God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

You're lining up an awful lot of "ifs" in a row there.

This also indicates that we most likely will not have units for spreading religion like we did in Civ 4, because we'd need 11 units to spread all 11 religions, because they'd have to add at least 33 new units not just 27.
You don't need 11 different religion-specific missionary units, but rather just 1 generic one. Especially since missionaries now appear to be tied to a specific Belief (Holy Order: Allows the purchase of Missionaries to help spread your Religion), in which case only one religion can have missionaries anyway (because Beliefs are unique).

Even if we only need 1 generic one, that still leaves at least 4 units unaccounted for. Of course, we might not get new naval units, but instead see some of the current naval units converted to melee, which would free up another 6 units, so I guess it is possible that 11 of the units are missionaries for each of the 11 religions.

You're lining up an awful lot of "ifs" in a row there.

You don't need 11 different religion-specific missionary units, but rather just 1 generic one. Especially since missionaries now appear to be tied to a specific Belief (Holy Order: Allows the purchase of Missionaries to help spread your Religion), in which case only one religion can have missionaries anyway (because Beliefs are unique).

From use of the word 'buy' in the Kotau article it can be inferred that purchasing missionaries is not usually possible but that they can be built and that the Holy Orders belief allows the purchasing of them.
Alternatively, assuming that a belief is required before you can acquire missionaries at all, no where has it been said that the effects of one belief aren't duplicated by a belief in the other pool. It is conceivable that Holy Orders is a pantheon belief and that there is a world religion belief that allows you to acquire missionaries in addition to another benefit (as world religion beliefs are supposed to be more powerful).

Even if we only need 1 generic one, that still leaves at least 4 units unaccounted for. Of course, we might not get new naval units, but instead see some of the current naval units converted to melee, which would free up another 6 units, so I guess it is possible that 11 of the units are missionaries for each of the 11 religions.

In my opinion, stating that you're adding 27 new units and 11 of these are (boring) missionaries is a bad marketing move.

I think it just fits, though (9 UUs, 11 Missionaries, Great Prophet, Great Admiral, Machinegun, Biplane Fighter, Biplane Bomber, Land Ship, Partridge in a Pear Tree).

Yeah, but there are none confirmed yet.

I don't think there are 11 missionary units. You have a better shot of them counting scenario units instead.

Just thinking about the Great Admiral.

One would assume that it works like the Great General, in that you generate it by participating in naval combat and that it provides some benefit to its adjacent units.

I wonder what sort of tile improvement it can build and if it is on land or ocean tiles.

It also makes me think that some civilization might get Great Admirals worked into its UA. The Dutch, for instance, but would any other yet unnamed civs lend themselves towards it? The Portugese perhaps? If they rework some of the old civs' UAs, perhaps England would get a bonus to generating Great Admirals. or maybe a special version of the Great Admiral.

Or maybe the Great Admiral is a new civ's UU, a version of the Great General.

Would any new UU generate double points towards a Great Admiral?

It's a rather interesting subject to my mind.

To have any idea if it's 1 generic missionary or 1 for each religion, we'd have to know if it's possible to found more than 1 religion. If each civ is only allowed to found 1 religion, then a single generic missionary will suffice. However, if we are allowed to found more than 1 religion, which of them will that generic missionary spread?

If it is just the 1 generic missionary and we're only allowed to found 1 religion, that still leaves 10 units unaccounted for. I'd bet no more than 4 or 5 of the Civs will have a 2nd UU, so that would still leave 5-6 of them unaccounted for.

Do we know for sure the Great Admiral is a new unit and not just a GG that works for both land and sea?

Just thinking about the Great Admiral.

One would assume that it works like the Great General, in that you generate it by participating in naval combat and that it provides some benefit to its adjacent units.

That's what I would think. Some Commerce tree policies might trigger it too. It would be nice if they could stack, unlike other naval units.

I wonder what sort of tile improvement it can build and if it is on land or ocean tiles.

A coastal fortress would make a lot of sense. It would be a land improvement in that case, though.

It also makes me think that some civilization might get Great Admirals worked into its UA. The Dutch, for instance, but would any other yet unnamed civs lend themselves towards it? The Portugese perhaps? If they rework some of the old civs' UAs, perhaps England would get a bonus to generating Great Admirals. or maybe a special version of the Great Admiral.

Or maybe the Great Admiral is a new civ's UU, a version of the Great General.

I'd like them to give it to the English to improve them. Perhaps the Dutch. Either way, it wouldn't be a UU since all their slots seem to be spoken for. The Portuguese aren't in the game, so it won't be them.

Wasn't it in the Civ4-BtS expansion, where they advertised each corporation representative as new unit? So, all of a sudden, 6 new units were generated "out of the air" (instead of just one).

So, counting more or less the same unit several times is not without precedent. Nevertheless, I hope this will not be the case here.

(Maybe this didn't happen with corporation representatives, but with all these missionaries and temples in Civ 4. But I'm pretty sure that I *was* a little bit pissed off, when I realized how to interpret the high numbers written on the box...)

England would make the most sense for that bonus...but I think they are already getting a nice boost by ships being able to conquer cities. Giving them an admiral bonus might be a little much considering they already have the best navy of any civ.

either way I'm excited to play as England. more important navy + espionage = much better immersion for the brits.

Antwerp symbols look indeed like:
- Cross - Religion, Christianism
- "Triangle" - City state type - if you look at it it is the same symbol of a town being linked to your commercial network by roads/docks - guess that will make Antwerp a commercial city state (fits well).

The bar below looks indeed tweaked: now it has 4 sectors - guess it will mean two "friendly" levels and two unfriendly ones..

So maybe I am missing something... but are the new religions going to be usable is some offensive way?

I mean it seems like it is simply more of
1) collect resource A
2) spend on benefit B

We already have
Collect beakers -> gain tech
Collect culture -> gain policies
Somehow "Collect faith -> gain beliefs" does not seem very different to me.

I would not be surprised if I was missing something though.

So maybe I am missing something... but are the new religions going to be usable is some offensive way?

I mean it seems like it is simply more of
1) collect resource A
2) spend on benefit B

We already have
Collect beakers -> gain tech
Collect culture -> gain policies
Somehow "Collect faith -> gain beliefs" does not seem very different to me.

I would not be surprised if I was missing something though.

Much in the same vein that some policies (whole trees even) can be used to make your civ more effective at warfare, it seems that some beliefs can too. Also, it's been said that you can buy units with faith; units that are otherwise unavailable. Maybe that's missionaries, maybe that's crusaders, or maybe that's jihadists. Who knows?

Top Bottom