Which new civ do you think will make the challenging to play against?

Whci civ is the most game changing?

• Poland

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Assyria

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Brazil

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Portugal

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Zulu

Votes: 41 35.0%

• Total voters
Well let's be honest, when was the last time you saw a Civ get lancers and were like "ZOMGZ I'ma gonna die!!!" I hope the Winged Hussars will be useful, but there is a good chance Poland will end up like Sweden--there, but doesn't really dominate any specific area of the game.

With the limited info we have so far, I'd say Brazil is the most threatening. Not only can they get a huge lead in the culture/turism thing, If you don't manage to stop them before they can get a huge army of Pracinhas, going to war could mean giving them the opportunity to get even stronger.

With the limited info we have so far, I'd say Brazil is the most threatening. Not only can they get a huge lead in the culture/turism thing, If you don't manage to stop them before they can get a huge army of Pracinhas, going to war could mean giving them the opportunity to get even stronger.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. They might be impossible to overtake if you are going for the same victory if you don't act soon enough

Which makes me wonder: runaway culture civs were impossible to catch up on at a certain point in G&K. I wonder if they will make it possible to catch up to civs who get an early tourism start in BNW by utilizing certain mechanics or if it will be run and done and you have to resort to a different victory

That's exactly what I'm thinking. They might be impossible to overtake if you are going for the same victory if you don't act soon enough

Which makes me wonder: runaway culture civs were impossible to catch up on at a certain point in G&K. I wonder if they will make it possible to catch up to civs who get an early tourism start in BNW by utilizing certain mechanics or if it will be run and done and you have to resort to a different victory

Well you always have the option of taking down threat by military force & then continue for culture victory. ;)
Brazil doesn't have any strong boost earlier in the game (except their UI) so they might end up being a mid-tier civ when AI is controlling it. Runaways civs are usually the one that get highly successful in early phase of game by conquest, quick expansion & so on.

Interesting. I very well might have missed something, but why do you think the Brazilian UA won't be particularly effective in the early game? In every mid-to-higher level difficulty game I've played the biggest issue has been that the AI knows how to manage insane amounts of happiness if nothing else. I can easily picture the golden ages (Carnivals) getting out of hand pretty quickly.

(Though I agree that the solution with Brazil would be to take them out before their UU becomes an issue.)

It is too early to tell either way. Current golden ages are great for quicker culture wins, as long as you know how to take advantage of it by having a large culture base (planted GA's in capital) and stack percentage modifiers. The AI currently does not do this, so little to no benefits.

If BNW plays out the same as in Brazil AI getting a ton of carnivals, but can't back it up with proper great works play, it isn't going to amount to much.

Just capture their cities and get their great works and now I can go for a culture victory

As a side note will they change france AI it seems a little bit wierd that napoleon will be a warmonger when he is trying to create great works to achieve a culture victory

Game changing:
1. Assyria - the new definition of easiness;
2. Portugal - very unique gameplay;
3. Zulu - extra promotion from barracks;
4. Poland - extra social policy per era opens new paths;
5. Brazil - generic civ;

Challenging to play against:
1. Zulu - they have nothing, which AI can't handle. In addition, they will be agressive expanders (with uber bonuses). Second Iroquis I guess.
2. Assyria - strong science and I quess they will be programmed to early rushes with UU.
3. Poland - only because they will probably be aggresive; (though it would be great if this civ would have truely random attitude)
4. Brazil - really small chance to be a problem; even if they start on the second corner of map you can still nuke them; late game bonuses don't help;
5. Portugal - AI will not be able to handle it; they will spent extra money on City-states making UI useless; Money and Happiness is nothing which any AI civ truely lacks;

Game changing:
1. Assyria - the new definition of easiness;
2. Portugal - very unique gameplay;
3. Zulu - extra promotion from barracks;
4. Poland - extra social policy per era opens new paths;
5. Brazil - generic civ;

Challenging to play against:
1. Zulu - they have nothing, which AI can't handle. In addition, they will be agressive expanders (with uber bonuses). Second Iroquis I guess.
2. Assyria - strong science and I quess they will be programmed to early rushes with UU.
3. Poland - only because they will probably be aggresive; (though it would be great if this civ would have truely random attitude)
4. Brazil - really small chance to be a problem; even if they start on the second corner of map you can still nuke them; late game bonuses don't help;
5. Portugal - AI will not be able to handle it; they will spent extra money on City-states making UI useless; Money and Happiness is nothing which any AI civ truely lacks;

wy are the Zulu considered 'the second' irquois?

Brazil seems like a cultural victory party pooper. Not only because of their bonuses to tourism, but rather because of their UI. It now seems that culture buildings will be massively nerfed and that you rather generate generate culture by hoarding artifacts in said buildings. Which is a cool mechanic and rewards tall empires, but the Brazil is the very only civilization that can play a wide type of cultural game due to their UI. Since culture is a kind of a defensive yield, my guess is that once you meet Brazil on your games you can kiss your cultural victory goodbye.

I don't get all the fear of Assyria. They are strong, but heir UA only kicks in when they are behind on tech. I think the AI won't be able to handle that very well (Is it the UU? I don't really expect it to be "the new battering ram").

In the case of Brazil, I'm really expecting them to play wide - something like Alexander's AI (only friendlier - or less hostile, at least). And it also looks like it will be one interesting trading partner, with all the money from the brazilwood camps and it's golden age focus.

I love how no one has voted Poland :D. They may finally be in, but they still don't threaten anyone

Yeah, that's exactly what i thought. Poor Hussars, nobody fears them.

Well, the UA will also kick in when they're even in tech, but have different techs. It allows them to beeline to military techs without missing out on other ones.

Well, the UA will also kick in when they're even in tech, but have different techs. It allows them to beeline to military techs without missing out on other ones.

Will the AI be able to fully utilise the UA is another question though.

I would imagine human players to really enjoy Assyria.

I think so too. I think the AI will benefit more from the Royal Library than their UA.

I vote Assyria, I always play a science/warmonger style and I think Assyria will do the same, only they'll have more advantage for this playing style.

Poor Casimir, despite his military focus he's still considered less of threat then Pedro's party people and Maria's long-distance merchants.

If the amount of happiness the AI player receive as a bonus remains the same, Brazil's Carnival will be annoyingly frequent. That may make it one of the most powerful civilizations to play against (right after Maria Theresa on the "eliminate it as soon as you can" list). Voted for it.

I voted that way as well, for pretty much the same reasons.

Poor Casimir, despite his military focus he's still considered less of threat then Pedro's party people and Maria's long-distance merchants.

I can't see the AI having the tactical prowess to use the Winged Hussar effectively. At most they'll just be annoying.

Top Bottom