Civ 5 Design Challenge II - Mechanics

GPuzzle

Available in wax cylinder!
ldvhl's got his Design Challenge which is "here's a Civ, design the mechanics of it", and I've been thinking about this one which is pretty much the other way around - "here's a mechanic, design a Civ around it". It seems like it will be very interesting.

Rules:

1 - You may add anything to the mechanic, and it may be used in an UA, UB, UU or UI.

2 - You must not vote for yourself.

3 - We don't need the more complicated stuff like Capitals or Leaders (unless they're absolutely vital). All we need are the mechanics, the Civ which you're using, and the name of the uniques - we're going very dry for this.

Winner's Hall!

Click the images to see the winning designs!

List of thanks:

ldvhl for starting the idea for Design Challenges!
tarcisiocm for making the awesome Winner's Hall pictures!
Everyone that participates and keeps this going and breathing!

I already made a civ based on one of those....
And don't you think the +4 production thing is a bit too specific?

That's the challenge, Natan!

"Always know where barbarians are" is literally the Honour opener.

Exactly.

Woot - looks like fun. I hope for the occasional ridiculous mechanic, sometimes its fun to have to create a hypercube. Either way I'm on board.

So, after the votes and a coin flip... The mechanic you have to use in your Civs...

Pastures generate Culture and claim tiles around them. You may use it in an UU, UB, UA, whatever, so long as you use it.

Huh? Thats easy.

UU: Rancher (Replaces Cavalry)
The rancher is slightly :c5strength: weaker than the cavalry it replaces, however may receive defensive bonuses when stationed on farms or ranches in friendly territory. Furthermore, the rancher may improve animal resources adjacent to your territory, granting :c5culture: culture and claiming all adjacent tiles when doing so.

I suppose it's time I give this a try (If people like it I may develop it further)

The Maasai

UA: "Meishoo Iyiook Enkai Inkishu" (May God give Us Cattle):
Pastures may be built in neutral or rival territory and claims surrounding tiles when completed. +1 Culture from Pastures.

UU: Moran:
Unique Maasai replacement for the Worker. Unlike the Worker which it replaces, the Moran ignores terrain costs and may freely enter rival territory.

UB: Enkang:
Replaces the Wall. The Enkang is much cheaper than the Wall and has no Tech Prerequisite, in addition to revealing all nearby Pasture resources on completion.

The Maasai have a history of stealing cattle from other neighbouring tribes, due to the traditional belief that cattle are a gift from god solely for the Maasai people. I've designed this civ so they can go around building pastures and stealing tiles, then retreat back to their cities, with cheap and early walls to help them defend from the expected mass of angry civs demanding their cattle back. The UA name is a part of a Maasai prayer (May God give us Cattle and Children).

I came up with an... American mix:

UA: Manifest Destiny
Civilian units receive +1 :c5moves: movement and +1 vision if ending their turn outside friendly territory, and may be consumed to relocate bison, cattle, horses or sheep from your territory to neutral territory, claiming adjacent tiles. Cities founded on those tiles gain :c5culture: culture and :c5strength: strength from each pasture in their territory.

UU: Rough Rider
Unlike the Landship, the Rough Rider requires horses rather then oil, and is unlocked at railroads. It has lower combat strength (40 :c5strength:), but gains +1XP per each worked pasture in your empire. During peace, it may be used to build pastures, granting a sum of :c5culture: culture equal to its experience upon completion.

UB: Ranch
Replaces stable. Instead of the pastures abilities, it claims, improves, and claims tiles around every bison, sheep, horse and cattle tile in the city's working range, and grants +1 :c5culture: culture from those resources. Increases settler and mounted unit production by 25%. Costs 2 :c5gold: maintenance.

Hope its not too complicated...

I came up with an... American mix:

UA: Manifest Destiny
Civilian units receive +1 :c5moves: movement and +1 vision if ending their turn outside friendly territory, and may be consumed to relocate bison, cattle, horses or sheep from your territory to neutral territory, claiming adjacent tiles. Cities founded on those tiles gain :c5culture: culture and :c5strength: strength from each pasture in their territory.

UU: Rough Rider
Unlike the Landship, the Rough Rider requires horses rather then oil, and is unlocked at railroads. It has lower combat strength (40 :c5strength:), but gains +1XP per each worked pasture in your empire. During peace, it may be used to build pastures, granting a sum of :c5culture: culture equal to its experience upon completion.

UB: Ranch
Replaces stable. Instead of the pastures abilities, it claims, improves, and claims tiles around every bison, sheep, horse and cattle tile in the city's working range, and grants +1 :c5culture: culture from those resources. Increases settler and mounted unit production by 25%. Costs 2 :c5gold: maintenance.

Hope its not too complicated...

Why do the Rough Riders replace Landships? Landships hadn't been invented yet some I would personally have them replace Cavalry.

Why do the Rough Riders replace Landships? Landships hadn't been invented yet some I would personally have them replace Cavalry.
Plus the Rough Rider would need to lose its mounted unit status and become an Infantry-style unit if it ever embarks to cross a body of water :)

That would be too much mechanics for one design, no? ;)

Well, making it replace the cavalry would actually reduce the number of mechanics since you wouldn't need to have 'uses horses instead of oil' so dunno whatchu mean.

Anyway, here's my effort:

The Republic of Texas
Leader: Sam Houston
UA: Victory of the Lone Star
During :c5goldenage: Golden Ages, tiles which yield at least 1 :c5culture: culture also grant +1 :c5food: food to all adjacent tiles and increase that city's :c5strength: defensive strength by 1. Whenever a new citizen is born in the :c5capital: Capital or you are attacked by another major civilisation, receive :c5goldenage: golden age points equal to the number of worked pastures in the empire.

UU: Rancher (Replaces Cavalry)
The Rancher, unlike the Cavalry it replaces, may construct pastures in friendly territory or adjacent to friendly territory, and claims all adjacent tiles when doing so. Additionally, the Rancher may receive :c5strength: defensive bonuses and generates :c5goldenage: golden age points from kills when adjacent to a pasture.

UU: Homestead (Replaces Windmill)
Pastures in cities with a windmill yield +1 :c5culture: culture and :c5production: production, though it does not provide any extra production towards buildings. Furthermore, during :c5goldenage: golden ages, the Homestead grants +2 :c5food: food.

It was actually a historical (but tongue-in-cheek) reference.

Lol I just realized what you had said. For anyone who doesn't get the reference, the Rough Riders didn't have horses in Cuba and so they had to fight like regular infantry.

Top Bottom