Favorite/least favorite aspect of Civ V?

TheologiaCrucis

Warlord
What is your favorite aspect of the gameplay in Civ V?

For me, it's probably pillaging. I am really fond of pillaging. :viking:

Least favorite aspect is getting pillaged.

Least favorite is getting permanently screwed up in the reputation department after invading city states. Annoying thing when civilizations on the other continent that barely made a contact with you suddenly denounce you even though the invasion took place 10 thousand miles away and had nothing to do with them. Wtf do they care?

Somewhat tied with the above is the annoying situation when you have nukes, stealth bombers and 20 modern tank units awaiting at the border of some puny civ that barely made it to renaissance and when you demand something from them, they refuse despite being outmatched like 1000:1 in terms of military.

AI sucked in civ 1 through 4 and sadly civ 5 is no different.

Favorite thing is settling/expanding my borders to acquire new resources on the map.

My favorite thing is to conquer armies and then cities using units before stealth bombers and xcoms, because you need to plan for anti-air units; build cruisers, subs and battleships and of course artilleries, infantries, even tanks. These wars are engaging and fast, which makes them interesting. I'm not a big fan of crossbows and swordsmen ..

Least favorite thing is being denounced and hated for almost any thing that benefits your civilization even if you retaliate and do to them what they did to you, for example, send missionaries to their cities. So when the time comes WAR is the only answer and they must be destroyed for questioning my game plan!

I hate when I take a barbarian camp with one unit at 5% health against my unit at 15% health only to find they just spit out a new unit that then kills my unit.

I hate leaders who constantly want to make a ridiculous trades like giving me horse for whales when I already have 20 unused horses and won't agree to any other trade. They keep repeating the same offer no matter how many times I refuse.

I hate leaders who complain I settle too close to them even though my city is 12 spaces from their city and then they denounce me.

I like conquering cities of those who insulted me earlier in the game or kept attacking me for no good reason.

I like how it's way too fun. I hate how it takes way too long to play.

Favourite is conquering but I also really enjoy the start of the game and finding all the civs since I always play random civs.

Least favourite is Rebels like say Shaka declares war on me early and I defend then I go conquer one of his cities or even his capital I end up going into around 10 unhappiness. So why do rebels pop up around MY capital? Why exactly are my citizens unhappy that I defended them from being killed/ Conquered? If anything rebels should pop up near the conquered cities.

Favorite: Adapting to the map and the AI and coming up from behind to surpass them and win on Deity.

Least Favorite: Starts that make my UA, UU, or UB useless or that give me no feasible second city sites.

Least Favorite: When a hostile Brazil makes fun of my puny army
Favorite: Getting 6 free Foreign Legions the next turn. Goodbye Brazil! :mwaha:

Favorite : 1 unit per tile.
Least :Governor. It sucks at expand your border, and I wonder why buying an hill is so expensive. You can't configure it for late game when micromanagement becomes boring. Even focus are strange, you can put Food and governor will work a mine instead an plain. Is Science focus working ? I wonder, maybe I would try it.

least favorite: finishing the game after you know you've won (i know i don't have to, but often i still want to somehow). e.g. finishing off last opponents or pressing enter until the science/culture win etc.

i also don't like that turns in late game can take ages on my computer (mapbook), especially on a large map (although admittedly, changing back and forth to strategic view helps a lot)!

favorite:
the different kinds of games you can play with this civ. all scenarios, wins, and civs just make the game very different and require different kinds of tactics. for me it's the most addictive civilization since civ II (which, by the way, i still play regularly with friends :p)!

Least favorite is having things like el dorado in the game and assyrias library replacement also annoys me a lot.

Favorite: Mixing it up in Medieval to early Modern fighting.
Honorable Mention: Fiddling around with Great Works, theming, and capturing Works. Culture is fun!

Least Favorite: Ridiculous warmonger penalties for taking City-States or any early combat. Some things can only be resolved on the battlefield... and your later game can be ruined because everyone hates you.

Related: AI leaders stopping in to chat. I don't care if you think I'm mean, stop wasting my game time. I don't care if you think my military's weak. (Spoiler: my units may be outnumbered... but Jaguars with Rifles will just make a meal of your old pikemen. Especially with Range-Gatling support. And March for everyone. And a Khan I was lucky enough to get.)

Dishonorable Mention: Horrible cheating by AI in religion department. How does Venice always seem to get first religion on the map, without even taking a Faith pantheon? I built Stonehenge and there wasn't a religious city-state in sight. No way he finished Piety that early either.

Seriously. Latest game Theodora forward settled right in my face when I'm playing as Montezuma. What does the world expect, that I just sit down and take it? Spain settled close on the other side of me too, leaving me with my Capital and sub-par places to settle myself. I decide that the Byzantine menace needs to go.

Dishonorable Mention: Horrible cheating by AI in religion department. How does Venice always seem to get first religion on the map, without even taking a Faith pantheon? I built Stonehenge and there wasn't a religious city-state in sight. No way he finished Piety that early either.

First way for this to happen: He built Hagia Sophia and he got a Great Prophet.

Second way for this to happen: He finished the Liberty Tree due to working with only a single city or two at most while you were expanding and he got a Great Prophet.

For me it was the sheer impossibility of Deity. I won a few games by sticking rigidly to the gameplans set out on here but that was far from satisfying. What I wanted was a fair chance but against stern opposition. People recommended I play on lower levels but what I wanted was a sporting chance against top quality opposition. What I have done is give myself the same advantages as the ai but on deity so that they are up and running quickly and we all move on quickly. Playing on lower levels you find yourself waiting around for people to have oil etc if you don't have any.
I use advance set up and aggressive/smart a.i. , give myself 5 techs to start with and one extra settler and one worker. So far its been enjoyable. I don't have to follow a set path and I have some almighty battles by the industrial era. I have won victories of all types but have also been wiped out by civs who kept pace with me so its exciting as well. Sometimes I add in all the warmongers and give myself a couple of units to start as well so they don't flatten me. I know its not pure civ, but for me on deity, pure civ is just a grind.

My favorite part of the game is that it's a challenge. The Deity and Immortal difficulties give you a hard time and a challenge which I like because you could improve your skills for next time. What I like the least is the wide variety of civilizations that people could choose while people live in a certain geographical location that is not the same as the local civilization leader. I don't find that being that least favorite anyways.

For me it was the sheer impossibility of Deity. I won a few games by sticking rigidly to the gameplans set out on here but that was far from satisfying. What I wanted was a fair chance but against stern opposition. People recommended I play on lower levels but what I wanted was a sporting chance against top quality opposition. What I have done is give myself the same advantages as the ai but on deity so that they are up and running quickly and we all move on quickly. Playing on lower levels you find yourself waiting around for people to have oil etc if you don't have any.
I use advance set up and aggressive/smart a.i. , give myself 5 techs to start with and one extra settler and one worker. So far its been enjoyable. I don't have to follow a set path and I have some almighty battles by the industrial era. I have won victories of all types but have also been wiped out by civs who kept pace with me so its exciting as well. Sometimes I add in all the warmongers and give myself a couple of units to start as well so they don't flatten me. I know its not pure civ, but for me on deity, pure civ is just a grind.

For what you seek in the game, I recommend playing no higher than Emperor. While Advanced Starts can be fun, as Harrison Ford (Han Solo) said in Star wars, 'Don't get cocky, kid' :)

i like to build a big empire and army and then go to war. I dont like the diplomacy in the game compare to other strategy games. in civ its to unpredictable and litle to do, the ai is doing things just random it feels so dont like that. cant believe a good game as civ is making diplomacy suck..

Top Bottom