A few questions before I buy.

SG-17

Deity
I was thinking about getting Civ Rev for the PS3 since it is only $30 at Wal-Mart. However I have a few questions.

For those of you who loved Civ3, but did not like Civ4 that much (like me), how is Civ Rev? How does it feel compared to Civ3? I know that it is a faster paced game, but are there any settings to change the speed of the game?

I for one love long Civ games, I am still playing a game on Civ3C that I started almost two years ago.

Also is the DLC worth buying? I know they are all under $4 but is it worth a combined...$15 or so to buy it all?

Also, how is the online play? Civ3C had a pretty good online setup, but people would always drop out mid-game. How frequent is that with CivRev?

Also I have a regular 22" SDTV (480i), will this affect my ability to play the game completely? On other games the text is rediculously small, and coupled with the low res of my TV it can be nearly impossible to read.

Oh also, does the game have trophies for the PS3?
Thanks.

Sadly not many options available when setting up a game, like game speed and such.

I've not played civ3. :/

I think the DLC's with game content like wonders and relics, are worth it (but defo not essential). But the maps and scenarios one are pretty lame.

I've not played any civrev online games on my ps3. But i hear you'll find games, just not that many.

Don't really know as i'm playing on a 720p screen, but i heavily suspect you'll be fine.

And lastly, no trophies. LAZY!

If you love long Civ games, you will be disappointed with CivRev. It was designed to be a much faster game. I can easily play a single-player game in just a few hours.

And if you don't like Civ4 graphics, you probably won't care for these, either. They are very reminiscent of Civ4.

I don't have a PS3, nor do I play MP, so I can't answer those.

You screen may be sufficient. You might have to "lean in close" to read some things, though. I dunno.

And trophies were announced by Sony after the game was practically completed. Too late to be included, and too much work to put into a follow-on patch.

I haven't played civ IV, but I have played quite a bit of civ III and just picked up CivRev yesterday... meaning I've only played a CivRev game 3/4 through so far (at a MUCH lower level than I usually play in civ III so I could get a feel for the game). In my opinion the unofficial motto of civ III is "it's all about the workers" (maybe 100k comes as an exception to this). Hence, when some people played basically a worker-less game a while back (not completely) they went to Regent level and one player commented "I don't think I've ever played Regent level before." Anyways, you don't have workers or settlers developing tiles in CivRev (though certain techs give you extra production/growth)... you only have citizens working tiles and you buy roads. Units and improvements seem somewhat similarly, and there exists a cultural element. You can't choose your settings like map type, number of opponents, barbarian level, possible victories, etc. All in all, it does feel like a civ game, but kind of "civ lite" compared to civ III, imo.

Top Bottom