Civilization Online !

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
Civilization Online will be a MMO based on the Sid Meier franchise, developed by the corean XL Games (ArcheAge) and edited by 2K.

Here is a link of a french site, with a video. http://www.gameblog.fr/news/47118-civilization-online-le-mmo-de-xl-games-archeage-se-montre-en

For now, according to the video, it seems that we could evolve as a builder or a fighter in order to improve our civilization. It's not really realistic and more fantasy than anything else, but it seems that the technologies will be in at least.

Seems very, very promising !

I think I just threw up a little. Koreans should never be allowed to develop games.

I mean, the building stuff and having sieges and battles seems like an eat idea and is probably something some sort of MMO/mp game could make great use of but everything else is just... wat? It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Civilization games, a bunch of messed up Korean fantasy designs that make even bear cavalry look anything but awesome. No wonder this is only being released in Korea, it would not succeed anywhere else outside of Asia.

I think I just threw up a little. Koreans should never be allowed to develop games.

It's not about Koreans beside the Art Design and the fantasy taint. It's about Civ and evolving into a civilization which seems extremely interesting.

EDIT : from where do you know it will be release in Korea only ? The news talk about Korea only bêta for now, not else much.

What. The. F.......

I don't really care about MMO's anyway but this looks totally pony.

Can you say "cash grab?"

I think I'll pass.

Oh! It's that one I heard about where you can be an ordinary citizen and work with other people to build a civilization, innit? I was quite intrigued by that.

Might be cool

From the game's official site:

Link to video.

Ha ha, good joke Sid, good joke.

I don't see where in the video you posted it is specified only for Korea. Plus, the people speak english.

And, your link leads to... youtube. Someone in the comments (an anonymous) just says "nah" to this question, but I guess it's a matter of taste rather than true information.

It is unlikely they will release the game outside of Asia, there are a lot of costs associated with setting up a western (NA/EU) release of a game, servers, advertising, localization, possibly changing stuff in the game (ie toning down the amount of grind), and having to support that in addition to the Asian version. Plays Korean MMOs tend to be Pay2Win.

Civ Online's design is just so utterly alien that it will alienate most western players as it is too, and it is unlikely to capture much of the same market as the Civ games do.

It is unlikely they will release the game outside of Asia, there are a lot of costs associated with setting up a western (NA/EU) release of a game, servers, advertising, localization, possibly changing stuff in the game (ie toning down the amount of grind), and having to support that in addition to the Asian version.

Isn't all this tranlates by being adapted to the western region ? A lot of games are adapted alike, not only from East to West, but also from West to East.

If you ask me, there's nothing insurmontable or extraordinary to this.

And if it's so unlikely, can you explain me why the video is in english ? Serious question.

I think 2K wants to take the temperature with this video, and see the people feedback.

Plays Korean MMOs tend to be Pay2Win.

I don't know.

Civ Online's design is just so utterly alien that it will alienate most western players as it is too, and it is unlikely to capture much of the same market as the Civ games do.

Another broken assumption based on nothing (but your own disdaining feelings).

About the market, well... I would say it's the games that create the markets, not the contrary, otherwise it's a very bad idea. (probably already seen though)

wasnt there a civ fb game years ago?

I never understood any bit of that game.

Isn't all this tranlates by being adapted to the western region ? A lot of games are adapted alike, not only from East to West, but also from West to East.

If you ask me, there's nothing insurmontable or extraordinary to this.

Its not insurmountable just expensive, perhaps they are testing the waters for a possible release outside of Korea but I have not seen any announcements they intend to do so. ArcheAge, another Korean MMORPG, did take a year to come out in the West, although Trion seems intent on milking it as Pay2Win.

Another broken assumption based on nothing (but your own disdaining feelings).
It is based on what games are and are not popular and do well in the west and years of experience reading news and discussion and trends in gaming and interacting with other gamers online.

Maybe they will still try a western release, maybe not. It won't be a big success though.

About the market, well... I would say it's the games that create the markets, not the contrary, otherwise it's a very bad idea. (probably already seen though)
Yes and no, there certainly tend to be trends of demands for certain games, usually related to the biggest hit (ie CoD 4's success kind of kicked off a lot of shooters being modern military based ones and much less focus on WW2, but that is partly devs/publishers jumping on the bandwagon). In Asia, however, they are so used to these grindy (often extremely grindy), pay2win (or at least extremely microtransaction heavy) MMORPGs and a lot of people there are used to and expect those games.

Although that is completely taken advantage of and abused by publishers and developers, Guild Wars 2's China release and version has a lot more microtransactions because they can get away with that there.

Asian MMORPGs do have some and in a few cases/periods of time many, players in western countries too, but generally are a turn off to most players.

Wow this looks terrible, like most Asian MMOs.

I think I just threw up a little. Koreans Canadians should never be allowed to develop games.

Fixed for Maniacal !

What next?
German games are too "complex" and to "Hard" for "Non Germans" ?
Japanese games are too many "Japanese cultural references", "over sexualized" and too "long" ?

Its not like your being forced to play Korean style "grind", and "cash grab" mmos.
I'll give it a go, its free to play so why not.

EDIT: Make sure to join the Asian faction, cause non Asian civilizations are all going to be Boned.

:mischief:

The game's art direction is absolutely awful, I don't see how it translates into a Civ game at all.

The game's art direction is absolutely awful, I don't see how it translates into a Civ game at all.

Come on think of how long we waited for a Civilzation MMO game.
With lots of killing each other and grinding.

exciting sandbox in which players will collaborate to explore the world, acquire resources, craft new inventions, advance through tech eras, found cities, build Wonders, and wage PvP wars with other civilizations.

Exploration, according to Massively , involves a unique twist: it sounds like weekly map updates will add more land around each civ's main encampment until all four bump into each other. Players won't know the tech status of other civs until they meet.

so PvP combat is certain. "We are expecting that most people will spend their time killing other people," Song told Massively. Starting cities will be safe, but others are up for grabs

20 Min tutorial Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuT0jkmZiE

Top Bottom