giant earth + custom scenario?

inner_citadel

Chieftain
If someone could offer some advice to an absolute novice, I'd appreciate it.
(I used the search function and looked through various mod tutorials to try to figure this out, but they were still way over my head)

I have genghis_kai's Giant Earth map. I think it's fantastic. What I would like to do is use that map for a custom game. Unfortunately, when I pull up custom game I do not have the option of selecting the Giant Earth Map.

What I would like to do, therefore, is to make a custom scenario using the Giant Earth map with the following minor changes:

[1] No city flipping from culture
[2] No barbarians
[3] No tech brokering
[4] the only way to victory would be Conquest.
[5] I would also like to make fission impossible to research (general disinterest in nukes)

If someone could walk me through this step by step, I'd be in your debt.
Thanks.

Most importantly, welcome to the forums!! :) :beer:

1) To use a custom map (assuming your map is in your ...Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\PublicMaps folder), I believe you simply open Civ4, select Single Player, then select Custom Scenario (at the bottom), which will bring up a list of maps, scenarios, and mods. Then you can just select your map and set it up the way you'd like.

2) As for disabling nukes, there's probably quite a few ways to do it. Instead of disallowing the technology (fission), you could disable (remove) them (tactical nukes and ICBMs) from the game. This is an XML hack, so make sure you back up (create a copy of it somewhere else) the file you'd like to alter (Civ4UnitInfos.xml)!

To delete nukes, go to your ...Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Units directory and open Civ4UnitInfos.xml with NOTEPAD (not wordpad or Word or Internet Explorer, etc.), then search for (press [SHIFT]+[F]) TACTICAL_NUKE, and simply remove that entire entry. You will need to remove everything between (and including) the top and bottom lines of the following (NOTE: the "..." is just to save space; everything between that top line and the bottom line must be removed!!):
Spoiler :
<UnitInfo>
<Class>UNITCLASS_TACTICAL_NUKE</Class>​
<Type>UNIT_TACTICAL_NUKE</Type>​
...​
<LeaderPromotion>NONE</LeaderPromotion>​
<iLeaderExperience>0</iLeaderExperience>​
</UnitInfo>

Then you need to do the same for the next entry (UNITCLASS_ICBM), as above. Once that's done (you BETTER have backed up this file somewhere!), you'll no longer see nukes in the game at all (though you or anyone else can still build the now-worthless Manhattan Project...the fools!). There may be an easier (and better?) way to do this, but this is how I know how to do it. :)

Hope that made sense, and again, welcome to the forums! :)

umm.. kind of in relation to this... I have a tiny problem....

I open Civ, Click Singleplayer... and i only have 4 options - Play now - Load Game - Custom Game - Play a Scenario...

No option - Custom Scenario - to be seen...

Any suggestions as to what is wrong and how i can fix this?

im having an epic problem with the GEM!
ok so i go to mods and upload Giant_Earth_Map
and now that the mod is loaded.... now what!?
any game i try to play it ask's me what map i want to use (i want to use the giant earth map duh?) and i can only select other normal maps
WTF?

Most importantly, welcome to the forums!! :) :beer:

1) To use a custom map (assuming your map is in your ...Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\PublicMaps folder), I believe you simply open Civ4, select Single Player, then select Custom Scenario (at the bottom), which will bring up a list of maps, scenarios, and mods. Then you can just select your map and set it up the way you'd like.

2) As for disabling nukes, there's probably quite a few ways to do it. Instead of disallowing the technology (fission), you could disable (remove) them (tactical nukes and ICBMs) from the game. This is an XML hack, so make sure you back up (create a copy of it somewhere else) the file you'd like to alter (Civ4UnitInfos.xml)!

To delete nukes, go to your ...Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Units directory and open Civ4UnitInfos.xml with NOTEPAD (not wordpad or Word or Internet Explorer, etc.), then search for (press [SHIFT]+[F]) TACTICAL_NUKE, and simply remove that entire entry. You will need to remove everything between (and including) the top and bottom lines of the following (NOTE: the "..." is just to save space; everything between that top line and the bottom line must be removed!!):
Spoiler :
<UnitInfo>
<Class>UNITCLASS_TACTICAL_NUKE</Class>​
<Type>UNIT_TACTICAL_NUKE</Type>​
...​
<LeaderPromotion>NONE</LeaderPromotion>​
<iLeaderExperience>0</iLeaderExperience>​
</UnitInfo>

Then you need to do the same for the next entry (UNITCLASS_ICBM), as above. Once that's done (you BETTER have backed up this file somewhere!), you'll no longer see nukes in the game at all (though you or anyone else can still build the now-worthless Manhattan Project...the fools!). There may be an easier (and better?) way to do this, but this is how I know how to do it. :)

Hope that made sense, and again, welcome to the forums! :)

You could also take out the Manhattan Project.

This thread has been necro'd so many times. First time: Interface problem that probably made him upset.

Second time: The guy would've been better off posting it elsewhere.

Third time: A reply delayed a little bit.

Top Bottom