Diplomatic issues, please advice.

Volapyk

Warlord
Either I'm missing something or there seems to be some blatant holes in the diplomatic system when it comes to dealing with the AI.

First off it seems the rolling denounciation mechanic of good ol' vanilla civ 5 is back. Here is a rather annoying example of how I got f***ed up in one of my reason games:

Playing a nice and friendly game, trying out the culture game, everyone was pretty much friendly with each other, that is until I became the most hated villan of the world, how? Well I asked my good friend Portugal to stop spying on me, a few turns later our DoF pact ran out and she went from Friendly to Neutral refusing to sign a new pact, a few turns later she Denounced me (only negative modifier was the spying thing), the next turn every single friend I had then denounced me, ignoring any DoF pact we had, with the single (in most cases) negative modifier being 'A civ we like more than you has denounced you'.

So without doing anything 'wrong' to anyone, they decided I was the bad guy in this case even though I was the victim of a 'wrong'-doing.

Lesson learned? You want to be friendly with the AI ignore everything the AI do against you no matter how annoying they are.

Secondly is the lack of diplomatic demands you can make of the ai, and reactions to the AI's diplomatic actions. Here is another rather annoying example:

My 'good' friend Venice send a Great Prophet into my lands, I can accept that I can't ask them to stop converting your cities before they have actually converted at least 1 city. Very well, they converted one of my big cities, I demanded they stop, they agreed and moved their prophet out of my lands. So far so good, however a few turns later, ~8-10 turns or so, they pop up with now 2 great prophets, hoping they would just pass through my lands I let them enter (Didn't have the fleet to block every tile around my cities, nor the faith to buy Inqusitors), but of course Venice was mean and converted 1 city and moved towards a second.

There seemed to be no proper reaction to this obvious betrayal, I guess the intention of the game is that I denounce him, but since the AI always seem to like the other AI's better than a human player I knew from previous experience that this would cost me the friend ship of everyone else.

Suprisingly declaring war and leaving him with 1 small puppet city cost me less diplomaticly than denouncing him would have...

Am I missing some functions here or is the only way to stay friends with the AI to actually never bother them with anything ever? Also is there really no way to demand that they remove their units from your borders or declare war (just like the AI asks of you)?

Top Bottom