'Rising Tide' expansion announced!

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
'Rising Tide', described as the 'first expansion for Civilization: Beyond Earth', has been announced.

From the official announcement:
After the first wave of great colony ships departed Earth, the jubilation of humanity was short-lived. Those left behind fell into a violent struggle over the quickly-diminishing resources on their barren home world. From this tumultuous time, four new factions arose. These newcomers were grounded not in the idealism of their predecessors, but on opportunism, resilience, ruthlessness, and above all a commitment to their own survival.

Now, many decades after their first landfall on a new planet, the proud survivors of the first expeditions beyond Earth look up to see the skies darkened by a new breed of pioneers.

Beyond Earth extended the Civilization franchise from its historical setting into the possible futures of science fiction. Rising Tide extends Beyond Earth to new frontiers on the planet’s surface and beneath its seas, adding even more choices and diplomatic options as you continue to build “just one more turn” toward a new vision for the future of humanity.

FEATURES

• Colonize the Ocean: Build floating settlements and access natural resources hidden beneath the seas of the alien planet. Alien beasts with unique abilities inhabit the water and challenge the player in new ways. The ocean provides a fully replayable map, new gameplay mechanics and strategic possibilities for players to reign supreme on their new world.
  • Dynamic Leader Traits: Players and AI Leaders alike unlock new Traits through gameplay and activate different combinations to respond to the changing world. These dynamic sets of Traits also provide benefits and add to the new Diplomacy system, governed by the new Fear and Respect attributes.
  • New, Enhanced Diplomatic Options: Shape the diplomatic landscape by using political capital to upgrade your traits, change diplomatic relationships, and leverage the benefits of your allies’ traits.
  • New Sponsors: Four new factions have been added to the game including Al Falah, nomad explorers descended from wealthy and resilient Middle Eastern states that possess a rich cultural and commercial heritage.
  • New Artifact System: Collect and combine powerful relics to unlock new perks, unit upgrades, and buildings for your faction on the new world.
  • New Hybrid Units: Affinities are competing visions for the future of humanity. By investing in multiple Affinities, rather than specializing in just one, players can unlock special hybrid Affinity units and upgrades.
  • New Biomes: Two new world types have been added. Primordial worlds are rife in volcanic activity and the chaotic landscape of a world still forming. Frigid worlds have cooled in their great age, their surfaces covered with icy oceans and frozen tundra.

Gamespot article >>> http://www.gamespot.com/articles/colonize-the-ocean-in-civilization-beyond-earth-s-/1100-6427385/

PCGamer article >>> http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-beyond-earth-rising-tide-expansion-announced/

I remember a prerelease interview where Ed Beach hinted that ocean cities could be a thing, but refused to comment further on an expansion.
Interesting, but until I am satisfied with the state of the game I already bought I can easily contain my excitement.

THIS IS WHY I DIDN'T GET MOD OF THE WEEK!

(The caps are less angry and more eureka I've figured it out).

Also, I hope the dynamic leader traits are both unique to each leader as well as transparent to opponents. I really dislike how you can rarely tell what loadout options the AI has equipped and thus cannot alter your strategy to fit.

I remember a prerelease interview where Ed Beach hinted that ocean cities could be a thing, but refused to comment further on an expansion.
Interesting, but until I am satisfied with the state of the game I already bought I can easily contain my excitement.

I'm the same, I want this expansion pack, but I don't actually LIKE Beyond Earth.

I am really intrigued in the new diplomatic options and dynamic leader traits. Hopefully, we will hear more about them in today's live stream.

For once, I hope the new sponsors don't include Japan. That would imply a dystopian Honshu, among other things.

I've gone back and play SMAC and Alpha Centauri, and in many ways, it's still better than BE. I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I'm the same, I want this expansion pack, but I don't actually LIKE Beyond Earth.

The features of this expansion look so good on paper, but BE also looked better on paper than it turned out to be. Underwater resources sounds cool, but they might turn out as useful as geothermal. A fear and respect system in diplo sounds like a very good addition as long as the AI doesn't just discard it in it's decision roulette.
Who's the lead designer on this ? If it's Ed Beach I'll have more confidence given his sucess in fixing Civ 5.

This is incredible. I may be in the minority, but I actually like BE.

I'm also part of that minority. Hopefully this expansion will replicate the history of civ 5, where vanilla gets trashed, GnK is welcomed and BNW gets a thunderous applause.

Also the price for the expansion better not be the same as the initial price for vanilla when it was first released...:rolleyes:

The features of this expansion look so good on paper, but BE also looked better on paper than it turned out to be. Underwater resources sounds cool, but they might turn out as useful as geothermal. A fear and respect system in diplo sounds like a very good addition as long as the AI doesn't just discard it in it's decision roulette.
Who's the lead designer on this ? If it's Ed Beach I'll have more confidence given his sucess in fixing Civ 5.
It could be like the Pirates in SMAC Alpha Centauri.

Here's an interview on RockPaperShotgun with Will and David that I think is kind of illuminating. Reiterates a bit on what's already been said at GDC and other outlets and not much new information about the features.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ond-earth-expansion-release-date/#more-289267

Nice find. Thanks.

A few noteworthy bits:

-Completely new diplomacy system:
We’ve also completely replaced the diplomacy system from the original game with something new, which I think probably changes the game the most. I think that’s the most fundamental difference under the hood.

-Water cities:
You have a modest tech requirement, similar to Pioneering in Beyond Earth, which you had to research before you could build a Colonist

-Differences between land and sea cities:
There are some mechanical differences between terrestrial cities and water cities, terrestrial combat and water combat, and how growth works. We’ve really differentiated them without, I think, increasing the complexity too much.

This looks promising. I do like Beyond Earth but I know I'd like to wait for an expansion for things to be improved.

Rising Tides has the potential to give Beyond Earth a big boost.

looks good but $30 looks a bit expensive for anexpansion

also i wonder how this fits in the CivBE 2.0?

looks good but $30 looks a bit expensive for an expansion

I think $30 seems about right. Rising Tide appears to add a lot to BE vanilla, not just new sponsors and new map types, but a complete overhaul of major gameplay systems, including brand new diplomacy, new sea cities, etc...

also i wonder how this fits in the CivBE 2.0?

Rise Tide is 2.0 as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom