Vanilla Civilization Overhauls

ScottMcPwn

Huscarl
Seeing what has been done in BNW so far with France indicates that the devs are trying to overhaul the current civs.
France has had it's UA changed aswell as one of it's UUs so IMHO it is probable that other civs have similar changes.
Some changes I would like to see is with England, in paticular I would like to see it renamed Britain/Great Britain as ATM it is making England look like it built the British Empire alone whereas without the Welsh, Scottish and partly Irish help it would never of happened. I would also like to see the Longbowmen replaced with Redcoats as they played a much bigger part in Britain's history and along with the Royal Navy, constructed the empire.
Please post other changes you would like to see here!

Longbows are more famous and interesting than Redcoats and they add diversity of time period (as opposed to two units from the same time period). In addition, British Redcoats had a very small window of the more powerful land army (a time period where they actually lost in North America). Generally speaking, both the French and Prussian armies were more significant than the British Redcoats. In addition, there are Minute Men, Janissaries, Musketeers, and Tercios as Musketmen replacements. Hell, the Carolean should be a Musket replacement but there were too many so a matchlock musket wielding unit from the 17th century is a rifleman replacement. On top of that, you want to add the redcoat?

Longbows are strongly associated with the English and their victory at Agincourt and are an interesting unit to play. They have a very different ability (range three is quite good) and they come at a slot where there's only one other unit.

The English are the dominant culture group among the British and they're the only one that doesn't run into difficulty with overlapping with the Celts. Wales, Scotland, and Ireland (all part of the British Isles and the British Empire) make up of the bulk of the Celtic cities and units. A non-English "Briton" from Colchester is their leader. On top of this, I can think of no good reason to make a change from England to Britain.

Overall, it is an unnecessary and bad change to make.

---

Anyway, there's a strong argument for Germany, as discussed in another thread. I still feel Songhai should be changed. I wouldn't mind tweaks to either the Arabs or the Dutch. There's less pressing need, though.

as an Irishman, i assure you we did far to more to hinder the British empire than to help, with the exception of Ulster from the Plantations onwards.

England is fine, and it should be England as a Civ, not Britain. Germany and India, among others, are begging for overhauls and need it much more than England

UA of the Dutch. With trade system they can have a better description of the company. Maybe a bonus on the naval trades.

Scott: Idk man if it wasnt for those longbows you might be speaking French.... that said I imagine it'd be satisfying to turn the Redcoats loose on shaka. Any suggestion as to their ability? Though I dont think you'll get your British wish.

Louis: Red Coats had like a 200 year run. They dont have to be musketmen. Last appearance was in the 1880s with top of the line rifles. You brought up the Tercio... I guess thats something I would have liked replaced with a ship, not vanilla, but still...

I think one thing worth mentioning is everything else in the poster has appeared in the game with the exception of the Motte and Bailey. I don't know who I would give it to (I don't quite think the Danes are appropriate), but it's worth considering in deciding whether other civs have been overhauled.

roguesaw: actually, the reason why the English nobility stopped speaking French and turned to English was because England lost the Hundred Years War... If the longbows were more succesful, same English kings would have ruled France and continue speaking French.

I think one thing worth mentioning is everything else in the poster has appeared in the game with the exception of the Motte and Bailey. I don't know who I would give it to (I don't quite think the Danes are appropriate), but it's worth considering in deciding whether other civs have been overhauled.
We haven't seen this yet either:

Can you post it next to the Portugal UI? My guess was one is a land version, the other a sea version.

We haven't seen this yet either:

I would like to point out that an particular style of house in North Africa is called the Riad and they have interior courtyards not unlike what you see in that central building. Morocco has riads.

Motte and Bailey could be improvement for the fort? I really think they could do something with forts. For example giving some bonuses for them in Honor tree or even giving them gold or production. Or maybe give little combat bonus to units in the next hexes. I never build forts and I believe Im not the only one.

I think the building could be Moroccan riad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroccan_riad

I would like to point out that an particular style of house in North Africa is called the Riad and they have interior courtyards not unlike what you see in that central building. Morocco has riads.

If I may add to this, the outside of the big square fort-like structure seems kinda similar in design with this photo:

Minus beach longchairs, obviously! :lol:

But maybe I'm stretching it a bit? :p In anycase, it's very well possible!

Martinus in 1417 Henry the 5th encouraged the use of English and spoke it himself. The hundred years war ended in the 1450s. The war itself, not the outcome, is why they dropped the French language.

For all we know, the Feitoria can only be built on the coast. Might not have an inland version.

If I may add to this, the outside of the big square fort-like structure seems kinda similar in design with this photo:
Minus beach longchairs, obviously! :lol:

But maybe I'm stretching it a bit? :p In anycase, it's very well possible!

One possible bonus for Riad can be "Yield +2 :c5food: and +1 :c5gold: per turn . Can only be built on a desert coast . Yield +1 tourism per turn once Flight is researched"

Top Bottom