More developed version of Civ 1

I didn't liked what nickthehun wrote because it was like making a sequel. We like simplicity: war or peace, one veteran level, etc.

In terms of gameplay, I would not change a thing.

What I would like to see is much better AI (like English that actually expand on the Earth map), option to load pre-made maps and maybe more interesting random events. I would also make barbarians way stronger, so they could take civilization down. Or at least give a list of optional twists to the game. Yeah, twists would be way cool.

I've always dreamed of playing as barbarians or colonizing Alpha Centauri while playing on Earth. Future Techs would be cool.

Loopinaloop, you don't speak for everyone, read all the comments. If a new version of civ was made, you don't have to get it. You're saying, "We like simplicity...." but then contradict yourself by saying, "Yeah, twists would be way cool."
All I'm saying is that there is enough interest in a new Civ version to make it viable. For those that are offended by the idea, they wouldn't be compelled to use the blasphemous newer version.

Well, but you have newer versions of Civ from the 2nd to the 5th...

agreed, I can never really get into the newer civ titles the way I got into civ 1. Though maybe some part of it is nostalgia or something. I do think the AI could be fixed up a bit. For example:

1) when you are leaving a civilization alone to develop and you continue to make peace with that civilization when you can, you would think he stops trying to sneak attack your armors with legions since it has no chance.

2) less ridiculous demands when they make peace and longer lasting peace when you agree

3) different formula to calculate its "power", which is at the moment I believe simply all its units attack points added up. I would like that to be offset somewhat against the amount of units (so 1 unit of 6 attack is still better than 2 units of 3, maybe even 2 units of 4 attack). And also it'd be nice if defense gets a contribution. After all if you have carriers defending every city (possibly with city walls) shouldn't the enemy think twice about attacking you with chariots and the likes?

I understand what you mean. Updating Civ1 is not the same as making a sequel. A sequel is an evolution whereas there are many aspects we love about Civ1's generation as it is. Just with better graphics, smarter AI, two player, etc.

I think that after all those years since Civ1 came out on the market, its a pity that no one amateur programmer has tried to make a more developed version of Civ1. With that I mean for example more developed dialogues between Civs, more city-improvements or more civs to choose between.

I totally agree, I have expressed similar opinion before. There's huge fan base and no one makes good clone of civ1. Just making UI more modern would be good enough.

I have actually started to make a clone myself, but it goes slowly (I have to go to work, so the time is limited). And there are two fatal problems:

1. You need someone who will make civ1-style graphics. There were no mods for civ1 and graphics from civ2 are not useful.

2. AI is much bigger problem. In all civ versions AI just cheats and works like a state-machine. There's NO AI at all! If you want to program good AI in free time by yourself, it's task for very long time.

Making the game engine itself is not very difficult. as you could see in C-evo, it can be easily done by one man. On this and other civ-forums you only here excuses that it's not possible. C-evo is good example that it's not so difficult.

I would like to see some poll, if there are real people which would actively participate in development of new game. I guess that turnout would be near zero.

There is an official update for civ 1. It is called CivNet. It has better graphics, some usefull functions and less bugs. It also has multiplayer!

Few rule changes I'd welcome

1) One thing that really bothers me is that civ your at peace with can come and disembark loads of units near a city. "Hey we're at peace, aren't we? We'll just do a lil prep here for invasion. That's what peace treaty is for isn't it?"

So introduce "borders" in the sense that no city square utilized by a city could be entered by civ that you're at peace with. IMO that would solve the problem of getting rid of of these "peaceful occupants"

2) Diplomats: Should be able to bribe (one of) stacked units. After bribing, it would disappear - "used up" - much as when bribing a city. The price for bribing a city should imo increase, at least three fold (with ceiling, say, $10.000)

3) Bombers - extend range to 16, function as in civ5 - point and click "bomb there" (I don't like "occupying" place by enemy bombers in later stages). Would require building hangars in the host city. Fighters (defence) wouldn't require hangars. Bombers would not kill units just decrease population of the city by one or two (random). Could bomb irrigation.

4) Stacked units - currently, first 10 units are killed in a stack (found out this recently thanks to youtube). Would change this number to 4. I.e. a stack of 8 units would get "second chance". The unit with highest defence would act as defence (as it is now).

It would be nice if civilisation 1 map editor occured for civwin, not only for civ1 dos version...

It would be nice if civilisation 1 map editor occured for civwin, not only for civ1 dos version...

It's a feature on JCivED development roadmap (which exists only in my head, sorry...). Another crazy feature on this virtual roadmap is the ability to convert CivDOS savegames to CivWin format, and vice versa.

You'll have to be really patient, though, because it's certainly not going to happen before CivDOS's SVE is fully deciphered (altough this process is undergoing an unexpected acceleration thanks to Gowron's work - kudos to him).
Also, probably not before JCivED includes some CIV.EXE hack/patch feature to control what is not controllable from savegames.

It would be cool to implement an alliance feature where you can be allies with a civilization after being at peace for a certain amount of time. You would be able to meet with a civ's government and request to be allies - they can either accept or reject based on whether you are more powerful, or pay a certain fee every few turns or so. The benefits could be that you are given the technologies the other civ develops while being allied with them, and/or you are apprised of their movements.

Few rule changes I'd welcome

1) One thing that really bothers me is that civ your at peace with can come and disembark loads of units near a city. "Hey we're at peace, aren't we? We'll just do a lil prep here for invasion. That's what peace treaty is for isn't it?"

So introduce "borders" in the sense that no city square utilized by a city could be entered by civ that you're at peace with. IMO that would solve the problem of getting rid of of these "peaceful occupants"

2) Diplomats: Should be able to bribe (one of) stacked units. After bribing, it would disappear - "used up" - much as when bribing a city. The price for bribing a city should imo increase, at least three fold (with ceiling, say, $10.000)

3) Bombers - extend range to 16, function as in civ5 - point and click "bomb there" (I don't like "occupying" place by enemy bombers in later stages). Would require building hangars in the host city. Fighters (defence) wouldn't require hangars. Bombers would not kill units just decrease population of the city by one or two (random). Could bomb irrigation.

4) Stacked units - currently, first 10 units are killed in a stack (found out this recently thanks to youtube). Would change this number to 4. I.e. a stack of 8 units would get "second chance". The unit with highest defence would act as defence (as it is now).

Some interesting points you got here! I would definitely support the definition of frontiers or boundaries even if only for visual purposes. I would also like to have the possibility of labeling certain geographical features, like continents, oceans, mountain ranges, rivers, etc - so it would look a lot more like a real map (but with the option to turn all labels off).

Cool, we have newcomers. This forum provides new ways of playing the game. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Top Bottom