PerfNES I: Ultima Ratio Regum

From: Lucrezia III, Queen of Egypt, Duchess of Cyprus, Lady Protectress of the Holy Church in Egypt, Countess of Candia, etc., etc.
To: Our Dear Sicilian Cousin

Your unending affection is joyfully received, and returned a hundredfold. Would that such greetings were sent more frequently; otherwise one might think We were growing apart. It would certainly not do for Our relations with Our beloved cousin to be reduced to merchants' matters and crass financial exchanges.

While the matter of ecclesiastical coordination between the Egyptian and Sicilian congregations does sometimes trouble Us, We cannot say that it has been a matter of undue concern requiring immediate rectification. Nevertheless, loyal followers of the Cross, unbending before the Roman tyrant, must show one another the due respect and courtesy fellow Catholics deserve. We and Our Council of State would personally not betoken such a declaration of submission. But perhaps it is best for the men of God themselves to decide. Ought not the Primate of the Church in Egypt and the Primate of the Church in Sicily, and the due representatives of the congregations of Our two realms, meet in holy council to determine such matters?

Naturally, it was our fallacy to believe that the Egyptian Queen and her Council might assume the same secular lordship over the Church that we ourselves have long had the divine right to possess. Such modesty confirms her orthodoxy, and enhances our pleasure.

We would be pleased to convene such a council on the isle of Jerba in the coming years.

Perfectionist

Do I have an available daughter to marry off to the second son of the King of Lotharingia?

Also, as I asked above, are there any Basques left nowadays?

I would like to play the Sultanate of Zabid if they are still available

Edit: And could I have a faction list? Thanks! ;)

The basileus Rhomaíōn expresses his official unhappiness and disappointment at the Georgian choice of allies, given the strong and previously friendly ties between Rome and Georgia.

Edit: And could I have a faction list? Thanks! ;)

Bureaucracy: The guys who run the state apparatus. A lot of them are lower class guys pulled out of Zaidi madrassas, and a lot of the rest are slaves. Support their own aggrandizement, and the maintenance of the status quo re Zaidis, and are in favor of efforts to retain the Zabidi commercial position.
Aden merchantry: The merchantry, which is strongest in Aden. They handle a lot of the trade in the western Indian Ocean, and customs provide a lot of state revenue. They support efforts to keep the grubby Egyptians out of their markets, but oppose further adventurism in the north.
Zaidi Imamate: The Zaidi religious establishment. Has been pretty well neutered by the Zabidis, and currently feel that they've got a pretty good deal, all things considered, and don't want to rock the boat. More or less unconditionally support Zabidi internal policies, provided they don't directly attack the Zaidi, and are very anti-Egypt, but against oppose significant adventurism.
Highlander beyliks: The guys who administer the Turkish chiefdoms in the Yemeni highlands. A lot of them spend most of their time at court, though. Provide a lot of the levies of the state, support intervention in Mecca, don't support being made to do more work. Tend to be a bit anti-Zaidi, though they don't dare make much trouble at the moment.
Siyasseries: 'Black soldiers'; the African slave soldiers who provide much of Zabid's military power. Most of them are converts to Islam, and have the convert's ardour: a lot of them would very much like to bring Islam to Ethiopia and beyond. Don't like their privileges being reduced, don't like having to fight Sunnis, don't like meddling with the Sharif, though they do support stopping anyone else from meddling with the Sharif.

Not that strong or friendly. The Horde brings Order to all.

To Ardabilids
From Tokhta Horde

My great ancestors, and the fearsome Emir Timur in the past laid waste to Persia smashing your armies and your fortresses, leaving your cities in ruins, as a grievous punishment from God for your sins. You are still sinners but God has not seen fit to smite you. And thus you find yourself in yarligh over Timurid lands.

We generously grant you leave to maintain this yarligh upon the contingent duty of maintains the trade routes, protecting merchants and pilgrims from raiders, bandits, and abuse. This yarligh over Persia is granted with the understanding that it will be revoked upon failure to perform your duties.

To Volynia
From Tokhta Horde

Your response is spineless like that of a worm. Are you Prince or insect? The Khan is displeased by your failure to speak with clear intent. He is tempted to once again revoke your yarligh over the Principality and subject it to punishment. You will establish control over your subjects or you will be stripped of your yarligh. That is all.

To Tokhata Horde
From Volynia

Enough! This tribal squabbling of the Crimean and Volynian Tartars has spirled out of control, and I will personally make sure the Volynian Tartars behave themselves and divert their attentions from this petty squabbling. It maybe that the more free-willing of either group started this madness, but if we both hold their reins at the same time, it can be stopped as we both desire. However, I am sure that the Crimean Tartars will see the end of the raids and will not persue this... revenge raiding... anymore, for if we find more raids after we ended ours, we will assume you yourself has ordered them and we will ask you in stronger terms to end both sides of this.

To: Tokhta Horde

No merchant, pilgrim, traveler, or other wayfarer will find his progress impeded in our lands.

I would like to play the Sultanate of Zabid if they are still available
Welcome aboard! Glad to have someone else in the Red Sea.

Perfectionist

Do I have an available daughter to marry off to the second son of the King of Lotharingia?
You do: third daughter, 14.

Also, as I asked above, are there any Basques left nowadays?
Ah, missed that, sorry. They've mostly disappeared into the Gascon and Mustarib populations. A few minor pockets left in the Pyrenees.

Karalysia said:
@Perfectionist what if anything is going on in Tibet? Is there a state there?
It's divided up into various monastery-dominated myriarchy-type statelets, and has little to do with the outside world.

@Perfectionist: I have one unanswered pm that will help with orders and no news about my factions.

To Tokhata Horde
From Volynia

Enough! This tribal squabbling of the Crimean and Volynian Tartars has spirled out of control, and I will personally make sure the Volynian Tartars behave themselves and divert their attentions from this petty squabbling. It maybe that the more free-willing of either group started this madness, but if we both hold their reins at the same time, it can be stopped as we both desire. However, I am sure that the Crimean Tartars will see the end of the raids and will not persue this... revenge raiding... anymore, for if we find more raids after we ended ours, we will assume you yourself has ordered them and we will ask you in stronger terms to end both sides of this.

From Tokhta Horde
To Volynia

Good. The Khan of the Crimea will be notified.

To: Tokhta Horde

No merchant, pilgrim, traveler, or other wayfarer will find his progress impeded in our lands.

From Tokhta Horde
To Ardabilid's

The Khan is pleased.

I kind of want to join this... but I will need the referee's permission to ask tons of annoying questions every now and then.

Also, I would need a nation, but have no idea which one to pick or where to begin. Something small might be nice, because I'm new to this sort of thing. Kara said something about Bengal in another thread as well. What to do?

A Map of Volynia and its surrounding lands. The Valakhii near the Romans, the Radhanittes near their capital and the Boyars holding Dneiper Fiefs, as well as those elsewhere. the knowledge of the terrain nearby their immediate neighbors was deemed important, for trade and survival.

The basileus Rhomaíōn expresses his official unhappiness and disappointment at the Georgian choice of allies, given the strong and previously friendly ties between Rome and Georgia.

We see no reason why Rome cannot still be on friendly terms. The alliance is merely one of defense. So long as Rome does not seek war in the east no harm will come to our friendship. We are willing to go at great lengths to seek friendly relations with our neighbors. If there is anything we can do to help relieve any damage we have done, our state will certainly consider it.

OCC: Is there a link to the history of this NES? If not that is fine just will help with some context.

Top Bottom