Upgrading computer for gaming.

numbersix

Chieftain
Currently running an I3 laptop. Turns take "hella" long and in higher numbered turns it takes a while to load tile graphics. Even in strategic view it is slow.
Looking around at upgrading. I am not a pro gamer but I want to be able to "keep up" with them. Also dont want to break the bank. There is so much new that I don't understand whats what. AGU, GPU, CPU its all a bit confusing for someone who doesnt read tech news.
I decided to build around the video card most likely a nvidia. Maybe a GTX750 because it seems to be able to handle new games on high setting and be reasonably priced. Is pci express 3 the way to go? I know a lot of civ is processing power but I would like to stick to AMD. I saw a fm2+ mobo for under 100 bucks on newegg is that what I want to do?
The fm2+ amd chip is 10/12 core apu and cpu in one. What does that mean?

My games are WoW, STO, portals, civ 5, simcity5, and antichamber. I potentially get a few hours of play time a day so i do not want to spend the majority behind a loading screen.

I dont want a laptop, sorry should have mentioned a few more things.
I have an ATX case 5+ hdd bays 4 cdrom style bays, multiple fans. Looking at a 750w power supply. Run at least 2 monitors possibly 3 plus a tv.
Its just not to run games, will be running multiple weather monitoring graphics/webpages, google earth, arcgis all at the same time.
Also it would be my server with multiple hdd one dedicated to OS and software, another games and another for all my files.
It will be a ground up build, budget is 1200 .

I have an ATX case 5+ hdd bays 4 cdrom style bays, multiple fans. Looking at a 750w power supply. Run at least 2 monitors possibly 3 plus a tv.
Its just not to run games, will be running multiple weather monitoring graphics/webpages, google earth, arcgis all at the same time.
Also it would be my server with multiple hdd one dedicated to OS and software, another games and another for all my files.

you should probably ask around on a hardware site, to get more information. Tom's hardware, anandtech etc are all good.

For what you list, your probably looking at 1500$ minimum, but without more detail on what you plan on using, that you already own, its hard to say.

You will need a decent GPU, and at minimum 2 if you want to run 4 monitors. Additionally, if you plan on gaming with any new games, you will need a higher end GPU to handle all the requirements. 750 is a entry level GPU. its not all that great, but will run 2 monitors provided games are not to demanding.

If your goal is to plan on running a triple monitor setup for gaming, then you should plan on spending around $3000-$4000.

I assumed that you were talking about upgrading the laptop from which you were playing. Good news though, a Gaming PC will cost you a lot less than a Gaming Laptop.

I highly recommend a Three Monitor Setup. I invested in one recently and it has increased my productivity...as long as I do not multitask too much :)

I have an i5, radeon r9 270 and 8Gb of Ram and hella old HDD, still running all my games maxed out on 1440x900. I think I spent around 700 on it not including peripherals

Top Bottom