[Design] Sundabar

Darque

Chaotic Lord of Dragonia
This thread will discuss design issues for the Sundabar civilization.

Spoiler History :
Fables and legends that feature the origins of the Sundabar Empire indicate that Azadir Mustafa, a Sundarian tribesman, was the original ruler responsible for founding the civilization. Narratives indicate that after the Ravaging, Azadir's tribe, the Kayi, fled east from what may have been their original home around 331 AR. Their reasons for leaving their original home are unknown, but most theories point to the fact that the area may have been to polluted at this time to allow for any real growth. In any case, the future Sundabarians after several generations there, gave up on that land and took control of a freebooting army of nomads and peasants who inhabited the rugged stretch of wasteland along the Central Dragonian frontier. This band of refugees enjoyed close ties to religious brotherhoods in local towns that were led by Sheikh Awoendar, who allowed Azadir to form a tiny state around his castle of Ethogia. Sundarian warriors and religious leaders who also fled from the destruction of the Ravaging in the west quickly populated this region ruled by Azadir. Azadir directed his community through the Sund Valley to seize Sundabar, and establish it as the first true Sundarian capital. The Sundabar state emerged, poised above the fertile Plains of Sund.

Over a century later in 518, as the Sundarians spread into the lands of other peoples; their new leader, Falir Mustafa, a descendant of Azadir, began to wage a slow but persistent war against the Black Orcs who endeavored to raid Sundabar from the North. His first victory over an orcish army at Dialogymia perpetuated Falir's fame, and settlers flocked to the Sundabarian territories as a result. With new-found wealth and a growing population, Falir extended his control over several other fortresses, providing the Sundabarians with strong bases from which they could lay siege to Vurkin and Harmyrk in the northeast. The pinnacle of Falir's reign occurred at the conquest of Hokgen shortly before his death.

Initially, Sundabar war tactics were no different than those used by the tribal Sundabarians. They would first harass the foe with horse-archers, employing hit and run tactics, only closing in on the enemy when they became completely disorganized. Thus, the earliest Sundabar successes were won against isolated orcish garrisons, but rarely against a field army. In order to capture fortified towns the Sundarians ravaged the countryside. Afterwards, the Sundarians would revive the town's trade and increase its population so that it could then be consolidated into the Empire as a productive and functioning city. During their earliest exploits, the Sundarians were frequently frustrated by fortifications and the exhausting sieges that were required in order to overcome these defenders.

In 792 AR, war again erupted between the nations of Sundabar and the Black Orcs. This time, land disputes were the excuse that was used, but in reality it was a clash of faiths. The Black Orcs had begun a devoted worship of Gruumsh, and his Priests, known as Lazguoi were intent on destroying the Sundabarian Faith of the Sun God, Pelor. In 912 AR, the Black Orcs unleashed a devastating attack on Sundabar through the fearsome power of their allied Wyverns. Sundabar gave up their claim to the mineral-rich areas claimed by the Black Orcs, and began to search other areas where they could continue their own expansion.

Soon Sundabar began to look to the west for expansion over the Great Wastelands. This, in 1221 AR resulted in a war with Furn, which was a greater adversary. The war did not go well for Sundabar, as the Legions of Furn were too much. In the end, Furn sacked the Sundarian capitol, ending the war, but resulting in a Sundarian Civil War that tore the country apart. Tribal families fought each other for control of Sundabar, forming small City-States that to this day continue to skirmish each other in the countrysides.

It seems to me that the Sundabar have a similar history to the Ottoman's early history. So, based off of that, they seem to have a middle eastern style military. It would be cool if the Sundabar had an infinity for mercenaries then like the Ottomans did. (A poignant example of Ottoman mercenary affinity is that they always were able to hire the best gunners from Europe. In several prominent sieges, they had German or Spanish gunner captains.) Also, they had very good horse archers. So, maybe a UU based of the Horse Archer unit would be cool. Then following the middle eastern theme, their cities would naturally be a like the Arabian or Ottoman style in CivIV. Another idea. (I'm thinking of a lot of ideas, aren't I? :) )

I look at Sundabar as sort of a Persian based civ. Overall, I feel they have an affinity as merchants as well.
And it probobly is a good idea to have a unique horse archer for them. I'll look into what the unit should look like, and as for stats, it will probobly have an increased withdrawl chance as well as +1 first strike.

Sounds great, man. That's kinda what I was getting at. Cool.

Top Bottom