Caveman 2 Cosmos

Well I tried a few things to get it to work. First I deleted the C2C mod folder, downloaded it again from the first page link and extracted it to the same location. I also did a verify test on the compression and it reported no errors.

Ran the game on a duel pangea map (for quick loading and to limit the memory used to rule out that issue) and when I met my neighbor there was no diplomacy text, and the animation on the leaderhead did not animate, it was just still like it was frozen (usually they sway their heads around after the greeting gesture).

So then I went and cleared my cache directory at ..."Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache\"

Ran the game on duel pangea, same result, no diplomacy text or animation.

Then tried one last thing in loading BTS plain, lowered all graphics to lowest setting, reran C2c

Same result.

So unless there is an alternative download site that I don't know about (got mine from Atomic Gamer) then I won't be able to play this mod til this is fixed. I'll try getting RoM and/or AND and seeing if I also have problems with those mods. If those work then there there is something screwy between my machine and this mod.

A shame too as I was really enjoying it, getting used to all the new buildings and features.

If you want animated and diplo to work, you need to MOVE from the modules folder the Static folder and put it in the unload modules area.

500 turns in, all OK here

No major issues so far on a Gigantic ROM_terra maps, Monarch, Marathon. I have tweaked a few XML files more for personal taste not bugs. Minor Civs are forming from the the isolated Barbarian cities. This version is MUCH better balanced than version 5. The AI Civs are keeping close to me, despite all my cheating! Nice.

I did notice that Agriculture no longer reduces the effectiveness of the seed farms, was that intentional? I was prepared with my legions of Workers to furiously recover my food supplies, and was surprised when every city just kept humming along after I discovered Ag.

I have noticed a lot less wild animals, but I put this down to the better AI growth, leading to less natural terrain and more AI subdued animals. I've encountered lots of AI Hunters, but no AI hawks. It would be nice if the Hunter had a combat bonus against all animal units, not just wild animals. I have a scene where my hunter is approaching an easy kill wild animal, but the AI subdues it first, and suddenly my Hunter's attack loses all bonuses.

I did notice that Agriculture no longer reduces the effectiveness of the seed farms, was that intentional? I was prepared with my legions of Workers to furiously recover my food supplies, and was surprised when every city just kept humming along after I discovered Ag.

I believe the seed farm change was intentional, otherwise your cities lose food output upon discovery of Agriculture (which obviously makes no sense).

No major issues so far on a Gigantic ROM_terra maps, Monarch, Marathon.

I have noticed a lot less wild animals, but I put this down to the better AI growth, leading to less natural terrain and more AI subdued animals. I've encountered lots of AI Hunters, but no AI hawks. It would be nice if the Hunter had a combat bonus against all animal units, not just wild animals. I have a scene where my hunter is approaching an easy kill wild animal, but the AI subdues it first, and suddenly my Hunter's attack loses all bonuses.

I believe the seed farm change was intentional, otherwise your cities lose food output upon discovery of Agriculture (which obviously makes no sense).

Those two are left to the great Dancing Hoskuld to work with, you'd have to talk to him in the discussion area.

Those two are left to the great Dancing Hoskuld to work with, you'd have to talk to him in the discussion area.

I have done two things to improve how the improvements from Stone Age work with latter improvements. The first was in the XML and means that the old improvements no longer go obsolete. So seed camps continue to provide their benefit. I also got the wood gatherer to work properly. I also added in a scavenger camp (Bison, Deer and Ivory) and a nomadic herder for the other animals.

The second was to write some python to automatically upgrade each Stone Age improvement when the correct tech is discovered. There is code in the dll to upgrade mines and cottages starting at the correct tech but it is not generalised for any improvement so I could not use it.

The main problem, in my view, with what I have given StrategyOnly to include in the next release, is that because you get the worker unit before the upgrade tech you it can still build the old improvements at the cost of the unit.

I have to test if obsoleting the improvement breaks my python. This is a step in the right direction, but I also wondering if we need improvements that reflect the change from nomadic to sedentary lifestyle.

Edit: if you want to try this out attached is an update file. Note it is not save game compatible. It includes everything for improvements and their upgrades plus one BUG bug fix. The bug fix fixes the goody hut error message.

As per usual backup before you install.

I have done two things to improve how the improvements from Stone Age work with latter improvements. The first was in the XML and means that the old improvements no longer go obsolete. So seed camps continue to provide their benefit. I also got the wood gatherer to work properly. I also added in a scavenger camp (Bison, Deer and Ivory) and a nomadic herder for the other animals.

The second was to write some python to automatically upgrade each Stone Age improvement when the correct tech is discovered. There is code in the dll to upgrade mines and cottages starting at the correct tech but it is not generalised for any improvement so I could not use it.

The main problem, in my view, with what I have given StrategyOnly to include in the next release, is that because you get the worker unit before the upgrade tech you it can still build the old improvements at the cost of the unit.

I have to test if obsoleting the improvement breaks my python. This is a step in the right direction, but I also wondering if we need improvements that reflect the change from nomadic to sedentary lifestyle.

Edit: if you want to try this out attached is an update file. Note it is not save game compatible. It includes everything for improvements and their upgrades plus one BUG bug fix. The bug fix fixes the goody hut error message.

As per usual backup before you install.

Thx, i think i figured out that HelpStringText error messages "we" have been getting to SOME degree, it has to do with the CIV4GameText . . . being in the TXT area Twice or even more., i was getting an error over the gatherer before, and found out that there was 2 TXT/Pedia and Strategy info's in two different locations, i got rid of one and now no error at least for now.

Thx again.;)

So...when is the next "Patch" available?

And I Do mean a Patch versus trying to D/L a 1.1GB file again. ;)

JosEPh :)

Well see thats a main problem cause Dancing H found a bug in BUG and it is not save game compatible.:(

But i do expect a newer release of the WHOLE mod, around 19 or so Jan 11.

To everyone:

Dont be to concerned about the way the tech tree is going to look, "we" are re-working it.

Part of the problem with providing a update/patch rather than a full download is that some files need to be deleted or moved not just overwritten which is what a patch/update does. It may be possible to post the changes with instructions, we will have to see.

Part of the problem with providing a update/patch rather than a full download is that some files need to be deleted or moved not just overwritten which is what a patch/update does. It may be possible to post the changes with instructions, we will have to see.

It would make it So much easier for me. My Sat. DSL is slow and limited in number of GB usage per month.

@Strategy, save game compatibility is Not an issue for me. As stated above monthly GB usage and D/L speeds are. They don't offer Broadband out in the cornfields of western Illinois. :(

Test ... Test... Testing .1, 2, 3, ... If this had been an actual Emergency, ack never-mind, jj :)joke:) (Just Joking)

But seriously if anyone wants to TEST out the NEW Animal Placement modcomp your welcome to:). But Please use the discussion/idea thread (listed in my signature) for any thing that is wrong or needs changing.

http://www.filefront.com/17769472/AnimalPlacing.7z/

The above post is directly from the author, and pls dont write him directly, thx.

btw, the two files (animalPlacing folder is in the modules StrategyOnly folder area), and the python animalplacing is also in the (python StrategyOnly folder)

Struggling with this mod....which to be honest is probably because my laptop is getting a bit old.

I'm running XP, have activated the \3GB switch, have increased my paging file allowance to at least 5GB.

Initially I used to be able to run a tiny map with very few issues through-out a game (running on standard ROM build), however recently while trying to run this mod my laptop has started to massively slow down, in fact it even grinds to a halt showing the CPU usage to be 100%....even a reboot or starting a new game doesn't seem to clear the fault.

Clearly there are a lot of factors that could be causing this (not including a large mod), but just wondered if there any other tips for squeezing performance out of a laptop running XP, perhaps any caches that I could clear.

Oh, I've also tried running it in windowed mode....which initially appear to have helped on my new tiny map....unless it was the paging file change that did it (which is the last thing i changed on my last reboot)

Struggling with this mod....which to be honest is probably because my laptop is getting a bit old.

I'm running XP, have activated the \3GB switch, have increased my paging file allowance to at least 5GB.

Initially I used to be able to run a tiny map with very few issues through-out a game (running on standard ROM build), however recently while trying to run this mod my laptop has started to massively slow down, in fact it even grinds to a halt showing the CPU usage to be 100%....even a reboot or starting a new game doesn't seem to clear the fault.

Clearly there are a lot of factors that could be causing this (not including a large mod), but just wondered if there any other tips for squeezing performance out of a laptop running XP, perhaps any caches that I could clear.

Oh, I've also tried running it in windowed mode....which initially appear to have helped on my new tiny map....unless it was the paging file change that did it (which is the last thing i changed on my last reboot)

All i can really recommend from using a laptop is "Good Luck.":p Especially if its anything below Windows 7. Just make sure you meet or EXCEED the requirements of the mod, listed here at the bottom of the page:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7175018&postcount=7

This is the BIGGEST mod in Civ 4.

Test ... Test... Testing .1, 2, 3, ... If this had been an actual Emergency, ack never-mind, jj :)joke:) (Just Joking)

But seriously if anyone wants to TEST out the NEW Animal Placement modcomp your welcome to:). But Please use the discussion/idea thread (listed in my signature) for any thing that is wrong or needs changing.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=1361339

The above post is directly from the author, and pls dont write him directly, thx.

btw, the two files (animalPlacing folder is in the modules StrategyOnly folder area), and the python animalplacing is also in the (python StrategyOnly folder)

That is not a valid link. Or at least I get a message saying I should not be going there as it is a link to a private area.

I am still using XP, but on a desktop. You could try removing the GiantSquid folder from Modules\DancingHoskuld\SubdueAnimals\Xtra_Animals and the Salt_Water_Crocodile from the GraphicallyChallengedUnits folder. The game engine seems to spawn these in great numbers. The first adds nothing to the game.

Mind you with all the new techs coming out I am going to suggest that a large part of the subdued animals be removed since it becomes obsolete at turn 300 on snail or turn 25ish on normal no matter what tech you have.

It's the graphics card that the issue I think, I've got a powerful enough CPU, enough HDD space, other settings are okay....even if I have to run at minimum....although my units are still animated, which is odd given that I turned that off in my Civ 4 settings.

What I can't figure out is why C2C remains slow even after a reboot and a new game (even though earlier today it ran fine till about turn 1000ish on an eternal game, now I'm lucky to get to 70 and yet I've done nothing more that play for the afternoon)....it's almost like civ4 is referring to a cached store....?

It's the graphics card that the issue I think, I've got a powerful enough CPU, enough HDD space, other settings are okay....even if I have to run at minimum....although my units are still animated, which is odd given that I turned that off in my Civ 4 settings.

What I can't figure out is why C2C remains slow even after a reboot and a new game (even though earlier today it ran fine till about turn 1000ish on an eternal game, now I'm lucky to get to 70 and yet I've done nothing more that play for the afternoon)....it's almost like civ4 is referring to a cached store....?

It does have a cache, and I have found that deleting it after a crash helps. Doing so does slow down the initial mod load time.

Top Bottom