Will there be offline multiplayer?? Elizabeth2k do you know?

bernie77

Chieftain
Please can someone answer this for me, I know there is online multiplayer but I would like to know if there will be offline multiplayer. I don't play online and would like to play against my friends offline when they come over my house. Does anyone know if this game will support offline multiplayer (Elizabeth2k do you know)?

Right now it's all online, with the exception of System Link (up to 4 Xbox 360's over a lan).

There should be an offline multiplay such as hotseat. I mean you have more than one controllers :p.

There should be an offline multiplay such as hotseat. I mean you have more than one controllers :p.

Not on the DS (which I suspect will be the biggest selling platform for this game).

How would you keep your info secret on the 360 and PS3 versions? Tell your friends to look away for the next few minutes?

How about if I want to be more than one civilization? I would like to play with more than one civ.

Sorry with the various consol formats being talked about can I just confirm something. I'm waiting for the DS version of this so I can hook up at lunch times with my mates over a coffee. Are we saying you can do local "multi card play" or you can't? :confused:

Correct, as long as each of you have the game, you can sit down wherever and play peer to peer. :)

That is perfect.

but no hotseat? :( tis a shame...I'd love to play with my brothers, as they aren't likely go out and pick up CivRev so without hotseat, I won't be able to play multiplayer with them.

Back to my earlier question, how would you keep all the hidden information hidden in a hot seat game? Keep in mind that I'd like to see if you were attacking me and not just be told about it later (since Civ resolves combat immediately). How would you handle hot seat diplomacy? Note that I don't want to tip off the guy we are planning on backstabbing. (I'm not asking to be argumentative, I really don't see an elegant solution and would like to know a good solution for my own selfish (future) reasons).

Most games that have tried this and succeeded use a different turn structure than Civ. In nearly every case that worked well (that I am aware of), they used an orders phase and then a resolution phase. By this I mean that everyone puts in their orders, then after everybody has put in what they would like to do the game churns for a while and tells everyone what happened via reports.

Edit: I just learned that MP in CivRev is simultaneous with everyone taking their turns at the same time.

hm, if turns are simultaneous in CivRev, then hotseat the way you mentioned could work, I believe.

if not, I'm not sure how you'd keep it secret...my brothers and I used to play MP Master of Orion II games hotseat all the time...we just made the others look away when we were doing our turn. It worked for us, but I suppose that might not always work for others.

How would you keep your info secret on the 360 and PS3 versions? Tell your friends to look away for the next few minutes?

Isn't that a factor with all Hotseat, regardless of platform? Hotseat civ2 had the same problems as my brother and I pulled up two chairs in front of the family computer.

I don't understand hot hotseat for any of the other civs suddenly becomes different when the players are on a couch using controllers as opposed to sitting at a desk or passing a laptop back and forth.

It's an inherent dynamic you have to deal with through playing that way. "Look away" is a very simple way to deal with it if you're attempting serious competition between each other. Anyway, no reason not to have it for both versions. The same cons to the mechanic already exist on the PC versions. Yet the option remains.

(Also, the DS hotseat could work easily as well, simply by passing the DS back and forth, which is exactly what I've done with civ4 using a laptop)

To summarize the thread, dshirk (a Firaxian) confirmed it for the 360 (in system link mode) and the DS (in local peer to peer mode). There is no hot seat (since all players need to give their orders at the same time).

Top Bottom