Negotiating Peace

Lukelbs

Chieftain
I usually play pretty peacefully but as The Ottomans I wanted to be more aggressive. So after a while i start a war with Persia after they settled land near me when I demaded they didn't. After I took their capital and razed two cities everyone denounces me and then starts a war with me. Its been over 35 turns and I'm trying to start negotiations but no one will even let me make an offer.

Is it possible that they will never negotiate me?

Ya, razing cities seems to upset the AI's. They are much more forgiving if you just capture them. :)

Right now, your malus is to high because of the razed cities. You either just sit back and defend until they simmer down, or pound on them until they beg for peace. :) But, ya they will eventually seek peace. At least they have always in my games.

I think it also depends on your game speed.

Unless you have demonstrably huge military and/or manage to cripple an opponent army significantly/capture some key cities, don't expect them to accept peace at all. And this is for individual civs, so basically you need to bring them to their knee one by one.

Yeah its all about negotiation. If they see they can't possibly win in an invasion they'll be open to a peace deal. If they have more troops in reserve they'll refuse.

One thing I love to do is build my city up for successful defense. The civs never attack from 2 directions. Then I take another force to one of their cities far away from there army and march on that city. Usually they're open to peace.

Also if there invading and you kill a unit and suddenly they offer a peace deal. I tend to deny that peace deal and quickly press the attack because often they don't leave enough troops behind to defend and are sensitive to a counter. Even if you don't actually have enough to take a city. Just threatening will initiate a better deal then they were offering.

If multiple civs are attacking you'll just have to turtle your cities and defend like hell. Sometimes I'll begrudgingly give some civs a favorable deal just to get them off my back.

Eventually, any AI will accept Peace but they have to be convinced they have no chance to recapture their cities.

If you keep protecting your cities the ai will not be tempted into accepting a peace treaty soon but later, if you ask the ai for peace it could eventually make peace with you unless you have some serious warmonger penalties.

Top Bottom