What government is the best?

If you have no enemies nearby, Democracy is by far the best.

Good luck!

I always try to win by warmongering, so I usually choose Communism. That way, having units in my cities makes my citizens happy... :)

I had some wars very soon, so I went with commie too. Don't know why. I seem to remember that's the best one for war and big civs.

Usually I start off with Communism then switch to Democracy when I own 3/4 of the entire world. :p . The thing that frustrates me the most about Democracy though, is the Hawk Party. I find it extremely annoying when a supposably peaceful nation plants a unit in an irrigated tile near my city causing mass starvation to the metropolis of the people living in it. It's also annoying when you're not able to declare war running a democratic nation against a rival nation with a history of "sneak attack" tactics. :lol:

I find it extremely annoying when a supposably peaceful nation plants a unit in an irrigated tile near my city
A little bribery will get you the irrigated square back (assuming they didn't pillage while they were there). But under democracy you need to be ready for a couple extra sad faces from the bribed unit.

i never used comunist governement in my 12 years of playing. i simply dont think russia was a good example so i was never tempted to use it. but i recomend democracy over republic/despotism/monarchy although you find youself in the tricky position of not being able to start a war and keeping military units outside your cities makes people unhappy i usually set my taxes to 20% luxury and have market + bank that ends up making 40% luxuries wich... usually is enough to keep up some military units depending mostly on how many arrows you get in the city

i recomend republic if your playing with very few cities and they being close to each other bnecause the corruption is very small and the woman suffrage takes out the unhappy faces

i so thing 20% of my taxes are worth the stability and increased growth of the civ cus i usually end up making my cities grow quite fast with the micromanagement made in the direction of arrows+luxury

I was always Despotism for many years, now I go Democracy ASAP if I'm alone on a island etc.
Just wanted to check, does anyone EVER go Monarchy? I done it for testing but never seen any good in it. You get it early so you can grow cities but you lose building and warfare is harder due to lose of shields, it is like.. no extra money and less shields.. yes some squares gives more food... jippiiii ;)

i think monarchy is useless. takes.. about the same amount of research than it takes to get republic and republic works great. i never use monarchy only republic or democracy, even for war times i stay in democracy i just put luxury rate. the amount of trade i get from it i think is very well worth it.

I've always liked monarchy. I tend to jump to it as soon as it's discovered and then stick with it.

I've always liked monarchy. I tend to jump to it as soon as it's discovered and then stick with it.

is that in civ1 ? (or civdos whatever you wanna call it)

cus prety much everyone agrees that monarchy is "underpowered" in civ 1 compared to the other governments

Yes, it was. I just couldn't be bothered with the happiness issues that switching to Democracy caused.

communism is win, late game the bonus shields just cause mass pollution.. w00t

i usually rush pyra grab demo and tech up like a maniac then switch to commy and conquer the world

I loath how fragile Democracy in Civilization can be. A little trade offsets the less economic strength.

i definalty gotta try playing comunins as a lot of people take it as the best of the governments. but since i not skilled enough to play emperror mode maybe thats why i always stick with democracy

despotism is good until you build few buildings because you don't need to loose shields on units that protect city when you build aqueduct and colloseum you can change to republic

Just curious, why is democracy 'by far' better than republic? AFAIK it only eliminates corruption. Corruption was never a big issue in my games.

Just curious, why is democracy 'by far' better than republic? AFAIK it only eliminates corruption. Corruption was never a big issue in my games.

i dont know what dificulty do you play on but i usually play up to prince. now the 3 biggest differences between republic and democracy from my experience are this two.

1- democracy makes 2 unhappy citisens per unit away from home city while republic does 1 (with woman sufrage that makes zero unhappy on republic witch is very handy at war times)

2- democracy as no corruption. republic has no corruption on your capitol city (the one with the palace) and the % of trade lost to corruption is higher the fartherst the city is from the capitol

the third difference (although doesnt affect my gameplay at all but some others it might) is that when on democracy if a city is "unhappy" for (i think) 2 turns the government collapses while on republic that doesnt happen.

if your building a large empire with many cities you will end up with cities very far from the capitol and even with courthouse you will have a lot of waste to corruption and that means slower tech and less treasury.

in a siple way democracy is harder to mantain but if you can mantain it its by far better than republic.

i hope that explains the point of view of many players as i hope they agree with me

I like Monarchy, but when I get Communism a turn on it immediately
or, if I get Womens Sufragge wonder, I use to turn to Republic

Top Bottom