An Open Invitation- Or Badly Worded

Convict

Warlord
"I notice you have been digging in our borders- this needs to stop..."

"We never meant any offence in stealing your cultural heritage..."

"Thank you for heeding..."

However, at no stage do you ever say you will not dig again. Implied perhaps.

Just ignore them. Lel.

The problem is that even if you explain how you never actually made any promises to them, they will still react as if you did.
It might you feel less guilty, but that's all.

I find that it is usually unnecessary to Steal Artifacts from AI territory and face the related AI Diplomatic Penalties. Conversely, stealing Artifacts from City States carries no AI Diplomatic Penalties. Therefore, if I need a few more Artifacts for Themed Bonuses I look to nearby City States to avoid an International Incident.

Just an FYI: if you're like me and just can't help grabbing the artifacts, you can pretty easily park archeologists on an AIs sites and time them to finish on the same turn. You can collect an unlimited number of artifacts and only get the "stop digging" dialogue once. You can then happily agree to stop robbing them blind.

...then you unlock hidden sites, but that's another story.

Just an FYI: if you're like me and just can't help grabbing the artifacts, you can pretty easily park archeologists on an AIs sites and time them to finish on the same turn. You can collect an unlimited number of artifacts and only get the "stop digging" dialogue once. You can then happily agree to stop robbing them blind.

...then you unlock hidden sites, but that's another story.

It still counts as breaking the promise of stopping.
If you steal only one fine, if you steal more than one, promise broken! Even when you stole every single artifact in a single turn.

There was a bunch of whine in this forum about posters couldn't exploit the AI like that.

I find that it is usually unnecessary to Steal Artifacts from AI territory and face the related AI Diplomatic Penalties. Conversely, stealing Artifacts from City States carries no AI Diplomatic Penalties. Therefore, if I need a few more Artifacts for Themed Bonuses I look to nearby City States to avoid an International Incident.
Taking any artifact site within CS territory is a no-brainer, if for nothing else then to prevent AI from getting them. I agree that taking all sites within AI territory isn't always necessary, but I do try to take always one. If I intend to finish Exploration, I will sometimes take any hidden site and make a landmark of it if it doesn't contain the cultural renaissance, particularly if it's not close to major city; this is particularly valuable if you can make a landmark that's actually out of workable distance from their cities because you still get the diplomatic bonus.

It still counts as breaking the promise of stopping.
If you steal only one fine, if you steal more than one, promise broken! Even when you stole every single artifact in a single turn.

There was a bunch of whine in this forum about posters couldn't exploit the AI like that.

Oh, thanks for the correction. Didn't realize that timing of multiple grabs doesn't matter. I was under the impression that if you stole the works before you promised, you couldn't incur the penalty. You know, what with our experience of time being linear and all... It's easy to forget that it's all just code.

When BNW was first released, I recall that you could do the "multiple artifacts on the same turn" dodge, but that they patched it out, IIRC, in the October 2013 balance patch.

How often do you find sites within City State boundaries? I haven't played that many BNW games, but on Large maps I have yet to find any within City State borders. However I usually find enough in unclaimed territory to fill my museums anyway.

There's actually a reason for this

In one of the Fall Patches (there was only one :lol:) they added the ability to dig, but instead of stealing the artifact, turning that dig into a monument, giving you a relationship boost with the nation.

How often do you find sites within City State boundaries? I haven't played that many BNW games, but on Large maps I have yet to find any within City State borders. However I usually find enough in unclaimed territory to fill my museums anyway.

Strange... there's almost always a site either inside a CS territory or very close by, at least in my experience.

Top Bottom