Civ V every turn disconnect from MP

TheTopCat

Chieftain
Hi guys,

After searching on here and google, I've not found a solution to this problem, so apologies if it has been addressed somewhere before and I just haven't been able to find it :crazyeye:.

So, me and a friend have been trying to play Civ 5 multiplayer but the game keeps disconnecting, sometimes after a few turns, sometimes it was at the end of every turn! :mad:

All I've managed to glean so far is that the DX9 version is supposed to be more stable, but we both play through steam and have both forwarded steam's ports on our own routers (not a shared router or LAN, it is via internet). We're both running high spec pcs and we're both getting annoyed by the problem.

The error message iirc is "@@<playername> has disconnected AI will take over@@" or something similar to that.... it happens at the end of the turn.

Hope I've given you guys enough info to go on, but if not just ask!

Thanks!

Well, whilst there don't seem to be any answers, I have submitted a help request with 2k.... given the number of views this has had, it seems I'm not the only one suffering, so will post 2k's responses if they work.... finger crossed!

Well, whilst there don't seem to be any answers, I have submitted a help request with 2k.... given the number of views this has had, it seems I'm not the only one suffering, so will post 2k's responses if they work.... finger crossed!

Best of luck to you and definitely be sure to post the solution here.

The only luck i have with getting MP to work was restarting Steam, DirectX, or the computer as a whole. It usually ran much smoother after a restart of 1-multiple of the above.

Same here, usually it runs for a while after starting and then disconnects, but after that it's every turn or two from then on, even after restarting the app. Haven't tried restarting Steam much though, but I'll give it a go. This problem started recently, but I can't think of anything that I've changed, has there been an update on Steam recently?

I'll post back here if I come up with anything.

Well I've been in ongoing dialogue with 2k support for nearly a month...

...and I'm not any closer to anything even remotely resembling a solution.

So far, my favourite 2k response was "The problem is with the Steam program. Make sure you both have the latest version of Steam."

Have to say 2k have been utterly useless in their attempts to aid my plight.

I've tried a new router, I've tried port-forwarding on old and new router, placing the PC in the DMZ, tried Hamachi, nothing works... yet when me and the aforementioned friend play other games, it's fine! :crazyeye:

Quite possibly the most irritating issue I've ever experienced!!!

Anyone else had any joy?

I found a better solution, the above one didn't work for me.

The disconnects were getting unbearable. But I found a suggestion to turn off worker and settler recommendations. Also, I made sure all comps were connected to LAN not wifi. Not sure which helped, but haven't had a disconnect since, and we are now playing larger maps with no problem. Hope this helps!!!!

Hi I might be replying a tad late to this post because I wasn't playing Civ during this time. I did some research because my friends have these random dc's aswell. After a while of checking out what the problem was (browsing for HOURS) all I saw was strange posts about using hamachi to create a fake LAN network and VPN solutions to to also create a LAN network, upgrading MTU stacks (which can be quite tricky if you never used regedit) and all of these weird solutions.

Though the solution is about 1 million times simpeler, it seems that the servers that handle user connection within Civ are not overloaded but just have routing issues. Some providers have a difficult time routing to the Civ V servers where you are authenticated on generating random disconnects because some form of packet loss. It seems that the Civ authentication servers are using different WAN IP addresses and different routing tables which probably generate the DC's.

Now the solution is known though I am not really in the clear with fixing this issue because I can't lookup the servers (dns records etc are quite hidden) of their logon services. As soon as I have these problem servers I can traceroute towards these servers and let my friends ISP fix the broken hop.

The reason I feel that it's not every logon server but some that are connected to the same WAN IP (either via reverse proxy or just a WAN ip from 1 of their datacenters) have this issue is because during the day time we have no problems. Server overload could be the issue though it doesn't occur every evening eventhough it pretty much seems equally busy in the evening, thus my conclusion it's a routing issue. I hope this maybe helps you guys out.

Best regards,

Nugget.

P.S.

Sorry for my bad English.. <- not a native English speaker or writer.

Top Bottom