Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Hi, the mods tab is present in my game but the mods don't seem to be taking affect - running YnAEMP, YnAEMAP City States and TSL Giant map Gedemon (Cookie's Version).
Any help would be great.

Hi, welcome

How are you setting up the game after you enable the mods? Remember you MUST keep moving forwards through the config screens. Sometimes it's not obvious how to do that. For example, on the first screen after you have enabled the checkboxes for the mods, you see a list of loaded mods. At the top of that screen is a "SINGLE PLAYER" button that you may not spot. Click that to keep going. If you go back to the main menu instead, and set up a game, you will not have the loaded mods.

Hi, welcome

How are you setting up the game after you enable the mods? Remember you MUST keep moving forwards through the config screens. Sometimes it's not obvious how to do that. For example, on the first screen after you have enabled the checkboxes for the mods, you see a list of loaded mods. At the top of that screen is a "SINGLE PLAYER" button that you may not spot. Click that to keep going. If you go back to the main menu instead, and set up a game, you will not have the loaded mods.

Well, in my defence that didn't look like a button to me.

Thanks, solved it!

Don't beat yourself up, it's a common mistake. You'll find it mentioned several times in this thread, and the root cause is a poor user interface design by Firaxis.

Have spent a few hours now sifting through this thread trying to find the advice for my exact situation, but couldn't find it. I may have skimmed a few pages, apologies if I missed something.

I've downloaded the Enhanced User Interface mod from this link which told me to install the mod into the DLC folder which is in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/CivilizationV.app/Contents/Home/Assets/DLC.

I installed the unzipped EUI folder (named by default "Ul_bc1") into this folder as well as into ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization V/MODS as per AlanH's instructions, but when I run the game the Mod will not show up. I have already enabled the mods button by editing my MainMenu.lua file, but when I click on it the EUI mod does not show up on the list. What am I doing wrong?

NOTES: I am running Civ V via Steam on a Mac, version 10.9.3, with both G&K and BNW.

I was just wondering if you answered this question as I'm stuck in the same situation with the same mod. My mac is version OS X 10.8.5 though. I edited the Mainmenu.lua file with textedit.

I don't think I did respond - I was probably hoping someone else knew the answer.

It appears that this has been packaged as DLC, not a mod. If so there is no point in putting it in the MODS folder, but without testing it myself, I have no idea whether the Mac version of Civ5 can handle it.

So it doesn't appear at all in the Mod menu, but the mod is active in game. Not quite sure what I did, but I'm glad the mod works. It didn't work at all until I placed the mod into the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/CivilizationV.app/Contents/Home/Assets/DLC folder. I renamed "UI_bc1" folder to "Enhanced User Interface", which may be why it's not appearing.

It isn't a mod, so it will not appear In mods. It's DLC, like the G&K and BNW enhancements.

Can somebody help me, I have civ 5 on mac, but I don't have steam. I downloaded it from the App Store (it's not pirated). The mods button isn't present and I don't have the first clue on how to mod my version of civ. any help would be awesome!

As far as I know, the App Store version of Civ5 doesn't support mods. I have seen one or two posts indicating that copies obtained from non-English App Stores *might* do so, but I have not found a way to enable mods on my UK copy.

Trying to install the Enhanced User Interface from bc1. But I cannot find the right place to copy the folder.

I can find the Sid Meier's Civilization V.app in Users/(user_name)/Applications/Sid Meier's Civilization V.app (so not quite the path mentioned in the instructions, but I cannot find /Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app, there is no Application Support directory under (user_name), just the path I show above)

When I open the package this is what I see:

Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 1.57.15 AM.jpg

No Home/Assets/DLC directory anywhere.

I have the right version of the game, and all DLCs, I am using OS X, 10.9.4.

Where did you buy Civ5? If it's from the App Store then it will normally be in /Applications/, not in ~/Applications/. If you can't find ~/Library/Application Support/ then you are probably looking in the wrong Library folder.

Hey there, I followed your tutorial to the letter and installed some mods (a bunch of them, I don't think anyone specifically is causing my problem though) and everything worked fine for a bit, until after I'd restarted civ 5 a couple of times, and now it crashes every time I try and load it. I tried using the apple script method you posted on page 21, but the problem persists. Im running OSX 10.9.5 and am using the steam version of civ 5. Is my problem a common one, did I do something wrong, or is this something you've never heard of before?

A similar report came up a few weeks ago. That was fixed by disabling different mods until one was found that caused the crash.

Dear AlanH,

Thank you for helping out so many Civ fans! Unfortunately I have a problem too...

I do everything as you instruct, but I still get the: InvalidVersionNumber error, and the Guide for Touch Controls pop-up. I'm sure I copied the hyphens from elsewhere in the document! (as you instruct in point 3) I use Texteditor

I am on OS X Yosemite, version 10.10. I have downloaded Civ 5 with the App Store and have several DLC running

I hope you can help me out with this!

Kind regards

Hi, welcome

The invalid version number problem is *always* a result of the mainmenu.lua file being corrupted, so that it will not run properly as a script. Unfortunately you have the App Store version of Civ5, and so you probably can't make it work, even if you fix the broken file.As far as I know, the App Store version will not run mods - at least not the ones downloaded from the US or UK stores.

You either need to invest in the Steam version, or you'll have to re-install your App Store version and accept that you probably can't run mods with it.

hello, after the update on october 27 2014, when I run the script, i get this:

************:~ ****$ /usr/bin/python '/Users/****/Desktop/Civ5 Enable Steam Mods.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/civ5enablesteammods.py'
Civ5 Enable Steam Mods 1.0.3

the stars are personal info.

What is worse, all of my mods are gone, i use to have mods using the same script that you wrote. is there any way of solving this?

Thanks

-RedBoy262

Hi, welcome

The text you see is the normal script output, so I don't see that as a problem.

Does your Mods menu still show? It sounds as if it does (mine is still there after the update). If it shows no mods, check to see if the mods are still installed in /Users/****/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/ If they are not there, something or someone has deleted them, and you will have to reinstall them. Do you have a backup - e.g. Time Machine?

If the MODS menu is not showing, it's possible that the update has reverted the MainMenu.lua file to hide the menu. You will have to delete the backup copy so that the script will re-apply the edit. The backup copy is at /Users/****/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu_orig.lua

Hello all,

I have the following and need a little help please...

Mac OS Yosemite 10.10, Steam CIV 5 G&K.

I would like to install mods and have tried to find the file that I need to modify in order to install mods. Can anyone help please????

Thank you.

Hi welcome :wavey:

Have you tried using the AppleScript that is referred to in the first post? It's a far easier and safer way to modify that script file than finding it manually.

Top Bottom