Current (SVN) development discussion thread

UHV's are supposed to be more rigid then the rest of the gameplay.
And I don't get what you're talking about mercenaries at all. Personally, I think that they're a needless addition to the mod, one of the few examples of Rhye doing the kitchen-sink approach.

Well, starting units had always been pre-determined. Besides, American missionary is contextual, which means that the New World is always given leeway in such matters.

Well, starting units had always been pre-determined. Besides, American missionary is contextual, which means that the New World is always given leeway in such matters.

I'd like to point out that America has no religion related goals and starts secular.

Not sure about that, I think it seems OK.

Considering the building itself, it is ok, but having free broadcast towers so early seems a bit OP for the human player. Although, I like that Steel's importance has been increased in DoC.

Is the broadcast tower effect ever really useful? Outside of cultural victory scenarios? They're rarely a building I prioritize and therefore I also tend to ignore the Eiffel Tower.

As of latest SVN, I was unable to raze a number of cities that wasn't holy cities - Roma, Athens, etc. (Not that I wanted to). Has there been a change to that, which I missed?

It could be an unintended side effect of a recent change.

Were the cities you conquered independent or did they have a substantial portion of independent culture? Or conversely, did they have a substantial portion of your culture right after you conquered them?

They were indy or barb - and no, I didn't have any culture upon conquering them, indy or barb culture 100%.

Independents have a crazy tech rate as well, they have grenadiers in 864AD. Something seems to have been messed up somehow :)

Um, okay.

In my Brazilian start Inca had all techs at start except Future Tech, Reformation and TXT_KEY_TECH_BUDDHISM

Just happened to me too, this is a consequence of the respawn mechanic. I'm currently trying to fix it.

By the way, I'm also in the process of changing the tech discount for already discovered techs so that the least advanced third of all civs get twice the benefit from it.

Just happened to me too, this is a consequence of the respawn mechanic. I'm currently trying to fix it.

By the way, I'm also in the process of changing the tech discount for already discovered techs so that the least advanced third of all civs get twice the benefit from it.

Congo, Aztecs and Inca thank you profusely.

Is the broadcast tower effect ever really useful? Outside of cultural victory scenarios? They're rarely a building I prioritize and therefore I also tend to ignore the Eiffel Tower.

They are important for domination victory also. Newly founded cities with a broadcast tower expand their cultural borders much faster than those without.

But I have never built a broadcast tower, ever, because of the Eiffel Tower effect and how much of a hammer saving is made by building the wonder over the individual buildings.

Do you still have plans to implement the free city buildings on founding to be from current era -1 for all civs?

(pretty please?)

Yes, I have accumulated a decent list of small mechanic changes and all the other stuff we talked about here, which I'll get to once I'm done with Argentina. This will probably be the first thing from it that I'll do.

For every player or only AI?

Leo, I have to congratulate you. Brazil was a very fun civ to play as, if approached correctly, the human player can make this civ into a tech and comerce juggernaut without any need to invade civs outside your core. I have just completed my first game with them (marathon speed, monarch difficulty), I played in a pacifist way and just focused on building up my infrastructure and economy, won a space race victory in 2007. Along the way I also built the internet (despite not having copper), SDI, Cristo Redentor and beat the USA and the euros to several other wonders.

However, I have noticed several bugs from this game and playing as other civs.

1. Sometimes when you conquer a city you cannot raze it (i.e mombaza or quelimagne).

2. I believe your change to the slave plantations mechanics actually had the opposite effect. You can still build them in jungle or forest, they just don´t clear the forest/jungle anymore when you do.

3. I noticed that I cannot build GP-related buildings (interpol, academies) and the option doesn´t show up when the GP is selected. I basically had to WB the desired building and delete the GP to simulate the effect.

4. Finally, something must have gone wrong when you changed embassy-related stuff, as I can build embassies of dead civs.

You can see how the world ended up. I basically started as Portugal, founded 6 cities in Brazil, then switched to Brazil, researched biology and founded 2 more, I also moved my capital to Brasilia and built SP in Rio (btw, I added a river in the tile above Rio as it is kinda frustrating having a city that is literally called "river of janeiro" and not being able to build a levy there).

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 144
(btw, I added a river in the tile above Rio as it is kinda frustrating having a city that is literally called "river of janeiro" and not being able to build a levy there).

There's no actual river in or near Rio de Janeiro, so the lack of a river on the map is appropriate. The name was a mistake by early explorers, who assumed the bay on which Rio sits (Baia de Guanabara) had to be the mouth of a river. It's not.

Top Bottom