Caveman 2 Cosmos

Man, I feel obliged to give some good feedback about your mod after my first 2-hour playing time.

This mod far surpassed my expectations. The main lobby song is really funny, the entire mod loads a LOT faster than AND used to, and Prehistoric Era (with Civs that don't have rigid, pre-defined starting techs) is AWESOME! Seriously, now you feel you're ruling over your Civilization destiny from the very beginning.

I was wondering, though, if this mod is playabe on Multiplayer hotseat (I have a couple of friends who might enjoy it), even if it isn't fully balanced for multiplayer. You stated in your first topic that this mod isn't for multiplaying, and I wonder if that is due to technical issues or balance ones.

Man, I feel obliged to give some good feedback about your mod after my first 2-hour playing time.

This mod far surpassed my expectations. The main lobby song is really funny, the entire mod loads a LOT faster than AND used to, and Prehistoric Era (with Civs that don't have rigid, pre-defined starting techs) is AWESOME! Seriously, now you feel you're ruling over your Civilization destiny from the very beginning.

I was wondering, though, if this mod is playabe on Multiplayer hotseat (I have a couple of friends who might enjoy it), even if it isn't fully balanced for multiplayer. You stated in your first topic that this mod isn't for multiplaying, and I wonder if that is due to technical issues or balance ones.

Multi player is not fixed in the DLL we use for C2C. There is a new DLL which fixes that problem but it will need to be merged with what we use. This means it will take awhile and that after we can find someone willing to try and do it.

I've been playing a hotseat game and have been experiencing no problems with that. (Except maybe that its all the more addictive... lol)

Well, I'm into my second game (as Babylon and I'm whipping a$$!). But I have found one very irritating problem--the diplomacy screen comes up without text in the dialog box (see attached screenie) which make any kind of diplomacy impossible. I suspect that it's something in the BUG module.

jimmygeo

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 67
Well, I'm into my second game (as Babylon and I'm whipping a$$!). But I have found one very irritating problem--the diplomacy screen comes up without text in the dialog box (see attached screenie) which make any kind of diplomacy impossible. I suspect that it's something in the BUG module.

jimmygeo

This is sometimes the sign of a bad install or code confusion. You did delete any previous version of C2C before installing? If not delete and reinstall. Also clear the cache just in case.

If you have any of the following in the mods folders temporally rename them by putting a "z" or some such in the front of their names.

Try running again. Is the problem still there?

I have Windows 7 64-Bit. Is this operating system better for running huge mods, or are there also some tools that make it easier here?

If you have Win 7 64 bit, it already has the 3GB switch, so dont mess with anything in Win 7, ok.

Glad you like it. I agree that having no set tech for you civ in the beginning make it feel a lot more personal. That's one thing about RoM, AND and now C2C, is that it has a more personal touch in the variety of things you can do. Really now you can play in a variety of styles and still have fun.

BTW what speed are you playing on? A 2 hour game on normal is much different then a 2 hour game on snail for instance.

Was finally able to D/L the new 7 version (my Sat. ISP D/L and U/L limited per month :p ).

Hope to get some playtime this weekend.

JosEPh :)

Hello folks.

It's my first post here but I've been lurking around for a while.
I've been playing the mod a bit ... or rather trying to. With previous versions I was having flickering interface bug. With the latest version my game stops working after few hundred rounds after hitting the END TURN button. I'm here not for complaining about that however as I'm sure the mod will get more stable as it gets more polishing.

What I wanted is to drop you some constructive critic feedback about prehistoric era that I was able to play through before my games got unstable.

The first thing I've observed was that I couldn't turn off the goody islands short of deleting it from the mod folder (which I did as I never use goody huts as a house rule).

Another thing is the Hunter and Hawk units, that, if I'm not mistaken, were borrowed from Fall from Heaven mod. Hunter seems to be overpowered for it's era and Hawk honestly doesn't make much sense in your mod. Let me explain. While in fantasy mod having a hawk as a scout is an interesting concept it would never work like that in reality as hawks are just animals unable to communicate to their masters what they saw when flying over the terrain ... obviously :p Now, hunters ... I like the unit in general but it should come into game much much later, perhaps as a counterpart for explorer unit (having ability to attack thus actively hunting for animals to populate carnival for example). As it is now, with str 3 and move 2, they make any military unit up to axeman and horseman a waste of hammers. If you don't want to kick the Hunter out of it's era then perhaps you might concider tweaking the unit to have severe penalty against all but animall units to reflect a skilled band of hunters being able to track and kill any game but not prepared for combat against trained warriors properly equipped for a battle.

Another unit I'd like to comment on is battering ram. I like having an unit able to batter fortifications but I don't see how could it be doing collateral damage at all. As it is the unit can even make a mess to enemy's stack on the open field ... or even forest. I would suggest drastically lowering it's strentght (or prevening it from direct attack whatsoever) so it would be only usable to bombard city's defence and not much more, as it was with real rams at their time.

Speaking of overpowered units ... barbarian penguins ... bloodthirsty penguins decimating warriors and workers alike? I do like easter eggs but come on :crazyeye:

Now, I'd like to say few words about great generals. They're great when they're turned into field generals and I love the way they work ... however they do get overpowered A LOT when promoted properly. You see, they have them promotions that help other units withdraw from battle ( up to 70% chance ). That stacks with unit's own ability and your mod allows 100% withdraw chance, thus making them units unkillable when on attack ( and unkillable on defence as long as player enabled defenders withdraw and the unit have a plot to run to ). Also attacking with str 0.1 unit (that has 100% of withdrawal thus immortal) gives tons and tons of experience to the unit and is easy and strightforward to abuse. If I remember correctly Fall form Heaven 2 had 90% cap on withdraw chance. That might sort the issue out. You might also concider nerfind down the bonuses of general's promotions as well as make them activated after specific warfare tech is discovered.

As far as promotions go I'd like to share with my thoughts about woodsman and guerilla promotions. Woodsman III is very interesting promotion and I don't understand why Guerilla III doesn't have extra bonuses compared to Woodsman. Perhaps a withdrawal chance and heal while moving could be sneaked in to balance them two out. Also I don't understand why melee units can get III rank promotion and recon units are limited only to II rank. If anything it should be other way around to reflect recons indirect support for the main task force and main force's lack of subtelty of recon units.

I didn't get anywhere to have sniper (and alike) units but I've read civilopedia about them targeting recon units first. Perhaps it might be better to have them to target the weakest unit instead (something like Marksman promotion in Fall from Heaven 2) and have a promotion (like, say, spotter) allowing the unit to defend first agaist marksman attack to counter it. Again, like I said, I didn't get as far in the game so it's only theoretical.

Also, any chance to have an option in the BUG menu to activate and deactivate particular relligions? I don't see vodoo fitting the mod to be honest.

Well ... phew, that was a long one. hope I didnt bore you to death haha. And don't take it as a rant, I just want to give you some alternatives you might want to concider when updating your great mod. Keep up the good work :goodjob:

PS. Sorry for all them typos and spelling. I'm a terrible typer :p

Glad you like it. I agree that having no set tech for you civ in the beginning make it feel a lot more personal. That's one thing about RoM, AND and now C2C, is that it has a more personal touch in the variety of things you can do. Really now you can play in a variety of styles and still have fun.

BTW what speed are you playing on? A 2 hour game on normal is much different then a 2 hour game on snail for instance.

I am playing it on snail speed, which feels much more real to me. I couldn't take 'vanilla' BTS where a warrior, in normal speed, would cross something like 10km (a tile) in twenty-five years (what were they doing, camping every 10m?). Now they cross it in ten years, sure a lot of time, but closer to being realistic.

The real touch with being able to personalize your civ is that you can make it more realistic. More than once I spawned as Egypt on a coastal tile with a single farming resource, surrounded by water, what made me literally lose some time researching fishing with no initial use for Agriculture.

So, are you now incorporating new dlls to the game? I though you wouldn't (as stated in the first topics of this thread). Now I see how the game loads faster than AND used to.

EDIT: @Classicfrog pointed out some interesting things to address to, IMHO. I personally have nothing against those hawks, however. What I did find out is that when you settle a city on a coastal tile, surrounded by water tiles (except one tile of earth), it generates two gatherers instead of one. Maybe it's a bug, I don't know, I was playing with Spain, but the gatherer spawned on a coastal tile (literally in the water), although I was able to move it to a land tile.

Finally, Classicfrog, I crossed over the same issue with goody hunts and unknown islands, but I've found out that it is related to the mapscripts. I used Smartmap, and there are options to disable goodies, it may overrride the other option (No Tribal Villages).

Hello folks.

It's my first post here but I've been lurking around for a while.
I've been playing the mod a bit ... or rather trying to. With previous versions I was having flickering interface bug. With the latest version my game stops working after few hundred rounds after hitting the END TURN button. I'm here not for complaining about that however as I'm sure the mod will get more stable as it gets more polishing.

What I wanted is to drop you some constructive critic feedback about prehistoric era that I was able to play through before my games got unstable.

Welcome and thanks for the comments, some of which are in my sphere so I'll answer. Some aren't but I'll reply anyway. ;)

I think we have found and eliminated the flashing bug in the latest version. If you are still getting it we would like to know.

The first thing I've observed was that I couldn't turn off the goody islands short of deleting it from the mod folder (which I did as I never use goody huts as a house rule).

that is exactly what you are supposed to do with modules you don't want. Either that or move the folder to the "unloaded modules" folder. There is also a way to do it by editing the MLF file in the modules folder. You find its reference and change 1 to 0 in the load tag.

Another thing is the Hunter and Hawk units, that, if I'm not mistaken, were borrowed from Fall from Heaven mod. Hunter seems to be overpowered for it's era and Hawk honestly doesn't make much sense in your mod. Let me explain. While in fantasy mod having a hawk as a scout is an interesting concept it would never work like that in reality as hawks are just animals unable to communicate to their masters what they saw when flying over the terrain ... obviously :p Now, hunters ... I like the unit in general but it should come into game much much later, perhaps as a counterpart for explorer unit (having ability to attack thus actively hunting for animals to populate carnival for example). As it is now, with str 3 and move 2, they make any military unit up to axeman and horseman a waste of hammers. If you don't want to kick the Hunter out of it's era then perhaps you might concider tweaking the unit to have severe penalty against all but animall units to reflect a skilled band of hunters being able to track and kill any game but not prepared for combat against trained warriors properly equipped for a battle.

I got the hunter, hawk and hunting lodge from WoC maybe they got it from Fall from Heaven. I thought I had fixed it so it had a str of 2 with a bonus against animals but that was not what was released. I do have an update for it in the pipeline.

The problem with moving it later is that there will not be any animals left for it to hunt. It is hard coded in the base game that animals start to disappear after a set turn. Testing suggests that having the hunter available as a special scout works fairly optimally although there is some tweeking still to do. Mostly with changing the tech for some of the buildings. The SubdueAnimals mod was designed for a mod which does not have a prehistoric era and I would like to keep it balanced in both. Luckily because we are using the WoC and BUG coding standards this looks like it will be easy enough.

I keep wanting to remove the hawk unit but there are howls of protest when I do.;)

Another unit I'd like to comment on is battering ram. I like having an unit able to batter fortifications but I don't see how could it be doing collateral damage at all. As it is the unit can even make a mess to enemy's stack on the open field ... or even forest. I would suggest drastically lowering it's strentght (or prevening it from direct attack whatsoever) so it would be only usable to bombard city's defence and not much more, as it was with real rams at their time.

We have been meaning to discuss rams for awhile, StrategyOnly commented that they were not correct but none of us could come up with suggestions on how to fix it. We do have graphics for two or more units but no ideas. thanks for yours.

Speaking of overpowered units ... barbarian penguins ... bloodthirsty penguins decimating warriors and workers alike? I do like easter eggs but come on :crazyeye:

Actually they are emus, ostriches, cassowaries and moa in formal wear:lol:. They are some of the graphically challenged units. they have been removed in the latest version until we can get some more appropriate graphics. If you don't want to download the latest version then go to the "Caveman2Cosmos/Assets/Modules/DancingHoskuld/SubdueAnimals/ folder and delete the graphicallychallenged folder. Note this will not be save game compatible.

Now, I'd like to say few words about great generals. ....

Also, any chance to have an option in the BUG menu to activate and deactivate particular relligions? I don't see vodoo fitting the mod to be honest.

I have not figured out how to do this yet. In the mean time just remove the unwanted religion folders from the DancingHoskuld/Custom_Religions folder. They were done this way, as different folders, for this very reason and will remain this way until I can figure out how to make them optional via options (game or BUG).

So, are you now incorporating new dlls to the game? I though you wouldn't (as stated in the first topics of this thread). Now I see how the game loads faster than AND used to.

We do have someone working on improving the AND dll but many of the loading speed improvements are because we are putting the art into FPAK files.

EDIT: @Classicfrog pointed out some interesting things to address to, IMHO. I personally have nothing against those hawks, however. What I did find out is that when you settle a city on a coastal tile, surrounded by water tiles (except one tile of earth), it generates two gatherers instead of one. Maybe it's a bug, I don't know, I was playing with Spain, but the gatherer spawned on a coastal tile (literally in the water), although I was able to move it to a land tile.

That means you got it from an goody island. ;)

Finally, Classicfrog, I crossed over the same issue with goody hunts and unknown islands, but I've found out that it is related to the mapscripts. I used Smartmap, and there are options to disable goodies, it may overrride the other option (No Tribal Villages).

I think Tribal Villages = goody huts.

Unfortunately disabling goody huts in the map script won't disable goody islands as they are added post map script.

Goody islands were designed to make the sea as interesting as the land (by Kathy). S/he also has a mod to give us back the three depths of sea as in Civ III, coastal, sea and (deep) ocean. The main problem with including that one is that we would need to redo all the sea units, techs and promotions. We also don't have the graphics for representing all three.

This game goes into "take forever to pass its turn mode" when the Incan Empire forms. And no; it's not an Advanced Start.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-1893.CivBeyondSwordSave
    477.5 KB · Views: 54
I think Tribal Villages = goody huts.

Unfortunately disabling goody huts in the map script won't disable goody islands as they are added post map script.

Goody islands were designed to make the sea as interesting as the land (by Kathy). S/he also has a mod to give us back the three depths of sea as in Civ III, coastal, sea and (deep) ocean. The main problem with including that one is that we would need to redo all the sea units, techs and promotions. We also don't have the graphics for representing all three.

In fact, disabling Tribal Villages did no good, they still spawn if "Goodies" in Smartmap is still set to Normal. I don't know how Kathy coded his mod, but is there no way to add a "GoodyHut" tag to the unknown islands? As far as I can see, they are terrain features (such as the Tribal Villages) and if they are tagged as goodies, they could be easily disabled with an in-game option.

I see no problem with having only two kinds of sea. And definitely you should keep working on the dlls, much can be achieved with the right code.

In fact, disabling Tribal Villages did no good, they still spawn if "Goodies" in Smartmap is still set to Normal. I don't know how Kathy coded his mod, but is there no way to add a "GoodyHut" tag to the unknown islands? As far as I can see, they are terrain features (such as the Tribal Villages) and if they are tagged as goodies, they could be easily disabled with an in-game option.

Since Vincentz made the reef feature I have considered going back and seeing if I could convert the goody islands to a feature also. If I have time I will and see if they can be tagged the same as their land counter part.

I see no problem with having only two kinds of sea. And definitely you should keep working on the dlls, much can be achieved with the right code.

Unfortunately it has been discovered many times that some of the problems stem from the underlying engine (exe) and can't be fixed because the code has not been released. It isn't Firaxis code but something they bought so they can't release it.

Unfortunately it has been discovered many times that some of the problems stem from the underlying engine (exe) and can't be fixed because the code has not been released. It isn't Firaxis code but something they bought so they can't release it.

Then, let's get the best of what we can change in the code we have access to ;)

I just looked at the code. What I would have done and what you suggest form the basis of the mod but the game does not place the huts on the ocean or consider them as huts so python code was needed to implement them.

Which remonds me you need to do more than just delete the folder to get rid of them. You need to edit init.xml in the folder Assets/Config and remove the line containing goody islands
Code:
	<load mod="Goody Islands"/>

I am playing it on snail speed, which feels much more real to me. I couldn't take 'vanilla' BTS where a warrior, in normal speed, would cross something like 10km (a tile) in twenty-five years (what were they doing, camping every 10m?). Now they cross it in ten years, sure a lot of time, but closer to being realistic.

I totally agree about the speed. I make all my mods in C2C with snail in mind. BTW if you want to know my recommenced setting go here. Its what I play and test with.

Me, personally, no, since I only mod XML stuff. But we have like 3 or 4 active modders on C2C with various modding skills. I specialize in design and mostly buildings. However I have dabbled in promotions, civics and techs. I also helped make/pick out the main screen, loading screen and hilarious music.

Since Vincentz made the reef feature I have considered going back and seeing if I could convert the goody islands to a feature also. If I have time I will and see if they can be tagged the same as their land counter part.

Your reefs/sea rocks never show up on PW2. Could you make that map script put it in since I really like that map and think they should be included.

I've been working on debugging and various other projects with the .dll. Seems that's my position on the team ;) I realize this means others who wish to work on source code may need me to figure out how to post the sourcecode online here which is something I'm also working on but currently I can only offer a compiled .dll at a time. If anyone wants to work on SDK issues for this mod, talk to me and I'll work with you on that.

I totally agree about the speed. I make all my mods in C2C with snail in mind. BTW if you want to know my recommenced setting go here. Its what I play and test with.

Me, personally, no, since I only mod XML stuff. But we have like 3 or 4 active modders on C2C with various modding skills. I specialize in design and mostly buildings. However I have dabbled in promotions, civics and techs. I also helped make/pick out the main screen, loading screen and hilarious music.

Thanks for the recommended settings, I'll give them a try.

And BTW, congratulations on your great work, this mod is surely the best one I've tried these days. And that "freak Montezuma" line in the song makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Top Bottom