Civ3 Deluxe Edition, frustration

Sir_Lancelot

Emperor
I got "Civilization III Deluxe Edition". Is this what people mean when they talk about some "Gold Edition"?

My box contains 3 CD's, each in a nice cover:
- "Sid Meier's Civilization III"
- "Sid Meier's Civilization III Collector's Edition" (The CD is a "fan kit", videos, screensavers etc, seems to have little to do with the "Play the World" add-on.)
- "Sid Meier's Civilization III Conquests"

This is different from what the outer box says:
- "Sid Meier's Civilization III"
- "Sid Meier's Civilization III Play the World"
- "Sid Meier's Civilization III Conquests"

So far I have installed and played only "Sid Meier's Civilization III" and I think it's superb. But I am little impressed by the documentation. Civilization 1 came with a thick book!

And I'm perhaps cheated!! I expected to find "Play the World", not useless screensavers and videos. Hmm, maybe PTW is on the same CD as Conquests? Nothing on the cover indicates it but we'll se when I install it after finnishing my current game...

Do I have to wait with installing Conquests till after my current game? Or will I be able to choose between standard Civ and Conquests after I have installed Conquests?

I hope someone have the time to answer my questions. Thanks!

Sima Qian has it right. I have the "Deluxe Edition" as well, and just like you guessed, PtW will install with Conquests. You are also right about the option to chose which game version you want to play, so you may install C3C right now.
The manual is on the CD in a folder named manual, in .pdf format.
I would like to advise you to get the latest patches.

edit: Oh, and playing Conquests, you will also find Fascism in the tech tree... ;)

Once you have installed both CD's, you will be able to start either C3, PTW or C3C.

Start them and note the versions as I would expect them to be fully patched or at least C3 and PTW.
1.29f for C3, 1.27F for PTW and 1.22 for C3C.

Thanks to all. There are so many versions out there, I just read about something called Civ Complete.
Complete, Deluxe, Gold... does the "Gold" include anything the "Deluxe" does not?

And there is also "Vanilla"... Now I know what it means, :lol: but why use this "ice-creamy" name...

As for the manual, yes I found it but it's not particular user friendly unless printed out. I got only one pc on the table, and multitasking is quite awkward.

Yep Twonky, I have already updated Civ3 SE to 1.29f.

Sir_Lancelot said:
As for the manual, yes I found it but it's not particular user friendly unless printed out. I got only one pc.
Nor is it very informative. The in-game civilopedia is somewhat better, but if you really want to know about something, you need to come to CFC. :)

Sir_Lancelot said:
Yep Twonky, I have already updated Civ3 SE to 1.29f.
I am not sure what happens if you install Conquests after patching the SE, though. If you start Conquests for the first time, look at the bottom-left corner on the main menue screen, where the version number is displayed. It should be 1.22.

Deluxe sounds like new packaging. Prior to this there has only been Gold and Complete. I doubt you need to patch anything but you should check versions first.

Gold only had Civ3 & PTW iirc.

I don't know for PTW and C3C yet. But SE was 1.07f out of the box.

It shouldn't be a problem installing PTW and C3C after I updated SE?? Or what?

Sir_Lancelot said:
I don't know for PTW and C3C yet. But SE was 1.07f out of the box.

It shouldn't be a problem installing PTW and C3C after I updated SE?? Or what?
I'm not sure what "SE" means...most likely "Second Edition"...since the original release was 1.00, and 1.07f was probably the next patch. If you've patched it to 1.29f, I'd suggest installing PTW, make sure it's patched to 1.27f, then install Conquests and patch it to 1.22 (if it isn't already).

Twonky already posted a link to the patches. Do check the version number on each one, because you do NOT want to install a patch if it's already the latest version.

Install Conquests, and see what it says in the lower left corner. If it says "1.22", then you are perfectly good to go on all three versions. Otherwise, patch Conquests to 1.22.

When Conquests is installed, it patches Vanilla to 1.29f, and installs/patches PTW at 1.27f, final patches for both.

gmaharriet said:
I'm not sure what "SE" means...most likely "Second Edition
I mean Standard Edition :)

Maybe it's because English isn't "my" language, but I find it very odd to call it vanilla.

MAS said:
Maybe your dictionary isn't very complete. (can happen, especially if its a cheap small one)

Look here: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Vanilla&db=*

The defenition we use is amoung the ones listed.
Thank you. My (British) dictionary contains 200.000 definitions but it seems dictionary.com is more complete.

What is the abbreviation for "standard edition"? I thought it would be SE but another post here suggested that would be Second Edition.

Sir_Lancelot said:
Thank you. My (British) dictionary contains 200.000 definitions but it seems dictionary.com is more complete.
200.000, though far from "truly complete," doesn't seem all to bad to me.

Ahem:mischief: sorry for going offtopic. :mischief:

Padma said:
Install Conquests, and see what it says in the lower left corner. If it says "1.22", then you are perfectly good to go on all three versions. Otherwise, patch Conquests to 1.22.

When Conquests is installed, it patches Vanilla to 1.29f, and installs/patches PTW at 1.27f, final patches for both.
You were perfectly right.

But C3C is 1.00 so I have to go find the updates.

PTW is already 1.27f so this doesn't really a problem to me, but I have to ask because it makes no sense to me:

Why is there a difference between the PTW patch for UK and USA? And it's a huge differense in megabytes. WTF??

Top Bottom