Useless Rambling on "the best civs"

Mrdarklight

Warlord
OK, I have been playing a heck of a lot of Civ lately, since the G&K expansion. I've played a lot of civs, and gotten to know how well they work pretty well. So I am just going to go through a few of the civs and talk about how good they are in the whole scheme of things.

Like most things on the internet this is just selfish bloviating, but maybe you'll find something interesting. I'm not telling you the game is bad -- I think it's a fantastic game. But there are some weirdities.

1. Really Strong Civs
I know all civs are supposed to be balanced, but I just don't see it. I can name a few civs that are just much better than average. I base this on my ability to win the game with them on Emperor level.

1. Babylon. I just finished a game with these guys. Wow. I led in science for the whole game and launched the spaceship before anyone else had even built one piece. I had to cut Rome down to size once, and went to war with Ramesses a couple of times, but still won. I had about 22 wonders in the end, but about half of those were from Rome and Ethiopia's capitals. I honestly felt like it was as easy as winning at King level.

2. China. This was my first Emperor win.

3. Inca. These guys are great. The hill bonus gives you a big advantage in skirmish warfare, allowing you to take a stand where you want to and retreat when you want to. Fighting in hills with the Inca is like having the Great Wall. It slows your enemies and lets you move freely. Their terrace farms seem like great food tiles, but they're actually good food tiles and good production tiles (they're all on hills, so they get +2 hammers). Get the right hills next to a mountain and you can grow like a weed.

4. The Huns. These guys are more situational. If you are unlucky, you won't get to use their fantastic horse archers and battering rams, but if you can, you absolutely dominate during the early game.

OK, those are the really good civs. Now for a couple of poor ones.

1. Polynesia. I really want to love this civ. I love being able to embark on ocean tiles from turn 1, and I love the idea of the maoi statues. They're a fun civ to play, but... I just can't win with them. I've tried cultural games, which should be great for them, and still lost, even to a civ that had 10 cities to my 3.

2. Sweden. Again, I can't really say they're a bad civ, but I can't win with them. The Caroleans are a lot of fun, and it's not hard to get a few CS allies, but that doesn't seem to translate to a victory.

3. Russia. I don't get these guys. You get advantages where you don't need them. So you get double strategic resources. Most of the time I don't need double resources, I have enough anyway. Other than that they seem pretty mediocre. I'll admit that I haven't played with them a lot though.

4. America. This is the civilization I want to love, but I can't even bring myself to try a game with them. Their UA's just... suck. Sorry, they do. I can't imagine I would ever save more than about 500g with their tile improvement discount, and +1 sight for land units is just meh.

Special mention: England
I like playing England a lot. Their longbows are awesome, and the +2 naval movement is great with a water map. Remember, that applies to embarked units too. 4 movement for embarked units in the Ancient Age! You move faster on water than you do on land. But again, I don't do as well with them as the really strong civs.

England is ridic OP; I enjoy America's UAs and UU even though you're right they are weak as hell in the big picture, although I will say that I personally save far more than 500g on buying tiles with them; Russia's 2x strat resources are really useful to me in the late game with uranium/aluminum.

If you read between the lines, Russia's bonus is double gold from selling strategics to AI.

If you read between the lines, Russia's bonus is double gold from selling strategics to AI.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I may have to try them again. You can also trade strategic resources for luxuries, which could be cool. I think generally 5 resources gets you 1 luxury.

Yep, I played Russia in my first few games specifically for this reason. Much like Russia has been one of the greatest producers of arms and munitions in recent history, do the same in Civ5. Arm city-states and arm weaker civilizations by selling them resources. Ally with them to attack another rival civilization.

I love Russia, they are one of the most flexible civs in the game, in my opinion. You can play them from all sorts of angles. Science, domination, diplomatic. The only two civilizations I will consider taking Gods of Craftsmen with are Rome and Russia.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I may have to try them again. You can also trade strategic resources for luxuries, which could be cool. I think generally 5 resources gets you 1 luxury.

5 strategics + 15 gold = 240 gold luxury cost.

Really powerful as Russia, but be sure to do those deals before the AI's hunger for iron and horses fade. No doubling for coal, aluminum or oil, and it's a looooong time before you get uranium.

actually on emperor, you will do better trade as russia, as the ai's rarely have 240gold at any time, but they usually have 45gold ready.
Play a larger map, and you'll be able to rushbuy all of your settlers.

2. Sweden. Again, I can't really say they're a bad civ, but I can't win with them. The Caroleans are a lot of fun, and it's not hard to get a few CS allies, but that doesn't seem to translate to a victory.

play them as a warmongering babylon, focus on useing the great person bonus to pump out scientists and merchants. gifting ur great generals to cs's. A food or faith generating cs early on is as good as a wonder. warmonger to generate the great generals, the trick is managing the diplomacy side.

the big secret to Swedes is the map size you are on. Given a huge map and a large # of civs you can get some insane bonuses with being friendly with say 1/2 the map and wage constant war with 1 or 2 unpopular civs for constant GG/GA. I've had plenty of huge map games with them with 70/80% modifier great person bonus + friends with the majority of city states.. then add in the awesome caroleans = almost OP

A well managed Korea with a large GS output goes great with the GTI Freedom Bonus.

Top Bottom