One Unit per Tile or Unit Stacking?

• One Unit per Tile

Votes: 211 75.9%
  • Unit Stacking

Votes: 67 24.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true. That would make for interesting gameplay because if at that point you can't build that many troops you won't use it but if you are a powerhouse you would be able to construct and maintain such massive armies.

Although Civ4 vs Civ5 is often the exception to that - since last July, the Civ4 forum has almost as many posts as Civ5, indicating nearly equal interest and activity. But in general, if you ask, "Is Civ4 or Civ2 better?", Civ4 is going to win simply because there are a lot more Civ4 players, and you'll have people voting who have never played Civ2 nor read much about it.

It may be true that the post counts are similar, but the number of people browsing the forums hugely favors Civ 5. Every time I look at how many people browse the forums, I see multiple times more people browsing Civ 5.

That seems to suggest that the Civ 4 population that is left is very active, but not that there are more Civ 4 players.

Civ V was aimed at a new crowd. That is why it has so many more people. Civ IV has a very dedicated group. Larger (probably) than the civs before it.

Although I have played Civilization since the original game, I find that I prefer 1UPT. It is so much easier to evaluate an incoming army without having to mouse a Stack of Doom, consult a spreadsheet, and whip out a calculator (or worse do the math in my head when I am supposed to be enjoying the game instead of doing self-inflicted homework.)

Although I have played Civilization since the original game, I find that I prefer 1UPT. It is so much easier to evaluate an incoming army without having to mouse a Stack of Doom, consult a spreadsheet, and whip out a calculator (or worse do the math in my head when I am supposed to be enjoying the game instead of doing self-inflicted homework.)
Uh, why would you use a calculator for an incoming army?
And it's not like it's that much work to mouse over and do all that reading.

Uh, why would you use a calculator for an incoming army?
And it's not like it's that much work to mouse over and do all that reading.

A) I was using a little humor not being literal.

B) Perhaps you could keep your passive aggressive implication that I am lazy to yourself?

I could swear there was another poll very similar to this recently run.

It's worth remembering that the posters actively reading the civ5 forums are those who either endorse 1UPT or stuck with the game despite 1UPT; most of the stack supporters are long gone, with some few having gone back to the civ4 forums.

As for the topic; 1UPT is superior, but Firaxis did a poor job implementing it by just pasting it into what were civ4 mechanics.

Well this thread was necroed so it may have been this very thread :p Also, I find there is a larger rift in 1upt vs. stacks in civ 5 people that civ 4 because quite a few civ 4 fans absolutely hate 1upt but civ 5 fans may like the game but dislike 1upt, or love it.

Well this thread was necroed so it may have been this very thread
The one I'm thinking of had different poll options.

Also, I find there is a larger rift in 1upt vs. stacks in civ 5 people that civ 4 because quite a few civ 4 fans absolutely hate 1upt but civ 5 fans may like the game but dislike 1upt, or love it.
I'm really trying to highlight a more general trend; the further into a game's lifespan, the percentage of remaining players who support whatever design changes a sequel/expansion introduced will be greater.

I'm not surprised you would perceive more disagreement within the current civ5 community than within the current civ4 community. There was much greater disagreement within either community around the time of civ5's release; back then these polls usually went 65/35 against 1UPT, a total inverse from this poll's results. Many players have left since then, though not only due to 1UPT.

Civ V was aimed at a new crowd. That is why it has so many more people.
It has more activity because it's the most recent iteration. Judging from the activity in select civ5 sub-forums, I wouldn't be surprised to see civ4 remain more active than civ5 once civ6 is released.

Civ IV has a very dedicated group. Larger (probably) than the civs before it.
I would agree that civ4 probably had the largest community of all the titles.

Civ V sold more copies but the fanbase is much more concentrated on Civ IV. Civ V sold somewhere around 7-5 times more.

Civ V sold somewhere around 7-5 times more.
It was a much different era. Making so direct a comparison is difficult; there was a far larger potential playerbase for civ5 versus civ4, no doubt with far more dumped into marketing civ5, a great deal of positive good will generated by civ4 producing positive word of mouth for the civ franchise, and a relative decline in strategy titles leaving civ5 one of the few(er) remaining.

Personally, I need only look at the succession game subforum to see the disparity in activity. Simply put, civ5 never had a succession game community.

I suppose if I played MP, the silent masses would be more relevant to me.

EDIT: Where did you get that "7-5 times more" figure? A quick glance on google suggests that civ5 had sold roughly 6 million copies by the time this thread started (5.84 million was the exact figure I believe), with civ4 surpassing that by some unlisted amount ("over 6 million copies sold").

I haven't yet gotten Civ5, but I'm not a fan of the gigantic stacks of doom in Civ4.

Maybe like..3 units per tile or something.

There seems to be 2 kinds of people here:
1UPTers:
Those that like the simple, nice and gamey feel 1UPT gives them. That argue 1UPT is good because it just is, easier, cleaner.

Many UPTers:
Same people that like grand strategy games and military simulators like those of Paradox, and argue with how stuff works in real life and because logics..
That want stuff to be credible and not insult their intelligence :p
I'm in this group.. Some pun intended :)

Moderator Action: Please do not necro long-expired threads. Let the dead rest in peace. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom