse because all they

want is one horse! I give it to them with my blessings! And war begins. Korea takes the

city state of Mombasa and America takes it back. This repeats over and over until America

has no army left. Korea then takes over one of Americas three cities and America is

unable to take it back. Better than planned because now America is not going to be

working culture. Everyone has granted me open borders and I have trade routes finishing

off the last of the resisters of my culture! I spawned a GP but my lack of technological

prowess is finally starting to hurt me! He can't cross ocean tiles and it will take him

11 turns to get to America! That is 10 turns too long but if I decalre war now I will

lose open borders and the trade route bonus. I park my army again, restless every turn as

I wait for Korea to polish off Americas army, content in the knowledge that Americas

culture will not be growing unless they trigger a golden age and I should win soon.

Turn 233 I won. My GP was constantly blocked by Korean ships heading off to America so

that 11 turns turned into he never made it at all!
If I could have done anything better or faster I really don't know what. Having four

cities was unfortunate because every step of the way I was wishing I had taken tradition

instead. When Attilia burned down my fifth city it was a minor set back but at the time

it seemed like a major one, if their was ever a point I felt like quitting, that would

have been it. I knew war would slow me down but as it turned out it didn't slow me all

that much actually and it did infact help me. With no faith buildings left to buy,

annexing cities and then buying all 3 faith buildings really shot my tourism up! Open

borders is so cheap to buy early in the game and the +25% bonus is a huge deal!
The lack of places to expand really hurt but even with more places to go, I doubt it

would have made a difference because I was hurting for culture and faith every step of

the way, not because I didn't have enough but because I wanted as much as I could get!
I never did touch liberty or tradition, I had an extra SP at the game end and that went

into city states. I had only met four! Their were obviously more on the map but my train

of thought was to get them in my good books so I can gain bonus faith and culture from

them but the game ended before that ever happened.

Sacred shrines seemed like the obvious way to go and I don't feel that making a super

capital would have faired a faster win time. If anything I think it would have made it

take longer in terms of game turns because I would be waiting on hotels to really push

tourism. Normally when I play for tourism, war is never a thought in my mind. I need

those open borders anyway and being a warmonger just makes people not want to give you

anything but this time it really worked out. I started taking cities the moment I had

nothing left to faith buy so when I saw my money and I saw my faith I realized that

rather than just puppet Attilias capital and declare peace, I should take over all his

cities, buy courthouses and then shove holy buildings in them instead. Near the game end

I made a new city just to get those religious buildings into it, trying to push my win

time down even more since America was the only civ with double digits before I won/

Everyone else was showing 5 turns or less before they were under my thumb. Attila amazing

built the great library and only ever declared war on me, he also built the great

lighthouse and extremely surprisingly had his great library filled with great works of

writing! Taking him out was the best thing I could have done and I put his great works of

writing to good use to bolster my tourism even more, trading them away to get the +2

theming bonus. Speaking of which, I settled every GP I spawned with the exception of a GM

which I used for favor and gold with the local CS. That gold was perfect for buying more

courthouses and I do not regret it at all.

My science was a joke, this is the first time I have never built any libraries, ever. How

I even kept up is an amazing feat as my cities were all set to production in order to

keep population low. Somehow though the order was given to grow as much and as fast as

possible because every city except my capital just refused to stop growing! It was kind

of embarressing seeing my tiny size 5 capital amongst all these size 11, 12 cities.

Won a cultural victory on T187.

Strategy: Full piety sacred sites, spam cities, then full liberty for the free musician.

Early game is described in more detail in the Opening actions thread. Monument, scout, shrine, settler, worker. Stone circles was the most faith giving pantheon. Founded with +2gold/city, mosques, pagodas. Enhanced with cathedrals and cheap missionaires on T106 when finished Oracle.Did stonhenge on T91.

Byzantium traits were perfect - 3 faith buildings and Dromons ruled the seas.

Cities - had 13 and later build 3 more, but they were not needed. Took Atillas capital after he DoWed me T95 for settling the nice spot NW on his continent. Dromons are Great! Build a lot of them early for scounting.

Met Dido, Attila, Russia, Washington, Korea early, then Alex somewhat later, but Polynesia only very late. Luckily they were so behind in culture, that they were influential as 2nd civ. They got 2 settler captured by barbs.

The only real problem was Washington. I relied on more cities and more buildings and the liberty musician. Musician saved me 1 turn in the end :p Forgot about the same religion bonus, so converted him very late, Could have saved 10-20 turns if doing it early. Should have attacked him to crush his culture. Especially his 2 golden ages were pain. But after compass I was able to sneak a trade route to him and maxed the 75% bonus for some 129 tourism per turn to him.

I did not use missionaries to spread in my cities. I kept them at 1 pop and after 2-4 turns they got converted. I think that the map was Great for this strategy as there were a lot of small islands, which cities could be placed. I settled 6 on my continent, got 4 on Attillas and 3 on islands. Gifted one to Washington for the musician.

Date submitted: 2014-11-27 09:09:04
Reference number: 31975
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1804AD
Turns played: 272
Base score: 1168
Final score: 2162
Time played: 4:35:00
Submitted save: TSG98_Culture_Victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C509801.Civ5Save

I got 4 cities out fast, but should have gone Tradition instead of Liberty or probably have just gone right for Piety. I did get Sacred Sites with Mosques, Pagodas and Monasteries, but never went beyond the first 4 cities, which was a huge mistake. I probably should have gone to Piety first and just spammed cities.

Date submitted: 2014-11-28 08:40:52
Reference number: 31976
Your name: glory7
Game date: 900AD
Turns played: 155
Base score: 753
Final score: 2429
Time played: 1:57:00
Submitted save: glory7_gotm98_0155 AD-0900.Civ5Save
Renamed file: glory7_C509801.Civ5Save

thanksgiving civ5 game.

usual sacred sites. I saved ruins for faith, but failed to get any. Could have saved several turns with an early faith ruin.

religion choices: god-king, initiation rites+mosque +stone circles, itinerant preacher+pagoda.

cap BO: monument - scout - granary - shrine - worker - stonehenge - 2 dromons - work boat - settler - cargo ship - etc - oracle - settler pumping

I got bored after t100 and just clicked next turn without thinking much. I even forgot to change cap tile placements and cap pop dropped to 4 from 8 b/c of starvation :eek:

Date submitted: 2014-11-28 13:33:09
Reference number: 31977
Your name: Quizman
Game date: 1620AD
Base score: 1025
Final score: 2228
Time played: 4:01:00

A most enjoyable game. Cultural win with Byzantium is my favourite scenario as it is usually easy to pull off a CV of some sort.

I played it as a variation on my usual tactics, but with more top line techs in view of the watery nature on the map. Initial techs were something like pottery, mining, masonry, animal husbandry, sailing, optics, trapping, calendar. I took writing late as I did not want to reach renaissance (more on that later).

Went for left hand liberty then most of piety (apart from the bottom left one - can't remember its name), back to Liberty to finish and finally opened aesthetics. Made a mess of my liberty gp finisher. I mis-clicked a merchant instead of musician and that probably cost me 10 turns at the end.

Settled in place and got out as many settlers as I could until happiness became an issue. Initial city build was monument, shrine, worker, pyramids, settler, dromon settler, dromon, settler, workboat. Eventually moved on to Oracle, but missed Great Lighthouse by 1 turn. I could really have done with that.

It was mostly peaceful. I deliberately settled on Attila's island to provoke him and it worked. I held him at bay with a couple of dromon and composites killing as many units as possible and then, after compass, took his capital with 3 galleas's and my lone warrior. Piece of cake. No losses at all. Took his other main city too for good measure leaving him stranded on a small island.

Sacred sites was easily obtained at this difficulty. Religion was stone circles, initiation rites, pagodas/mosques/cathedrals and religious texts.

One thing I did learn about the game mechanics that I was not aware of before is when you move to renaissance. I assumed it would be when completing the first renaissance tech. I wanted to keep out of it because of the increased cost of faith purchases and I did not need astronomy as the AI were reachable without ocean-going abilities. My initial plan was to complete all medieval techs and then leave each renaissance tech with 1 turn remaining. But as soon as I filled out medieval I moved to renaissance. Is it supposed to do that ? It did not matter greatly because I still had enough faith to complete faith buildings in 2 turns.

Most AI's were easy to influence. Only Spain was problematic. She refused open borders after half way even when I offered 70 gpt. I got a revenge of sorts by swinging a prophet her way and converting her. It was payback for all the missionaries she sent my way. Another mistake was not realising how slow the AI is getting religion. I should have sent out missionaries much sooner.

But don't missionaries and prophets take ages to travel anywhere over water!

Enough said. A fun game.

T222 Domination victory.

Slow start, then some science build up, Oxford Navigation - pretty late, went for other techs first, then build up Frigates and conquered every capital, the AI was behind, easy job for my Frigates, had only 8 of them cause of lack of iron, so needed to go 1 cap by 1, but still pretty easy noone had even Galleases to defend themselves.

Game date: 1903AD
Turns played: 323
Base score: 1436
Final score: 2243

Bit of a lame finish, advanced too quickly through the tech tree so I ended up getting great people slowly due to increased costs (completely forgot about this!). Also should have gone to war / bribed others later on with the remaining civs that I wasn't dominant with but frankly I was too lazy ;)

Enjoyable game though :)

- stride

Hahahahaha.... I played this thinking science victory was the goal !!!

OMG !

Date submitted: 2014-12-01 05:04:36
Reference number: 31990
Your name: Beto_java
Game status: Science Wrong VC
Game date: 1945AD
Turns played: 365
Base score: 1948
Final score: 2668
Time played: 5:22:00
Submitted save: Final_Theodora_0365 AD-1945.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Beto_java_C509801.Civ5Save

Game date: 1943AD
Turns played: 363
Base score: 2123
Final score: 2948
Time played: 14:16:00
Theodora could have won faster if I'd have attacked one of the neighbours earlier. Peace is good, but in history and in this game structure there's no dominant civilization that goes 6,000 years without at least one war.
After I got Sacred Sites keeping my own cities Taoist should have been more of a priority--more Inquisiters. Similarly I should have been ready to covert conquered cities at the moment of conquest. The good news was I got cathedrals, pagodas and mosques.

Date submitted: 2014-12-09 16:08:20
Reference number: 32022
Your name: narciseris
Game date: 1938AD
Turns played: 358
Base score: 1887
Final score: 2657
Time played: 9:59:00

first time posting, well... It didn't take me the longest. and next turn I would've had a diplomatic victory... probably should've declared some war in this one to finish faster.

Date submitted: 2014-12-09 16:08:20
Reference number: 32022
Your name: narciseris
Game date: 1938AD
Turns played: 358
Base score: 1887
Final score: 2657
Time played: 9:59:00

first time posting, well... It didn't take me the longest. and next turn I would've had a diplomatic victory... probably should've declared some war in this one to finish faster.

Welcome to CFC and to Game of the Month! Thanks for joining the conversation and have fun.

HR

Top Bottom