[WH40K] Imperial Guard Tanks (04/20/06)

R

Rabbit, White

Whew, this is one of my biggest projects to date, and it's still not done. Nevertheless I decided I'll post the first four units. These are based on Imperial Guard units from Warhammer 40,0000 (though I hope people would find them useful for sci-fi based mods) and have all new animations, effects and even sounds... okay, a sound. Because of that just providing the NIFs and the KF files wouldn't have been enough so the download is a mod. I split it into two files because of 500k limit, just unzip the XML folder into assets/ as usual (and as soon as FireFront stops maintenance on their upload file feature I'll put there the entire mod as one zip).
Take note of the audio and the effects xml files, even though I reuse sounds and effects the ones used during attack have their own definitions so that you can customize them without affecting other units. (They usually contain the names of the units, e.g. manticore, and are grouped together, so it's easy to find them.)

I created the units in such a way that it should be easy to mix and match their various parts (with one particular exception that will be fixed before the next units are released). To be honest I haven't tested this feature - it's possible that because of skinning it'll be as tricky as putting a grenadier in the saddle for example. Although as AlazkanAssassin proved, while tricky, it's still possible. However, at the very least you should be able to remove certain parts.

Oh and the units fully support team color of course. Anyway, on to the screenshots...

Hellhound - A Hellhound is a flamer tank based on a Chimera hull that uses its Inferno cannon to burn enemy troops from cover. The vast reserves of promethium tanks it carries in place of its troop-carrying capacity has resulted in thicker armour plating and a gleeful pyromania amongst those who crew them.

Chimera Transport - The ubiquitous transport vehicle of the Imperial Guard, Chimeras are extremely durable and practical vehicles, capable of mounting an array of infantry support weapons. Over the millennia, it has proved its reliability time and time again and remains a potent symbol of the Imperial Guard.

Manticore

Hydra
I know TGA you didn't specify Hydra in your request so I was kinda on the fence about posting it but I figured what the heck :D

As you can see I based these units on the pics of the warhammer miniatures and tried to keep the textures similar but slightly more practical maybe. In any case I might make alternative skins for some units since the WH40K website actually has some nice pics of various "paint jobs".

Well, enjoy and let me know what you think.

FileFront download

Attachments

• WH40K_Tanks.zip
    476 KB · Views: 2,039
  • WH40K_XML.zip
    57.4 KB · Views: 559
Amazing work! The textures look really good... It's also nice that we're starting to get units that are unique in their own right instead of a new model with stock animation (like my tanks).

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Personally I can't wait for smitty's AT-ST. :)

Anyway, I updated the first page with a filefront download link.

Awsomeness.

The Hellhound is easily my favourite out of these - loving the flame thrower! :goodjob:

EDIT: I don't mind having a Hydra as well BTW - thanks!

Rabbit said:
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Personally I can't wait for smitty's AT-ST. :)

You won't have to wait much longer.

Attachments

• AT-STpreview.JPG
    AT-STpreview.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 597
snafusmith said:
You won't have to wait much longer.
Ahh yes the famed Roman AT-ST that helped Caesar overthrow his predecessor. :D

On a more serious note...

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Your work is fantastic Rabbit!

Holy crap!

Would it be possible to mod the Chimera so that it gets attack bonuses the more men are in it? Since in 40k the men inside can use the lasers mounted on the outside to increase the firepower.

Hunter Noventa said:
Holy crap!

Would it be possible to mod the Chimera so that it gets attack bonuses the more men are in it? Since in 40k the men inside can use the lasers mounted on the outside to increase the firepower.
Land transports are funny things, as often the transport will be weaker than the thing it is transporting, so the best tactic might be to unload all the units from it whenever you stop it... which would mean alot of micromanagement.

This idea might make it worthwhile to leave the units inside the tank, however, especially if you forbid the units from unloading if the tank has moved it's full move or something.

Interesting problem.

Hunter Noventa said:
Holy crap!

That's definitely possible. Check out this APC unit I created. Essentially you can do it through promotions - based on number of units loaded it would get a different promotion. In the case of APC it's a defence promotion but of course it can be changed to anything. There are however couple of issues with it. First, the AI still doesn't know how to use land-based transports (or air-based for that matter). Second, and this might or might not be important depending on implementation - I couldn't find a way to know what units are loaded, basically once you have more than one loaded APC on same plot there's no way to know which unit is in which APC.

Top Bottom