Immortal cultural victory map settings

kjades

Chieftain
Hello guyz,

the question is simple, which map settings make an immortal cultural victory doable and which ones make it perfectly impossible?
Meaning, for example, what's the limit of the map size I should go for? Number of Civs?

Hope my dilemma is clear :)

Cultural Victory Works fine on Large Islands with 8 city states.

It looks slow on Tiny Islands, but so are all peaceful victory conditions.

@Joncnunn

Map size?
And from what size of the map do you think the cultural victory is basically too hard to be achieved? Or maybe the map size doesn't really affect a cultural victory?

Map size effects cultural victory, you tech a little faster once you've met everyone, there's more competition for wonders, and if the culture leader is on the opposite side of a huge map it's a pain in the ass to walk your musicians all that way.

I was wondering...do you think it's doable to go for cultural victory while the top ranking AIs go for scientific victory but at the same time getting any possible cultural wonder in the tree?
It's basically (at least for me) IMPOSSIBLE to keep their research pace...

I was wondering...do you think it's doable to go for cultural victory while the top ranking AIs go for scientific victory but at the same time getting any possible cultural wonder in the tree?
It's basically (at least for me) IMPOSSIBLE to keep their research pace...

there is no problem to get ahead of the AI in tech on immortal quite early. You just need to follow the SV path until plastics with a slight delay to get Archeology.

Yeah, but I meant...keep the AI's research pace while building up enough culture/cultural buildings/wonders/whatsoever to get a cultural victory in the end...basically, is it possible to aim to a cultural victory while AIs massively run for a scientific one?
hope the questions is clear :S

Ah, I'd like also to know usually in your CV tactics how many cities you found...I usually go for three, but I suppose that depends a lot on the map size, type of neighbourhood, etc etc...

Well, early wonders are not really essential for CV. If I go for CV, my tech path is:

NC followed by early education, then beelines:

1) Accoustics (but I rarely try the Sistine)
2) Machinery
3) Scientific Theory
4) Radio (use Oxford for it)
5) Archeology
6) Plastics
7) hotel tech
8) Internet
9) Radar if needed

If you do it right, you should have no problem entering modern first.

First wonder aside Oracle I target is Uffizi. If you have hammer heavy cap - then you can try some others, but they are not essential.
If you miss it, you can try the Louvre, AI rarely targets it. You can get both ofc.

From Modern era - I usually use GE for Eiffel and try to build Broadway manually.
That, together with museums and Hermitage is more than enough space to get as many artifacts you can get.

I always make 4 cities tho, now and then consider 5th too (standart size pangea and standart speed). I am not really a fan of 3 city strategies, and I think they are definitely inferior. I guess there are times where you just don't have space for a fourth city, but thats pretty much impossible at immortal.

Ah, along with the research race against the AIs I forgot to mention...how do you keep going straight cultural knowing that neighbour AIs might invade you any moment, especially if your borders are close to the match warmonger...
Many people posting about cultural victories seem to ignore this fact, and only post matches where they were never ever touched by war or warring neighbours...which in my experience happens very rarely...

Ah, along with the research race against the AIs I forgot to mention...how do you keep going straight cultural knowing that neighbour AIs might invade you any moment, especially if your borders are close to the match warmonger...
Many people posting about cultural victories seem to ignore this fact, and only post matches where they were never ever touched by war or warring neighbours...which in my experience happens very rarely...

Well, you have to make sure that they don't invade :) That means - don't piss em off, propose things at the WC that they are going to like and bribe em to attack other ppl, and its best if you don't make any DOFs. Being tech leader definitely helps here, and in order to avoid actually building an army, its good idea to ally some militaristic CS, so they do the army for you.

The really scary warmongers are a few btw, so its not really uncommon to end up with freindly guys as your neighbours. And even if you get someone like Atilla next door, at the moment where you start the real work at the CV (at industrial), if you have a good tech lead over em, they are not a real treat anymore.

Map size effects cultural victory, you tech a little faster once you've met everyone, there's more competition for wonders, and if the culture leader is on the opposite side of a huge map it's a pain in the ass to walk your musicians all that way.

I saw the slickest solution to this in a video by Acken. He built a city right next to his cities, actually within his boarders, then he sold that city to the culture leader and just marched his musicians a couple tiles and bombed the leader.

Well, you have to make sure that they don't invade That means - don't piss em off, propose things at the WC that they are going to like and bribe em to attack other ppl, and its best if you don't make any DOFs. Being tech leader definitely helps here, and in order to avoid actually building an army, its good idea to ally some militaristic CS, so they do the army for you.

Mmm maybe I'm unlucky...or just too charming to be left unharmed :D but several times I get attacked even by civs which were supposed to be friends two turns earlier. :(

ps: do slower game speeds like epic affect too negatively the match to pursue a CV? I read it somewhere...

pps: something I haven't really grasped yet about how to gain the tech lead early...how do you really go for it? raw population growth with only two cities founded? early foundation of 4 cities and slower population stacking? very early library in 2 cities + NC asap? I'm a bit confused about this...

ppps: in general, when do u have the first and second settler spawn? after a certain building or turn?

pppps: I swear, there won't be any ppppps...:D

Mmm maybe I'm unlucky...or just too charming to be left unharmed :D but several times I get attacked even by civs which were supposed to be friends two turns earlier. :(

ps: do slower game speeds like epic affect too negatively the match to pursue a CV? I read it somewhere...

pps: something I haven't really grasped yet about how to gain the tech lead early...how do you really go for it? raw population growth with only two cities founded? early foundation of 4 cities and slower population stacking? very early library in 2 cities + NC asap? I'm a bit confused about this...

ppps: in general, when do u have the first and second settler spawn? after a certain building or turn?

pppps: I swear, there won't be any ppppps...:D

no idea about different speed, I play exclusively on standart speed.

My approach is following:

1) grow the cap till 4 pop, focusing on best food tiles
2) then build 2 settlers.

Now I feel that my happiness will allow it, I just do a 3rd settler immediately. Here we must calculate additional 400 gold to buy library in that 4th city.

3) the first expo builds granary, then library
4) the second expo - directly library.

The plan is to get National College asap.
After that you continue growing all cities, working scientist slots, getting rationalism + secularism asap. And it works out pretty much always. I don't think there was a game, where the AI entered modern before me on Immortal.

the question is simple, which map settings make an immortal cultural victory doable and which ones make it perfectly impossible?

I'm pretty sure your chances on victory depends more on your skill than map settings . ;)

It should also be quite obvious CV is easier rather on small map than large one.

pps: something I haven't really grasped yet about how to gain the tech lead early...how do you really go for it?

The easiest way to early tech lead on high difficulties is 3 cities NC (~70T) + 1 or 2 cities more (depends on map) and hit education ~105T

Top Bottom