What map settings do you guys use?

In both map types, the CSs are (for the most part) relegated to off-shore islands, leaving the main continent(s) wide open for player and AI expansion, and you probably need triremes to meet all of the CSs on your starting continent. The maps are interesting as a change of pace, as are the other Explorer Pack maps (e.g., Sandstorm, Donut, Bering Strait, Japanese Mainland, etc.).

In both map types, the CSs are (for the most part) relegated to off-shore islands, leaving the main continent(s) wide open for player and AI expansion, and you probably need triremes to meet all of the CSs on your starting continent. The maps are interesting as a change of pace, as are the other Explorer Pack maps (e.g., Sandstorm, Donut, Bering Strait, Japanese Mainland, etc.).

I basically want continents, but want it where there are more continents (greater than 2) OR where besides the continents, there are usable islands.
Something earth-like.

The standard continent map just has two continents, nothing else.
The terra map puts everybody on the same continent.

My ideal map would have:
-More than 2 continents
-Usable islands
- 2-3 Civs per continent....NOT all CIVS on the same continent.

Which regular non-MOD map suits me best?

Terra, Standard, Raging Barbs. Must be my PC, but anything larger just gives me endless glitches, mostly Catapaults and Trebs crashing the game! Testy with Civ VI on the horizon, but there you go......

Map: HUGE, Continents about 50%, Fractals with low sea level the other 50%.

Speed: Epic. I like longer era's to fight in, but Marathon was a little too much "next turn" for me.

Civs: 12 (but thinking of upping that)

CS: 24 My excuse for this is the 2:1 is what the game is balanced around. For me though, I've found in many play throughs getting friendly with some militaristic CS's has helped build my army up while I focused on other items in my cities. Downside is, that one of my first victory types tends to always been diplomatic. But I love using my CS's as proxies to fight battles on the other continents for me. I've also used them to capture the last city of civilizations to avoid the warmonger penalty. Just sit my bombers and artillery and keep the defense down while the nearest CS is there to take them out. I only wish you could coordinate more with them. Like an option to say "let's attack x city together". Though, usually by the end of the game all CS's are allied with me so I've always got someone to fight for me. Downside, this can be pricey. Especially like last night with Hiwatha kept conducting coups in my CS's. I mean, I swear he had to have 10 spies as it seemed about every 3rd turn one or two had a coup. Luckily with 850GPT it wasn't hard to get them back on the same turn, just annoying.

I don't balance strategic resources. I find that it adds some good fun to find out at the end of the game that you have jack for aluminum and oil, and have to get real cozy with CS's. The game I finished last night was that way. My typical play style is a mid-late military push (usually reactionary with to friends wars, sometimes proded by me). I usually don't go conquesting until I have cannons and on my way to artillery. So last night, got to that point and realized I needed to finished my military push soon because I had exactly 7 AL in all my territory, and 8 oil. Luckily I had gone up Patronage and befriended more CS's to get those resources.

I find that Huge continents forces me to a more balanced technology advancement and city improvement build schedule. I can't ignore my neighbors. Though I do admit, sometimes I do take advantage of the poor combat AI and will intentionally appear weak to provoke some fights. On Fractals, you can end up being able to ignore that sometimes based on the placement.

Standard continents, the only thing I hate about this is that sometimes you start ten hexes from another guy or one of the continents is lopsided.

And SANDSTORM, which I play quite a bit lately, sandstorm is a lot of fun and a god change of pace, theres food eeeeevvverywhere because of the flood plains.

And I occasionally play british isles.

standard size continents/pangaea, standard size, default settings. The plus maps are ok but not groundbreaking. should probably try archipelago sometime. also, I like setting the world age to young so there's apparently more mountains

For myself, standard map size, Large Islands, legendary resources, 8 civs (standard), and 8 city states (cut from the default 2:1 ratio to 1:1 ratio), on Immortal level.

Whats that?

Try large islands, one of my favorite maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just played with standard, small continents. I liked it a lot.

What are the differences between sm continents and large Islands?

I like to play Tall and Wall.

Also, what size map do you all use/recommend?
I have always done standard but wondered how much harder a bigger map would be.

The problem with map types is that it hugely affects difficulty. The game feels like if it was meant to be played on continents an it's usually my choice. Pangea is better for domination and the smaller continent->island you choose, the easier it will be to win any other type of victory. The more water there is, the less capable AI becomes.

Plus maps are interesting, especially small continents plus. This script makes it possible to reach all places without astronomy and maps look like "continents" from Civ:BE. Pangea+ and continents+ are not that great because some civs end up right next to city states and some may never reach them before astronomy.

Rover, there's an advanced setting that for most map scripts lets you change resource settings.

Legendary adds some bonus resources near everybody's capital.

Strategic adds horses & iron near everybody's capital (along with some other resources)

Abundant results in each strategic resource hex on the entire map having 50% more than normal. (Instead of 2 / 4 / 6 Iron these are 3 / 6 / 9 Iron)

Sparse results in each strategic resource hex on the entire map having 50% less than normal.
(Instead of 2 / 4 /6 Iron there are 1 / 2 /3 Iron)

Nobody mentioned it, I found this on my own, small continents plus.
Any of you tried this?

I love it, this resembles earth the most, you get enough space to settle and a good variety of Islands.

I like it the best.

I basically want continents, but want it where there are more continents (greater than 2) OR where besides the continents, there are usable islands.

I think that describes Continents Plus. Most times there are just two big ones, but sometimes its three. There are almost always useable islands, but usually with one or more CS. Browd characterizes it as an interesting change of pace, but I use it most of the time and have not gotten bored with it yet.

Nobody mentioned it, I found this on my own, small continents plus.

I hear good things about it, but SCP is not part of gold nor complete. It is part of the scrambled nations pack, and so extra DLC that you have to specifically pay for. Kind of a pain really because, as with using a mod, it means you will not be able to share your saves with most people.

I didn't realize there were more generic scripts included in either of the two scrambled map packs.

Perhaps if they ran an 85% off eight hour steam sell I'd be interested in getting it to try SCP.

I just pulled up the Gamespot article though, SCP appears to be in the more logical Scrambled Continents and not Scrambled Nations
Also includes with the Scrambled Continents map pack are new scripted maps for Small Continents, Oceania, and a map with all the continents on Earth.

Scrambled Nations down have a Scrambled Japan though.

I try lots of different map settings because I want to be versatile. But when I go Deity I prefer to reuse a map setting and civ I already won with before.

I like Tiny islands maps with a sea-faring civ a lot.

Tilted Axis I think might be the most underrated map yet. Tons of snow & ice that never gets settled, but it has resources, archaeological sites, and non-stop barbarians.

I didn't realize there were more generic scripts included in either of the two scrambled map packs.

Oops, I did not realize that there were two scramble map packs!

Perhaps if they ran an 85% off eight hour steam sell I'd be interested in getting it to try SCP.

That is what it would take for me. SCP is the only thing that I know I am interested in. And why there should be two scrambled packs and not a combo really flummoxes me. The cynic in me thinks it’s a way Firaxis can test their market for who will pay something for anything.

I just pulled up the Gamespot article though, SCP appears to be in the more logical Scrambled Continents and not Scrambled Nations.

Thanks for catching and correcting that!

Kind of a pain really because, as with using a mod, it means you will not be able to share your saves with most people.

Just to clarify, even if you don't use SCP for your map, if you don't disable the paid DLC before generating your map, you end up with save files that most people will not be able to open. I hardly ever share files, so it's not really justified, but this bug provides me anxious disincentive against the paid DLC.

Continents or Pangea standard or large starting in ancient era and the rest on random. Usually I have raging barbarians on. I almost always go for domination.

Top Bottom