Korea and Ancient Wonders DLC Video!

Well lets look at what we already have:
DLC's

Coastal Bias: England, Denmark, Polynesia, Ottomans Korea?

And what time will this be out?

The Ottoman empire isn't DLC...

First Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56m47UPCV1A&feature=player_embedded#at=71) Highlights

Temple of Artemis:
- Culture +1
- GP Engineer +1
- +10% Growth all cities
- +15% Production building ranged units (unclear if in that city or all cities)

Mausoleum of Halicarnassus:
- Culture +1
- GP Merchant +1
- +100 Gold each time a great person is expended
- Each source of marble or stone worked by this city provides +2 Gold

Statue of Zeus:
- Culture +1
- +15% combat strength when attacking cities

Are these wonders only for the scenario or part of the game too?

This is exactly how I feel about all this. I'll spend less than 10 bucks on two DLCs. Now, just these two alone I'll probably spend half the weekend with, and if I actually like the civ, there's no telling how many hours I'll get out of it. Very little money well spent it seems to me.

Now then, the NFL Texans play a preseason game this weekend, and I'll spend more than ten bucks on beer and food just to watch the game in my apartment, and then it's over with. And I'll probably be pissed off about it to boot.

Based on that, I'd say that Civ V is more of a bargain than the NFL. Most especially if you're a Texans fan. :lol:

heheh...in another thread recently I compared the cost of civ DLC with going to Six Flags. playing civ is about 100x cheaper than riding roller coasters when you look at cost per hour (with my 700 hrs played and all DLC).

you have to remember the cost of a video game (about $50) hasn't changed in forever. The cost of everything else has gone up a lot in that time. So if the company needs to use DLC to stay financially competitive, and all it costs me is about $7 every couple months, I'm pretty ok with that. That is, assuming the quality stays high.

Shouldn't the DLC be up by now? It's 11:41 PM on the 11th of August here in Korea....or is it meant to come out on the 12th?

Shouldn't the DLC be up by now? It's 11:41 PM on the 11th of August here in Korea....or is it meant to come out on the 12th?

I guess it should come when Steam does it's daily refresh, which is about 3 hours from now.

All the news updates I've read have said it would be 11th of August. Firaxis appear to be going to by some US time zone (probably Eastern). Considering that they had a contest to decide the Korean civ leader among Koreans, I do find it odd that they didn't release it on Korean time.

Steam is installing some kind of update on Civ V, but after the update bar is done, the game isn't launching. I keep getting "incomplete installation" when I try to launch the game. Is anyone else having this problem right now?

Update: Yay it's working! I notice the "Play CivWorld now!" banner is gone, though there isn't a new banner in its place...yet.

You can't think about it like that... yeah you are playing the game several hours a week if not more.... but these numbers add up. Do you really want 150+ dollars invested in a single game? Obviously Firaxis isn't going to care if there is a buyer out there in this market.

I have $150+ wrapped up in Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft, Magic: The Gathering, League of Legends...

None of those count expansion packs.

My problem here isn't the DLC generally. I've been a big supporter of both the game and the DLC civ approach. But there's a huge difference between selling civs and selling wonders. Civs - unless they're horrifically unbalanced, which frankly none of the DLC ones have been (they pretty much fall right along the normal balance lines of the game, from a little weak to very strong, but none are gamebreakingly strong), they don't DETRACT from the game, they might not make the game better (if you don't like the civ) but at least if you don't like them you just choose another civ and they just add a little variety to the AIs you play against. They also don't cause divergent balance paths. You're balancing the same core game regardless of what DLC civs a player has available.

With Wonders - they can screw up the game for all of your civs by encouraging you to do unfun build orders and such. Is the game going to be better with three wonders straight up added to the early game, without adjusting the tech tree accordingly? I HIGHLY doubt it... They also force them to balance the game twice; once for players with access to the wonders, once for players without. I suspect they'll simply drop balancing the base game.

If this is the only thing they ever do along these lines, then fine. But does anyone think it will be?

All the news updates I've read have said it would be 11th of August. Firaxis appear to be going to by some US time zone (probably Eastern). Considering that they had a contest to decide the Korean civ leader among Koreans, I do find it odd that they didn't release it on Korean time.

Really? The Firaxis people live in the US. If they wanted to release it in the middle of the night, they'd need to page the janitor to let them into the building first. ;)

...wait....
Really ^^?
German east coast and west coast have the same time zone, so i was not speaking about my time zone here ;).

Me and Ghostz both live on the East Coast of the USA.
I am pretty sure it ties with Europe for most civ players.
I also heard the new patch was out.
Greg said he "wasn't sure" of the release date when it came out hours after his post.
Before the DLC too, making him wrong twice in a row.
What else is Firaxis hiding from us? :lol::lol:

If you saw a picture someone put up it showed a Korean Ad for it and it said the 12th, so I guess it is being released the 12th for Korea. The American teaser for it said the 11th and I live in Massachusetts and it is 11:00 AM and nothing is up yet

I have $150+ wrapped up in Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft, Magic: The Gathering, League of Legends...

With Wonders - they can screw up the game for all of your civs by encouraging you to do unfun build orders and such. Is the game going to be better with three wonders straight up added to the early game, without adjusting the tech tree accordingly? I HIGHLY doubt it... They also force them to balance the game twice; once for players with access to the wonders, once for players without. I suspect they'll simply drop balancing the base game.

I wonder if they originally intended to release a DLC civ from that pack (Sumeria?), with those wonders added to the main game in the patch. That seemed to be how they worked things in previous efforts, and it's probably what's bothering so many people now.

Really? The Firaxis people live in the US. If they wanted to release it in the middle of the night, they'd need to page the janitor to let them into the building first. ;)

Surely they could automate it, or have one brave soul stay during the night to hit the big red button at the appropriate time? :)

****, I knew Sumer was going to be played by Harun, just like the Polynesian civs. Guess they wanted to be consistent with the other civs, since Egypt and Greece already have their art work for leaders. Who is playing the Hittites?

Top Bottom