Barbarian Artifacts...

Heart Break Kid

Warlord
What is the benefit of them? In fact, what is the benefit of taking an artifact from a specific civ, is it more influence over them?

theming bonuses require you have certain types of great art/artifacts. Keep that in mind, there are BOTH great works of art and artifacts but they use the same symbol in the culture screen. Usually getting a theming bonus means works must either be of the same time period and same civ/type (art or artifact) OR the theming bonus requires the works be from different time periods/civs and may require a mix of art and artifacts. A good example is the louvre, one of the best theming bonuses available, you need 2 artifacts and 2 pieces of art. Each piece must be from a different civilization and a different time period.

I've dug up artifacts from my own civ; other major civs; and even city states, but so far never one that was labeled barbarian.

In the case of artifacts in particular, normal uses are:
1. As mentioned above 2 of the Louvre slots using the rules above.

2. Placing a pair of them that you own from the same era in the same Museum.

3. Placing a pair of them from the same era, neither of which are from your civ in the same Museum.

4. After some of the AIs also start digging them up: Trading it for another artifact to maximize your theming bonuses.

Hover over a +0 to see the requirement for max bonuses.

How do you know what the requirements are to get a theme bonus?

In the culture overview screen, you can hover over the "+0" or whatnot near the building that providers the theming bonus and it'll tell you what the requirements are.

Can you transplant artifacts and Great Works from one slot to another to create theming bonuses?

Yes, you can. You can also trade them to other civilizations as well.

I can't figure out how to swap between my slots. I got to the culture screen, but I can't see anything that allows swapping in my own GW :confused:

I can't figure out how to swap between my slots. I got to the culture screen, but I can't see anything that allows swapping in my own GW :confused:

Just click on a great work icon and then click where you want to place it :cool:
It's instantaneous, so you can even play with it, trying to find the best combinations ;)

Just click on a great work icon and then click where you want to place it :cool:
It's instantaneous, so you can even play with it, trying to find the best combinations ;)

I want to swap one of the works in the Great Library with the one in my Ampitheatre. I tried clicking on both, but all it seemed to do is highlight each when I clicked.

I've dug up artifacts from my own civ; other major civs; and even city states, but so far never one that was labeled barbarian.

They appear in the location of an old battle between a civ and a barbarian. When you dig it up, you can choose if you want it to be a barbarian artifact or an artifact of the civ that killed the barbarian.

I want to swap one of the works in the Great Library with the one in my Ampitheatre. I tried clicking on both, but all it seemed to do is highlight each when I clicked.

That's weird. Maybe a strange bug? Are you sure they didn't swap places and you just didn't notice it? ;)
Really, all you need to do is click on the first one, it will highlight. Then click on an empty slot or a second one. That's all, it moves/swaps immediately.

I never actually tried a direct swap, I've always moved things to empty slots, by getting it highlighted then clicking the empty slot.

I wonder if it is a bug, that you can't direct swap?

I never actually tried a direct swap, I've always moved things to empty slots, by getting it highlighted then clicking the empty slot.

Just a note - it may be a bug, but definitely not a general bug because I've done this A LOT and it ALWAYS worked for me.
I even remember a moment when I was swapping around all my great works "randomly" as much as I could do get rid of all the theming bonuses, because I was too close to a cultural victory but I didn't want it (yet) :)

It was swapping, but I thought it wasn't working because the GL theming bonus didn't change. I misunderstood the theming criteria; I need great writing from another civ and of two eras to qualify.

Top Bottom