Does Terrain affect cultural borders and flipping?

greatmindsthink

Chieftain
Does Terrain affect cultural borders and flipping? For instance, if your city is surrounded by forest, is it less likely to flip, or have the borders of a foreign civilization encroach on its borders?

Yes it's true that a tile at equal distances between two cities will go to the city with the most amount of culture. However, if you setup a small city near a very large and high culture city and civilization, the city may flip. Does the borders of a large civilization get affected by terrain like mountains/volcanos/forests/jungle?

The reason that this is important is because I've recently created new cities around resources that are near a major civilization, and I worry about the city flipping, and want to know if I should get rid of the forests near the city or if this is helping. :scan::eek:

It has no effect. The only exception is ocean that cannot have culture. But for flipping only the 20 tiles around the city tile itself are relevant and on regular maps there will be no ocean there.

PS: If ocean is within the 20 tiles around the city tile, than those tiles can have culture. :crazyeye:

the only thing u can do is to build up some cultural improvements in thecity asap. maybe rush them

What is the reference to that in any help file? We all know that culture expands one ring at 10, 100, but does anything impede the expansion?

Ocean and different culture are relevant. If 2 towns compete for tiles, than the distance matters first and culture second. Naturally competing does only occur if both towns have enough culture to claim the tile in principle. So at distance 3 that is 100 culture, at distance 4 1000 culture, at distance 5 10000 culture and i suppose at distance 6 100000 would work, but that i have not seen so far.

Distance works in the same way as for corruption. Going 2 steps in the directions 1, 7, 9 or 3 counts as 2, going 2 steps in the directions 4, 8, 6 or 2 counts as 3.

Okay another question - when I successfully sabotage production of a rival civ's city, there are still shields that remain in the city, and I have to sabotage production several times in order for there to be no shields at all left in the city's production window. How can I take more shields when I sabotage production? Does having veteran spy experience increase the shields I take when I sabotage production, and can veteran and expert experience only come in Communism and Fascism, and not in feudalism?

as far as i know a succesfull sabotag mission results in the loss of all shields that are already insested in a build project. thats it.

and your spies gotn collect experience . the level of your spies is depending of the government typ u play. and as far as i knowthe level only affects the costs of the missions and i guess also the prohability of success

Well in feudalism that amount of shields after sabotaged is halved in a city - not all shields are taken away.

Another question. I have placed an invasion force in Carthage, because of the Right of Passage I have with Carthage is going to expire the next turn. Only the next turn comes and the agreement doesn't expire, and the turn after that it doesn't expire either. I have nuked and tanks on their land enough to wipe out all of their cities. I am waiting for the RoP to expire so that I can invade them without hurting my chances of signing RoP with other civs. I have renegotiate deals ON, and Carthage has always asked to renew RoP with me before, as do the other civs. What is the problem?

Secondly, I want to know if, after I make alliances with Korea, Japan and Egypt against Carthage, should I wipe Carthage completely out after violating the RoP that won't expire, or should I keep a city of Carthage around, so that I can continue to sign RoP with the other civs with whom I'm in alliance against Carthage? But, if I for instance invade Japan after invading Carthage, and violate my alliance with Japan against Carthage, will it be worse for me in terms of making it more difficult to sign other alliances in the future? I need to sign alliances before nuking the other civs, otherwise those other civs go to war against me.

Another question. I have placed an invasion force in Carthage, because of the Right of Passage I have with Carthage is going to expire the next turn. Only the next turn comes and the agreement doesn't expire, and the turn after that it doesn't expire either. I have nuked and tanks on their land enough to wipe out all of their cities. I am waiting for the RoP to expire so that I can invade them without hurting my chances of signing RoP with other civs. I have renegotiate deals ON, and Carthage has always asked to renew RoP with me before, as do the other civs. What is the problem?

Secondly, I want to know if, after I make alliances with Korea, Japan and Egypt against Carthage, should I wipe Carthage completely out after violating the RoP that won't expire, or should I keep a city of Carthage around, so that I can continue to sign RoP with the other civs with whom I'm in alliance against Carthage? But, if I for instance invade Japan after invading Carthage, and violate my alliance with Japan against Carthage, will it be worse for me in terms of making it more difficult to sign other alliances in the future? I need to sign alliances before nuking the other civs, otherwise those other civs go to war against me.
your reputation gets a hit even when you DOW when within someone else's borders.
You don't necessarily need to ROPe to get a rep hit.

I do not know why the situation is not re-negotiated. I guess the Carthagians want the deal to continue.

Top Bottom