Funny Pictures XXVI: The Fun Has Been Doubled!

That joke about being a comedian was Bob Monkhouse's originally, I believe.

That's mean! :)

And the Heffalumps are Jesus in purgatory.

Marijuana users aren't particularly known for being as depressed as Eeyore.

Eeyore seems depressed at first glance, but there is definitely evidence to show that he isn't. Although whether that evidence is canon depends on whether one considers any of Disney's adaptations to be canon.

^Dutch word is actually Cinema, I've never heard Kino before (only in German).
And is that the Finnish flag? The fact that the two whites blend doesn't make it very clear.

^Dutch word is actually Cinema, I've never heard Kino before (only in German).

???

pretty sure it's bioscoop.

It's not really surprising that Finnish would be wildly different. Finno-Ugric isn't Indo-European after all.

Well it's probably a compound word -- the 2nd part of it is "teatteri", which looks like theatre to me. So the "elokuva" must mean "film" or "movie" or something.

Also I doubt that it matters that Finnish isn't a PIE language, given that a "cinema" is a relatively modern invention.

???

pretty sure it's bioscoop.

Can be used too, but I use 'cinema' more often.
I'm living in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium though, might have to do with it.
I just used a Dutch-only search for Kino, didn't find anything related to cinemas, so it seems it really isn't a word used in Dutch. They probably messed up Dutch and German.

OT: I'm not a language expert, but Teatteri (Last part of Elokuvateatteri) sounds like Theatre.

Considering the fact that cinemas were originally called ''Electric Theaters'', I would hazard a guess that Elokuva means Electric.

Can be used too, but I use 'cinema' more often.
I'm living in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium though, might have to do with it.
I just used a Dutch-only search for Kino, didn't find anything related to cinemas, so it seems it really isn't a word used in Dutch. They probably messed up Dutch and German.

OT: I'm not a language expert, but Teatteri (Last part of Elokuvateatteri) sounds like Theatre.

here in Rotterdam everybody says bioscoop. :p

Top Bottom