[MOD] MagisterModmod

Ah, I see. It seemed to work okay during the basic testing I did before posting about it, but there may well have been issues that I didn't notice; and if bAlwaysHostile can serve the same purpose in a less troublesome manner, then so much the better. :)

On a different topic - is it no longer possible to get Beasts of Agares as permanent units in your mod? A Profane summoning one only gave a regular temporary summon (and it didn't cause unrest nor reduce city population), and I can't see any other methods of creating/building them.

There was a permanent Beasts of Agares in my last game. It was a barb unit. Or maybe a hidden nationality. My beastmaster subdued it, and I had it afterward. Until it was killed by a unit it should have been much stronger than. Oh well.

Question: Could not find in the Pedia. What does the Challenge promotion do for Dovello melee units?

The Infernal Grimoire generates a permanent barbarian Beast of Agares along with the Balor and Imp.

Summoned Beasts of Agares are limited duration, but they get two extra turns of duration for every unit they kill.

The Issue Challenge ability adds the Challenger promotion, which allows another unit on the same tile use the Accept Challenge ability. This causes the two units to engage in combat with each other. You risk loosing units, but do gain xp.

I suppose I could add a check to prevent taking equipment from a unit that has already attacked (it would have to apply to all equipment, as the code would quickly get to complicated otherwise), but I rather like that exploit. It can be really hard for a poor human like me to compete with all the fodder of those cheating AIs otherwise.
I played as the Bannor yesterday. Once Orthus had suicided against my city walls, it was easy to steamroll through all of the other civs using mounted units, who always attacked with Orthus Axe.

It does seem a bit of an exploit that all units in an army can use the same weapon in a battle. I think it would be better to prevent weapons from being transferred after they have been used in combat.
If you want all of the units in a stack to be able to use unique weapons in combat you might as well go the whole hog and automatically give a promo giving the combat bonuses to all units in a stack if any of them is carrying a special weapon. Whilst not realistic, it would at least minimise micro management.

I don't know what's going on with BUG in this mod. It's a trainwreck on my end and I can't even get anyone to confirm that it's working at all for them. 20 pages in this thread and nobody cares, including the author? The mod could just be broken for all I know. The alerts don't work at all, power ratios only show up when they feel like it (only after trade access?), and the unit list at the bottom gets messed up with too many units on a tile. I'm pretty frustrated.

maybe it's because few of us use/care for the BUG features ?

I haven't really tried playing with BUG on its own, only with what is included in Tholal's More Naval AI. Anything BUG related that works in Tholal's mod should work the same in mine. If you want more BUG features enabled you'll have to take it up with him, although as a new father of twins he has very limited time for modding and I'd rather he focus on more important things (like removing the block that stops units with religions from upgrading to anything without that religion as a prerrquisite).

The Infernal Grimoire generates a permanent barbarian Beast of Agares along with the Balor and Imp.

Hmm, seems it's also possible to get permanent BoA from Mokka's Cauldron... albeit ones that are Undead rather than demonic; and I've yet to think of a way to reliably have Krakens (or Dragons or other high level beasts) die while on the same tile as the Cauldron - few critters being able to kill Krakens, let alone reliably. :lol:

Re: BUG - I have also never used it on its own, so unfortunately don't know much about how its features are "supposed to" work.

Another (fun) exploit I found: have high-level high priest killed, raise his sluagh with a Life III archmage on a graveyard - get Man-at-Arms with high priest spells intact (and most, albeit not all of the xp) who won't abandon you if religion changes. Since it "costs" a Life III promotion + some of the resurrectee's xp I don't think it's a big exploit, but quite fun to have a unit or two like that. :)

Also, I noticed that Divine 2 (unlike Divine '1') and Spell Extension promotions can get transferred to Flesh Golems; they probably shouldn't be, since FGs can't use any Divine or summon spells anyway.

Also also: Guild of the Nine + Prophecy of Ragnarok allows instant conversion of gold into a higher AC - one point added to AC for each cheap merc hired in city with Prophecy, as each gets Marked. Edit: scratch that - even cheaper solution which only requires Prophecy and Undercouncil with Slavery resolution: allowing +1 AC per slave bought.

what are the updates? Clean install means it wont work with RiFE, Orbis and FF.

What does this have those mods don't, since in any game i am choosing A or B, so please remind me what C is. btw, i am glad there is still AN erebus mod being worked on!

I just released a new update. This includes Tholal's new More Naval AI v2.3, and I believe it also addresses all of the issues mentioned in the last few pages. It is not compatible with previous versions.

I decided to include updated versions of the scenarios this time. I have not actually tested any of them, but I have fixed everything I thought might cause compatibility issues. I also changed the game options so that they won't disable the wrong religions.

Great, thanks for the updated version MagisterCultuum!

I ran some quick diffs to see if I might be able to apply some of the smaller fixes to my ongoing game; looks like the mushrooms typo fix (for the spell Wonder) got lost along the way. No biggie, of course. :)

A different matter that came to mind; should Margalard perhaps have the same affinity for banana(s) that Gurid does? Makes sense to me, though I'm no expert on primates. ;)

MagisterCultuum, I saw you posts in the More Naval AI thread and I'm going to check out you mod as well.

Just a quick question about installs: can I install your mod in a clean civ IV install with latest FFH+More Naval AI and still play both mods from that install? Thanks.

the ONLY reason i haven't played this or Naval AI is because i would be playing vanilla. If this were made for Wildmana, Orbis, RiFE, Fall Further or MoM then i would be all in.

@Chean: I remember fixing the mushroom typo. I guess I must have somehow forgotten to save the file afterwards. Oops. I have fixed it now.

I'm pretty sure I gave Margalard Banana affinity a long time ago, and am not sure how that came undone either. I change that now too.

These minor changes are not enough to warrant another update so soon though.

@Bannedwagon
Yes. My modmod is installed in a separate folder that copies everything from the Fall from Heaven 2 folder and then overwrites all the files that differ from base FfH2. It does not change anything in the Fall from Heaven 2 folder itself, so FfH2 or any modmod running under that name should run exactly as it did before. I would normally caution against installing my modmod based on a Fall from Heaven 2 folder containing another modmod in case it modified some files that my modmod does not include. However, I know for a fact that my modmod includes every file found in More Naval AI, so installing based on FfH2 or More Naval AI should make no difference whatsoever.

What does an affinity for a resource have to do with a beast unit? Does that mean it will go in search of it?

Resource affinity makes a unit stronger; so if you e.g. subdue Gurid and have access to 3 banana resources, he'll have 3 additional points of strength while in your service.

@MC: Looks like the Dragon Slaying promotion still doesn't have any designated unitcombats; (still) as intended, or?

Also, what would I need to change in order for Hyborem to always be the first demon lord summoned by completing an Infernal Pact ritual? Considering going for that in my next game, but would like to avoid lots of reloading to not end up with for instance Ouzza. ;)

Edit: I think the addition (in the newest version of the mod) of a temporary illusion promotion to the adventurer-reversion spell may have an unintended sideeffect - stripping any racial promotion the adventurer may have or have acquired. Not many cases where that is likely to happen, but spending some time as an Eidolon or getting a particular result from reading the Grimoire would give the Demon race; which the temporary illusion promotion looks to remove.

Edit edit: A few more promotions that currently are, but probably shouldn't be, passed to Flesh Golems: Nomad / Winterborn / Mercenary

the ONLY reason i haven't played this or Naval AI is because i would be playing vanilla. If this were made for Wildmana, Orbis, RiFE, Fall Further or MoM then i would be all in.
well, for Naval AI... it's your call. However, with Magister's... the mod is so different than vanilla that it's almost like a new game (as much a RifE) .. the difference with the other modmod is that there are no new civs... however many things are different.

It appears that heroes with channeling promotions cannot get Twincast, even with Combat V. Is it a bug or a feature?

Resource affinity makes a unit stronger; so if you e.g. subdue Gurid and have access to 3 banana resources, he'll have 3 additional points of strength while in your service.

@MC: Looks like the Dragon Slaying promotion still doesn't have any designated unitcombats; (still) as intended, or?
I hadn't really intended for anyone to be able to purchase Dragon Slaying, but now that I think of it I will. I just now allowed it for the Disciple, Melee, and Mounted unitcombats, but also made the Animal Mastery tech a prerequisite.
Also, what would I need to change in order for Hyborem to always be the first demon lord summoned by completing an Infernal Pact ritual? Considering going for that in my next game, but would like to avoid lots of reloading to not end up with for instance Ouzza. ;)

I have not tested it, but going to line 1575 of CvEventManager.py and changing this
Code:
		if iProjectType == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROJECT_INFERNAL_PACT'):
			demonList = []
			if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_HYBOREM')):
				demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_HYBOREM'))
			if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_JUDECCA')):
				demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_JUDECCA'))
			if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_SALLOS')):
				demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_SALLOS'))
			if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_OUZZA')):
				demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_OUZZA'))
			if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_MERESIN')):
				demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_MERESIN'))
			if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_STATIUS')):
				demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_STATIUS'))
			if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_LETHE')):
				demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_LETHE'))
			if len(demonList)>0:
				iDemonLord = demonList[CyGame().getSorenRandNum(len(demonList), "Infernal Pact")]
to this

Code:
		if iProjectType == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROJECT_INFERNAL_PACT'):
			demonList = []
			if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_HYBOREM')):
			[B]	iDemonLord = gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_HYBOREM'):
			else:[/B]
				if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_JUDECCA')):
					demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_JUDECCA'))
				if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_SALLOS')):
					demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_SALLOS'))
				if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_OUZZA')):
					demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_OUZZA'))
				if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_MERESIN')):
					demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_MERESIN'))
				if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_STATIUS')):
					demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_STATIUS'))
				if not CyGame().isLeaderEverActive(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_LETHE')):
					demonList.append(gc.getInfoTypeForString('LEADER_LETHE'))
				if len(demonList)>0:
					iDemonLord = demonList[CyGame().getSorenRandNum(len(demonList), "Infernal Pact")]
should make Hyborem always the first demon lord to be summoned.

I just thought I'd point out though, that the first demon lord summoned tends not to do as well as the demon lords summoned a little latter, once the Ashen Veil is more widespread and the summoner has more technologies to give the summoned. (The Infernals can take a while to get their research rate up to par with players who have been in the game longer.) Each team is allowed to summon up to 3 demon lords, and you are told which one has been summoned before being asked to choose whether to take control of the new player or keep your old empire.

Edit: I think the addition (in the newest version of the mod) of a temporary illusion promotion to the adventurer-reversion spell may have an unintended sideeffect - stripping any racial promotion the adventurer may have or have acquired. Not many cases where that is likely to happen, but spending some time as an Eidolon or getting a particular result from reading the Grimoire would give the Demon race; which the temporary illusion promotion looks to remove.
Good catch. I just changed it to use the Dark Reflection promotion instead, which still prevents Sluagh creation but is not considered a race.
Edit edit: A few more promotions that currently are, but probably shouldn't be, passed to Flesh Golems: Nomad / Winterborn / Mercenary
I fix this too.

Is there any reason why Nomad and Winterborn should not count as racial promotions? That would automatically prevent them from being given to Flesh Golems.

well, for Naval AI... it's your call. However, with Magister's... the mod is so different than vanilla that it's almost like a new game (as much a RifE) .. the difference with the other modmod is that there are no new civs... however many things are different.

The difference is that I try to stay faithful to canonical lore. There are quite a few changes, but they make game play fit the back story better rather than worse.

It appears that heroes with channeling promotions cannot get Twincast, even with Combat V. Is it a bug or a feature?

It seems to me that they can get it just fine, provided that they are of the Arcane or Disciple unitcombat.

I believe it was set like that because units of other unitcombats are unlikely to have access to any summoning spells and so could not benefit from learning Twincast. Vampirism changes that though.

I think I'll make it available to other unitcombats, and add Extension 1 as another prerequsite. Any unit able to purchase Extension 1 should also be able to purchase a spell sphere promotion that allows it to summon something.

A while ago, almost at the beginning of time, there used to be promotions such as Elf slayer, Dwarf slayer and Orc slayer but they have been removed, although I don't know why. Do you intend to bring them back?

Top Bottom