Tips on Diplomatic Victory with Venice

RatesAnalyst

Chieftain
Thanks all

Specific questions:
(1) If I bring a Civ back to life, are they obliged to vote for me for as World Leader?

(2) Does warmonger status affect the DV votes at all?

Background:
I'm playing my first game as Venice (Emperor - high for me ;) ).

After stagnating a bit early on, (I only bought 2 City states, on reflection I should have bought a third and I underinvested in culture and had to switch ideaology later) I got things going about Renaissance and am now the tech leader (just) having recently got Radar.

Given the large cash flow and super-powered trade missions I had been working towards Diplo victory.

However, because I have been buying CS and Genghis has been conquering them, there aren't that many around at present. I think I have allied 8 of the remaining 11 (thereabouts)?

I am playing continents. My continent has three, Venice (me), Casimir and Ashuburnipal. There are four civs (left) on the other continent. (Washington has been exterminated.)

Casimir was winning. He backstabbed me and we fought a prolonged war that ended when (thanks to some RAs) I got to Radar and took control of the skies. I think 8 bombers, about three with logisitics, all primed to fight cities.

I took Krakow by force and accepted peace we he offered me Lodz (size 25). That left Cas with Warsaw (34?) and two puppeted Assyrian cities. However, the Ash took advantage of me destroying Cas' army and took the puppeted cities back. Cas now has only Warsaw and Ash is making an ineffectual play for it.

I am tempted to go full warmonger. I have the strongest army in the world at present. The question is which continent to focus on.

My Continent:
Ash had previously taken a CS and has built Forbidden Palace (beat me by 1 turn!). So if take out all but one of Ash's cities I can gain FP and liberate a CS. Sounds good. I need to be careful of Ash's navy plundering trade routes, but I can build subs and he's on frigates, so subs scouting and providing line of sight to bombers should make that a massacre.

I am also tempted to eliminate Cas because his remaining city was the top of the "Cities we like to visit", making something like 40 tourism a turn. That would help a lot. Other option is to fight Ash, take one of the weaker Assyrian cities, gift it to Cas and avoid wiping Cas out? Leave both Ash and Cas toothless, but in the game?

That would make me a major warmonger (tempered by the CS freeing)? Does that matter?

The other continent:
The other option is to fight Genghis, who has a couple of CS and an American city - which I could Liberate.

Any tips on which strategy to pursue?

#1 Yes, even if you aren't Venice. And so liberating conquered city states is very good, you'll get two new votes (but the total needed to win will increase by one.)

#2 Nope, it's extremely rare for an AI on world leader to not for themselves. (Excluding brought back to like). Again, doesn't matter if you are playing Venice. It would affect diplomatic relations with neutral nations though.

The Venice specific tactic to Diplomatic victory is late in the game have your GMOV buy city states of civs that it would take more than 100 influence to become allies.
Each city state removed from the game via this tactic lowers the votes needed by 1. (By comparison becoming an ally after the world council becomes the UN gets you 2 vote)

If you have enough votes in the UN to stop proposals you wouldn't like and a strong military you can ignore what other civs think of you, especially if your target is following a false ideology. (Late game diplomacy is highly ideological driven)

Thanks for the advice - just won a diplomatic victory on turn 393. So it was a little slow, but only my second win on Emperor.

I wiped out both Assyria and Poland - Assyria took longer than expected because they'd stolen techs from Poland, I realised. So they immediately started upgrading units once I declared war.

I got the extra couple of votes by buying a Atlanta (size 1) from Genghis, then liberating it. Got me the last four votes I needed.....

with Venice's gold pots you can buy all city states and a huge army to keep the game fun by going to war and then when World Leader vote comes you vote for yourself, even if you don't win there should be extra votes added every time. You can have your spies as diplomats and then trade for votes from other civs. I did that in an opposite way once, voted for other civs in exchange for resources and gold - not a good thing but it was some extra stuff for me

Now there's a part of my game I'm not doing: trading for votes. Mental note.

Never thought about selling my world leader votes.... If you're nowhere near winning and the civ your voting for won't win either, why not cash in?

I've been known to vote strategically for host, throwing my votes to the third or fourth ranked civ with a friendly ideology rather than let my main competitor win the hosting rights (because they always propose things I hate...)

I'm not sure if you can only do that when they plant a diplomat in your capital. I will have to test it in my current game.

Top Bottom