How to cause AI fear?

Capurnicus

Chieftain
In case it matters, i bought the complete edition of Civ 5. So i am not using vanilla or anything like that.

The question is... How do I cause a Civ AI to become fearful when speaking to me? I am pretty sure i did it once by accident, and am not sure what caused it.

In case it matters, i bought the complete edition of Civ 5. So i am not using vanilla or anything like that.

The question is... How do I cause a Civ AI to become fearful when speaking to me? I am pretty sure i did it once by accident, and am not sure what caused it.

Possession of nuclear weapons.

I did it once in the early game, but I'm not sure what triggered it. I had a fairly decent sized military, but it has never happened before or since.

I remember on G&K I was able to make the Incan people fearful of me back in the classical/medieval era just with normal units they stayed fearful for the next half of the game. I made Montezuma fearful many times before but I think that's a deception tactic he uses. Some AI's have a tendency to be more fearful then others.

Just a theory, but based on a few experiences, I think it's when they're friendly with you (or maybe also including neutral) and you're on good terms, but they sense that you could take them out pretty easily if you chose to. I think that they key is that you're powerful but haven't done much to really anger them. Kind of like how you can only demand tribute from a CS if you're friendly and are showing that you're about to attack them.

AIs can often become afraid of you when you are powerful and are very aggresive or abusive. Once you take many of the ai's valuable cities including their capital, ais can become afraid of you. Other ais can also make other ais become scared of you if overall you have good power.

AIs can often become afraid of you when you are powerful and are very aggresive or abusive. Once you take many of the ai's valuable cities including their capital, ais can become afraid of you. Other ais can also make other ais become scared of you if overall you have good power.

Makes sense then. The game i saw it, I believe i had just dropped the hammer on a neighboring civ.

Stinks if I can't make a Civ i'm not on good terms with become fearful though. Sometimes you want to see the fear in your enemies eyes before destroying them! :lol:

Basically be extremely powerful. Biggest military in the world.

And if they race to you to ask what that huge group of soldiers doing that they stumbled upon for 50 turn, tell them to mind their own business. And they'll be afraid of u. If they give u an ultimatum to buy time, choose the dow.

It'll probably teach other AIs to not attempt to abuse it on you.

I think nukes is worth really alot of points from according on this forum. Which mean just building a bunch of nukes will get alot of AIs afraid of you quickly.

"AFRAID" requires that you be very strong compared to the AI... by the AI's own metrics of measuring military strength. The AI tends to value number of units more highly than quality or type of units, and disregards their location* and promotions.

This means that the player strategy of a half-dozen crossbows and a couple pikes/swords tends to look weak to the AI. Meanwhile, that group can cut down just about anything funneled to it and gains crazy promotions.

The takeaway from all this is that you generally have to have an army that substantially outnumbers them to make them "AFRAID". Note that Nukes are the exception to this rule: the AI sees them as immensely powerful and will often become "AFRAID" right away when you have them and they don't.

Just a theory, but based on a few experiences, I think it's when they're friendly with you (or maybe also including neutral) and you're on good terms, but they sense that you could take them out pretty easily if you chose to. I think that they key is that you're powerful but haven't done much to really anger them. Kind of like how you can only demand tribute from a CS if you're friendly and are showing that you're about to attack them.

In my experience of 1000+ hours of playing this is what actually tirggers the afraid attitude.

In my experience this never happened. Civs that are angry at me never show to be afraid no matter how puny they are compared to me, and civs that had their capital taken by me are always angry at me no matter what. They could still be back to the medieval era with no army whatsoever while I have stealth bomber and nukes and nope they are guarded, never afraid.

I play on king\emperor, perhaps things are different at lower difficulties.

Small chance of going into AFRAID stance according to perceived military threat:

Code:
////////////////////////////////////
	// MILITARY THREAT
	////////////////////////////////////

switch(GetMilitaryThreat(ePlayer))
	{
	case THREAT_CRITICAL:
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_DECEPTIVE_MILITARY_THREAT_CRITICAL();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += /*4*/ GC.getAPPROACH_GUARDED_MILITARY_THREAT_CRITICAL();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_AFRAID] += /*4*/ GC.getAPPROACH_AFRAID_MILITARY_THREAT_CRITICAL();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_FRIENDLY] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_FRIENDLY_MILITARY_THREAT_CRITICAL();
		break;
	case THREAT_SEVERE:
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_DECEPTIVE_MILITARY_THREAT_SEVERE();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += /*3*/ GC.getAPPROACH_GUARDED_MILITARY_THREAT_SEVERE();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_AFRAID] += /*2*/ GC.getAPPROACH_AFRAID_MILITARY_THREAT_SEVERE();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_FRIENDLY] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_FRIENDLY_MILITARY_THREAT_SEVERE();
		break;
	case THREAT_MAJOR:
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_DECEPTIVE_MILITARY_THREAT_MAJOR();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += /*2*/ GC.getAPPROACH_GUARDED_MILITARY_THREAT_MAJOR();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_AFRAID] += /*1*/ GC.getAPPROACH_AFRAID_MILITARY_THREAT_MAJOR();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_FRIENDLY] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_FRIENDLY_MILITARY_THREAT_MAJOR();
		break;
	case THREAT_MINOR:
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_DECEPTIVE_MILITARY_THREAT_MINOR();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_GUARDED_MILITARY_THREAT_MINOR();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_AFRAID] += /*1*/ GC.getAPPROACH_AFRAID_MILITARY_THREAT_MINOR();
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_FRIENDLY] += /*0*/ GC.getAPPROACH_FRIENDLY_MILITARY_THREAT_MINOR();
		break;
	case THREAT_NONE:
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += /*2*/ GC.getAPPROACH_HOSTILE_MILITARY_THREAT_NONE();
		break;
	}

... and HUGE chance of AFRAID if human has nukes and AI does not:

Code:
// do they have nukes and we don't
	else if (iTheirNukes > 0 && iOurNukes == 0 && iHowLikelyAreTheyToNukeUs > 50)
	{
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_AFRAID] += 50;
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += 50;
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] -= 25;
		viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] -= 50;
	}

Source: CvDiplomacyAI.cpp

In my experience of 1000+ hours of playing this is what actually tirggers the afraid attitude.

In my experience this never happened. Civs that are angry at me never show to be afraid no matter how puny they are compared to me, and civs that had their capital taken by me are always angry at me no matter what. They could still be back to the medieval era with no army whatsoever while I have stealth bomber and nukes and nope they are guarded, never afraid.

I play on king\emperor, perhaps things are different at lower difficulties.

Right, I think that fear without friendship is just anger, which happens all of the time.

Austria is the only civ ive seen that showed fear, even when i had no real military, just my goon squad of jaguars

Top Bottom