Anyone else having this issue?

mbuna120

Chieftain
I am not a big warmonger, but I also do not enjoy entire games of peace. So before Bnw I would generally take out a neighbor civ then build some stuff then (maybe) take out a second civ and just remain passive and win from there. (I have, and continue to, play on emperor or immortal difficulties with standard speed and size and random settings on shuffle/random maps)

I'm having trouble with early rushes and subsequent aggression and I'm not seeing anyone else reporting an issue with what I dislike...city distance. It seems to me that civs are farther from me at the start of the game than they were before the expansion. So if I do take a city early I'm suffering economic instability as I take it over due to my time spent building units vs infrastructure COMPOUNDED by the fact that the odds are I'm planning to kill my nearest neighbor meaning I can't be sending him trade caravans to float a surplus of money. Meanwhile I find that I need most of my available units and leaving just one unit behind on barb patrol doesn't seem to cut it for preventing pillaging.

So that part is troublesome but where I feel it snowballs is...not only was my first targe quite far away...now the second target is an even greater distance. By the time my units make it to the next victim they're damn near obselete! Plus if I get attacked on the backside I typically can't rush-buy much due to low cash flow and my units are far too far away to return home and help so...again with the pillaging.

Any ideas on what I might change about my openings? As a final question...I notice that once I get to around turn 200 I'm generally first in most areas or at least highly competitive. Typically this is when I quit most of my games. I find myself being bored with the options of build, build, or build at that point for the next 100 turns. (I do find that ocean maps are easier to run domination on since cities can be sailed to rather quickly.) I feel like I must be missing something that makes the Middle Ages a bit more lively...or perhaps I just burn out from micromanaging cities by that point idk.

I love civ and I love the expansion. This is not a complaint thread. I am just looking for ideas on how to improve these areas in my games to increase my own enjoyment. All the new stuff is pretty cool with the minor rub being that I feel like initial build order at the start of games is even more cramped now with the introduction of caravans.

Not really noticed a change on close or far civs for me. It still seems random to me. If you feel less crowded add more civs. It makes a crazy game, I am playing 22 civs 22 CS Huge Map right now. The land race went so fast on my small continent. Rome has 4 cities, Hawaii 3 and Korea 6, 3 on small 1-2 island off their side of the map. And I have 1!! Surrounded by Mountians, with a 1 tile trail off to the north and east.

The bright side is i am playing as Venice, and I will have enough trade!!

I always used to enjoy isolationist games the most, where I'd only have limited contact with 2-3 civs until late renaissance, but with BNW I've found this style of game to be difficult-impossible, depending on your Civ and your resources.

Yeah there are times where I don't even have a cs or civ within trading distance of my Capitol. I'm forced to hard build a settler quite often...I also seem to have an inordinate amount of starting locations that are super heavy on one resource type to the point of me being unable to unload additional ones til at least the discovery of caravels. And as I tend to enjoy the early part of the game the most, I generate a LOT of random maps and starts so I've seen it plenty of times :p

Top Bottom