R.E.D. World War II development thread

Small report on v.5: I'm reworking the unit classes to make room for danrell great new packs of units, then I'll start adding projects to research the ones not available at game start. no ETA yet, maybe next weeks, but it could take a bit longer, there's really a lot to add :D

I'd also like to get some feedbacks on v.4 and the retreat features before adding new contents.

I'm still experiencing sporadic crashes but now I can play (crashes occur every 5 to 10 turns).
As Italy I have conquered southern France and Egypt but both the german and the russian AI's seem to lack the will to conquer either Poland and southern France. And the german AI declared war on France before declaring war on Netherlands and Belgium so I presume that they got stuck on the Maginot line. I can't say anything about the retreats because for now i never encountered any resistance...

Oh a quick question: what have I to build to recruit the infantry?

Small report on v.5: I'm reworking the unit classes to make room for danrell great new packs of units, then I'll start adding projects to research the ones not available at game start. no ETA yet, maybe next weeks, but it could take a bit longer, there's really a lot to add :D

I'd also like to get some feedbacks on v.4 and the retreat features before adding new contents.

Oh, are you changing around the units? Glad I waited for making the icons then...lol.

I've just been working on icon work and I think I've perfected the process. They won't be Firaxis-quality, but they'll be close to it. I've done icons for my personal scenario and I was going to work on yours very soon, but if you're changing them around, I'll wait.

I promise you, I haven't forgotten about them.

the base won't change, don't worry, I'm adding sub-categories and more classes, but the list from post 2 is correct, just incomplete (I'll add the other classes when I've finished listed what's really needed IMO)

I think that I will regroup anti-air with field artillery and mobile AA with SPG, it will prevent to have too much unit types on the map and may help the AI.

Was looking at the awesome units of danrell, and i see the boat i was just thinking maybe you should make the boat a national unit (dont know if possible) so we wont see an armada of Yamamoto :mischief:

like the UK can build a max of 6 Capital ships (just say a number like that) but can build 12 destroyer

German limits should be less since they dont have the capacity of the UK to build ships but a greater national limit for the submarine

the boat ? the destroyer you mean ? or the battleships ?

I plan to add most of danrell's units, ships included.

And yes atm the limit is the same for each nation (4 battleships, it's the only limited unit yet), but a per nation limit will be added.

the spreadsheet with units stats is here. It's not final, it will change during test and from feedback, but it will give you a general idea ;)

and yes capital battleships are more powerful, and I may add a little buff to some specific units (let's call them WWII UU, Bismark could be one of them)

This is a great mod Gedemon :thumbsup:
Playing v.4

Played the scenario twice now, game crashed at turn 40 for me as Germany (and I had no save, so decided to restart the game as Italy, and now it crashed at turn 41). Not sure what is causing the crash however but I can upload a save on turn 41 if you want to check it out.

Italy turn 41
http://www.mediafire.com/?b13bb5a058bu16d

Germany turn 40 (Managed to use an auto save to recreate the crash...)
http://www.mediafire.com/?gkvi5a2rk8l8u8t

Some other issues seem to be that the AI ignores lost terrain, for example even when they turn the war around they don't recapture manufacturing plants.

A message displayed both my games, saying something like "France is losing the war and have called in reserve troops"... and then they get a free settler every turn... and when you capture it it turns into a worker for you.

Noticed in the spreadsheet you plan to add oil cost, which is awesome unless the AI is punished too badly. I think you should consider throwing in steel/iron as well.

Awesome work so far, keep up the good work :worship:

One question, do you plan to use the social policy tree to anything?

This is a great mod Gedemon :thumbsup:
Playing v.4

Played the scenario twice now, game crashed at turn 40 for me as Germany (and I had no save, so decided to restart the game as Italy, and now it crashed at turn 41). Not sure what is causing the crash however but I can upload a save on turn 41 if you want to check it out.

Italy turn 41
http://www.mediafire.com/?b13bb5a058bu16d

Germany turn 40 (Managed to use an auto save to recreate the crash...)
http://www.mediafire.com/?gkvi5a2rk8l8u8t

Some other issues seem to be that the AI ignores lost terrain, for example even when they turn the war around they don't recapture manufacturing plants.

A message displayed both my games, saying something like "France is losing the war and have called in reserve troops"... and then they get a free settler every turn... and when you capture it it turns into a worker for you.

Noticed in the spreadsheet you plan to add oil cost, which is awesome unless the AI is punished too badly. I think you should consider throwing in steel/iron as well.

Awesome work so far, keep up the good work :worship:

One question, do you plan to use the social policy tree to anything?

Thank you for this report !

I've joined to this post a quick fix that should allow you to continue your game with Italy (and may fix the other game too, peoples with permanent crashes should test it also)

replace the file RedUnitFunctions.lua in the "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\R.E.D. WWII edition (v 4)\Lua" folder with the one in the archive, and please report if it has worked.

The expected reserve troop should be an infantry units, I'll look closer at that one for v.5

Oil (and other resources like iron, coal -> steel, aluminum...) are planned, but in the long term.

IA ignoring terrain is something I've noted also, I'll see if I can hijack fast AI units to reconquest those tiles... again, not short term.

About the social policy tree, I've pondered some uses, as a military doctrine tree with XP replacing culture for unlocking branches/doctrine, but haven't found enough doctrines to feel this change useful, but I'm open to suggestion.

What I've planned instead (long to very long term again), is replacing advisor with war minister (Foreign affair, Air, Sea, Land), allowing the player to chose between 2 or 3 historical figure with different bonus for each of them.

Attachments

• RedUnitFunctions.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 99
corrected fix posted in previous post, please test and report :)

corrected fix posted in previous post, please test and report :)

Works :goodjob: ... I'm on turn 50 now

Going away for a week now but I will be back playing when I get home, stupid job ;)

One thing the AI is doing rather poorly (guess this is a vanilla problem as well): AI uses fighters to bomb, instead of intercepting my bombers...
Not sure if you can increase the AI flavor to intercept instead? Or remove the bomb option and make fighters intercept anyways or something...

The AI also loses their fighers/bombers due to not escaping, the germans had 6 tanks around minsk and the russian AI bombs with 1 bomber and 2 fighters, next turn loses all 3 units =/ (again I guess this is a vanilla AI problem that needs to be fixed).

Also german panzers can capture cities, italian tanks can't.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Started work on the icons, Ged. Don't know when they'll be finished, doing them in my spare time in between Mesopotamia, work, and real life. Here's what I got so far, let me know if you think they're good or need to be improved.

Attachments

• WWII icons DELETE.jpg
    WWII icons DELETE.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 13,958
You're too kind.

Started work on the icons, Ged. Don't know when they'll be finished, doing them in my spare time in between Mesopotamia, work, and real life. Here's what I got so far, let me know if you think they're good or need to be improved.

I like them, very civ5 style, especially the first 2 with a nice contrast between the unit and the background. :goodjob:

Do you think you can do something similar for the heavy tank and the spitfire ?

And don't worry, we're all wondering why there are only 24 hours available in a day :D

Of course, and glad you like em.

Bonus points if you know what tank the heavy tank is.

Top Bottom