Are Civs with early UUs (Huns,Assyria,Mongol) worthless on higher difficulties?

Are Civs with early UUs who are ancient conquest based worthless on immortal-diety?

• Yes. Utterly Worthless.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I can own regularly with all those civs on immortal-diety.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Maybe. I like PIE.

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
UUs aren't the most important aspect of a civ, it's their UA that has the most influence.

Assyria is fine. Have you tried them? 2 siege towers backed up by composites destroy units and cities.

The Mongols are fine. Keshiks are amazing base units and upgrade from chariot archers. They get logistics stupidly fast. Then they get range. 5 Keshiks and a horseman can clear a deity Pangaea before they become obsolete, provided you prebuild chariots and tech to chivalry before education.

The Huns are not fine on deity, at least for me. Their UUs are amazing individually, but unless I get a free battering ram and a close enough neighbor to harass effectively, I cannot get enough horses and rams to attack before T50, and by then the AI can counter me effectively. Part of the problem in that rams cost 75 hammers, instead of 56. If I need 4 horses and 2 rams to make a go, which is not that many units, that's 350 hammers, or at least 20 turns that early in the game. I actually wish the battering ram and siege tower were switched, although this may hurt Assyria significantly. But classical era siege towers? I guess, but I don't associate Iron IIB with the classical era, although the game puts ironworking after that with currency. Nor do I think of the Huns as ancient era, seeing as they conquered in the 6th c. CE.

Assyria is fine. Have you tried them? 2 siege towers backed up by composites destroy units and cities.

The Mongols are fine. Keshiks are amazing base units and upgrade from chariot archers. They get logistics stupidly fast. Then they get range. 5 Keshiks and a horseman can clear a deity Pangaea before they become obsolete, provided you prebuild chariots and tech to chivalry before education.

The Huns are not fine on deity, at least for me. Their UUs are amazing individually, but unless I get a free battering ram and a close enough neighbor to harass effectively, I cannot get enough horses and rams to attack before T50, and by then the AI can counter me effectively. Part of the problem in that rams cost 75 hammers, instead of 56. If I need 4 horses and 2 rams to make a go, which is not that many units, that's 350 hammers, or at least 20 turns that early in the game. I actually wish the battering ram and siege tower were switched, although this may hurt Assyria significantly. But classical era siege towers? I guess, but I don't associate Iron IIB with the classical era, although the game puts ironworking after that with currency. Nor do I think of the Huns as ancient era, seeing as they conquered in the 6th c. CE.

This thread is my bad.

It is poorly worded and thought out. I have not tried the assyrians or the mongols. I should not have lumped them in with the huns and this thread should just be about the huns.

Ok, now about the huns..

THEY SUUUUUUUUUUCK ON IMMORTAL AND DIETY!!! OMG! ARRRRRRGH!!!

OK, thanks for letting me get that of my chest. :p

Once again I am sorry for lumping 2 civs (mongols and assyrians) who I do not even play with the huns..which I have played and despise with a ungodly passion.

If anyone owns with them god bless your better than me.

I think it depends on how good you are. I know there are some that can make a good go of the Huns on deity, but I'm not one of them. I can win a deity game with the Huns, no problem, but not early domination using their UUs. I don't have the skills necessary, especially warring skills. I'd build horse archers for defense, and take a CS if I got a free ram, but I can't go to town on the AI like some can.

Does that make them broken? No. Because if I switch to Immortal I'd wreck the AI with the Huns. I was just outlining the problem I have with them personally. Do they need changing overall? I don't think so.

To own with The Huns, get some Horse Archers and then get 2 Rams. Shoot everything and then move 2 Rams into position. The AI cant defend against two of anything.

To own with The Huns, get some Horse Archers and then get 2 Rams. Shoot everything and then move 2 Rams into position. The AI cant defend against two of anything.

I get it in principle. And I think with the right setup I could pull it off. I actually tried this just last night against Elizabeth, my only neighbor on Pangaea, but there was a lot of rough terrain. I'm sure a better player could have made it happen. I just need a little help from the map script and an AI like Portugal.

Seems like most players use pangea?

I guess continents would let AIs beast unmolested eventually winning the game going away? (on diety)

The worker exploit was pretty intuitive I will have to do that for sure!

Some UUs aren't that worthless.. UUs like maori warrior's terrify bonus becomes particularly useful in later infantry units. What I don't believe is that people used to be scared of maori warriors like the same way people are normally scared of african elephants or nauresau..

Top Bottom