The City States of Greece

Just wondering :p

Edit: Chatango?

I join.

To paraphrase the Kaiser Chiefs, I Predict An Armed Revolution.

Anyway, from here on out my family shall be known as House Demandros.

My family will be... House Aristandros

yes, anyways, dot, are you continuing with the game today until we get that second citizen? I mean there is nothing else to do really :p
I'll try to update tonight, but during the week it really just depends on my homework load and my plans. Like on Thursdays, and Saturdays probably not. But on Fridays and Sundays I usually will. The other days it just depends.

My thoughts exactly :p

Also, a question :p If a player owned a tile, could they then deny the city to work that tile?

Depends upon the city-state. Technically they can anywhere (but it will probably turn out like that time in GaP)

My house shall be the House of Mercatus :p

Edit: Change that Mercatus to Plousios :p

Just wondering, does our houses start as noble houses, or do we have to make that happen? :p

Also, when I'm born (Should happen soon, I'm 2nd in line :p) I'd like to get well... Any job, I'm fine with pretty much everything :p

I missed this at fist. When you start you are considered Plebians. You are made nobles by holding government positions.

Oh, and welcome Smigkitten and Christos :)

I would like to propose to the government to create a more << Democratic system >>.

see Christos, you cant say I was the most undemocratic now in regards to my constitution in GaP. At least when I created a constitution there it went through the motions of consensus :p and to boot the result was actually more democratic than that athenian constitution of Tambiens! Let it be proclaimed, Tambien is more autocratic than I!

(of course I assasinated the King, slandered the other opponent and framed him for regicide and everyone else who was relevant at the time was my ally, so the result was guaranteed, but still I went through the motions ;))

My idea:

Are there separate branches of government?
Yes

Is religion a part of government?
No

Who has the power to decide:
What to build in the city: The Prinkipas. He is elected by the people every 30 turns.
What to research: Tech minister.
What social policy to choose: Minister of Domestic Affairs.

How will the things mentioned above be decided?
Each Minister advises the Prinkipas and submits the final decision.

What is the Vouli?
The Vouli will be a council elected by the people every 15 turns. A law to become official must be passed by the Vouli

How do you amend the Syntagma?
If 2/3 of the Vouli agree.

-

Military

Who controls the units? Is there a general for each unit, for each group?
Generals will be leaders of the army. They will be appointed after tests

Who has the power to declare war? To order an attack?
A war must be passed by the Vouli.

Who has the power to make peace?
The Vouli

What is the military's hierarchy?
Commander
Generals

-

Diplomacy

Who has the power to make agreements with foreign leaders?
The foreign minister, but every decision he makes must be passed by the Vouli.

Who will travel to other civilizations or receive foreign leaders?
Diplomats

-

Policies

Who has the power to make domestic policies (which involve migration, crime, value promotion)?
The Minister of Domestic Affairs.

Who has the power to develop foreign policies?
The foreign minister, but every decision he makes must be passed by the Vouli.

-

Offices

What are all the possible positions in government? What power do they have (what do they do?)
Prinkipas: Prime minister. Elected every 30 turns.
Tech minister: Advises Prinkipas on technology, makes final selection.
Minister of Domestic Affairs: Advises Prinkipas on social policies, makes final selection
Vouli: Elected every 15 turns. Every law and decision must be passed by the Vouli.

Other Offices

Diplomat: Visits other nation.
General: They will be appointed after tests
Commander: Leader of the army
Foreign minister: Well, he is foreign minister.
-

Land

All land is free to be owned by anyone.

Taxes

Taxes are income tax as a percentage of a person’s income. They are

Security Tax: 10% goes to paying the military, excess goes into city coffer (cannot be used for personal use) under the control of the Prinkipas.
Public Improvement Tax: 5% goes to paying for improvement, goes into city coffer (cannot be used for personal use) under the control of the Vouli

No one is exempt from taxes.

Law and Justice

Who has the power to make laws?
Vouli

Who has the power to reform laws?
Vouli

How are laws made?
Lawsmust be passed by Vouli

Who can punish criminals? How?
Juries

Who is enforcing the laws?
Juries

unworkable until a later stage in the game due to a lack of individuals of import residing in Athens. I would say that the current constitution should stand, and indeed the current constitution is sufficient in every possible way in regards to the benevolent and effective administration of the Polis of Athens. That said perhaps at a later time it, or a similar constitution which corrects some problems in your one (land law in particular) could be implemented in some city state somewhere.

On another note your vouli more properly in classical attic greek (as distinct from the modern greek you know) is Boule. Indeed there was a council of that name in classical Athens.

Also would you mind spoilering the whole thing. Its sort of a wall of text...

Indeed, it is the view of house Demandros that the constitution as laid out by the Prinkipas is wise and just. However for those that do not agree they may petition the Prinkipas to allow them to gather a settling party and found a polis based on their own ideals, which has the added bonus of removing potential troublemakers from the harmony of Athenian society.

I'll join as a minor observer until I finish my thesis (hopefully half March) and then I will start playing in all earnest and will I crush you all :D

correction: You will try to crush us all :p

Potatoes, potatoes...

Hmm doesn't work on the internet...

Honor, honour, it's al the same :p

Christos, go back to RPIV if you want democracy :p

Well if he gains control of his own city state some time in the future he can implement his democratic fancies as he wishes.

Of course his democratic fancies are at present deeply flawed and likely to lead to that particular city state falling into anarchy (a national greek pastime in the present day :p) but thats irrelevant to the point which is this game does in fact give him the opportunity to produce his democracy should he join a settling party and become leader of a new city.

Top Bottom