Oxen

They have no game effect* other than a fluctuating price. Buy low, sell high.

* There's an occasional contest to own the most commodities.

lol, really ?
Without supply and demand, buy low/sell high doesn't really make sense.
Looks like another piece of lameness thrown at us

lol, really ?
Without supply and demand, buy low/sell high doesn't really make sense.
Looks like another piece of lameness thrown at us

Yep. Their price is based a little off other players' buy/sell, but also randomness.

This is one of the few ways in the game to create money. Money you need for economic victory.

This is one of the few ways in the game to create money. Money you need for economic victory.

it is much much much easier to make money buying and selling farms and production because they fluctuate so much. try to stay somewhat liquid, buy low, sell high.

of course, if you see oxen, incense, silk at 300 gold each, and then marble is 120, well of course, buy marble because it will always go back to 300 with the rest within an hour or 2.

I always play the markets, especially commodities. In early game, my rule is never to pay more than the average cost that people are holding. Once I find the general price that things sit at (usually grows slowly over the course of the game) I just buy whatever is most out of whack. Also, never EVER sell the cheapest commodity on the board.

it is much much much easier to make money buying and selling farms and production because they fluctuate so much. try to stay somewhat liquid, buy low, sell high.

of course, if you see oxen, incense, silk at 300 gold each, and then marble is 120, well of course, buy marble because it will always go back to 300 with the rest within an hour or 2.
No, I meant to create money. Luxuries fluctuate naturally on the market. If you play on the market with resources there is not really any creation of money, the money in it is stored by people who buy from the market. Buying and selling great people and military units even destroys part of the money invested but there also seems to be a small natural fluctuation.

To win economic victories you need money that is created one way or another, trough your own income and other peoples income which is stored in the market.

Ironically, after reading this post I happen upon the market screen in my current game, production selling for 1200, oxen price 20?! I sold one production, then added to my cash on hand bought up 60 units until the price hit around 100/per.

THEN! noticed Great Generals (name?) were 200g! Talk about market crash, bought 10 of them, now I am penniless, but with good potential for resale in a few hours (I hope...if not, guaranteed luxury good challenge winner at least).

I don't play the market, but after this stroke of luck I certainly am paying much more attention to it.

It is not a stroke of luck Redmonkiee. Well it is, in a way. You just happened across another player running multiple accounts.

1) Player A is the real account.
2) Player B is the dummy account he makes. B joins the same game, sells everything he starts with on the market to lower the price of production/food and other things, and quits the game.
3) A buys back the cheap stuff as fast as he can.
4) B rejoins the same game as a "new player" and repeats step 2 and 3.
5) After a few times, player A will basically be full of cheaply purchased stuff and can dominate the market by raising the prices of everything, then slowly selling off the stuff.

Hello everyone, first and foremost, I would like to state that I love the civ franchise and that’s why I'm writing this because I genuinely hope to help improve the quality of game for myself and everyone else playing.
When I first started playing the game I noticed that some players had outrageously high production values for citizens. Whether it is a farmer that had 39 production at the beginning of the ancient era or a scientist that was producing 50 research. I figured they were extremely talented players… at first.
I realized this was impossible and I began really questioning things when some players acquired 6-10 medals within the first 45 minutes of game play before eras were completed and kings could cash in on their bonus. I quickly realized that there was an exploit being used revolving around the fluctuations I and other players were noticing in the market.
And it’s incredibly simple and can be pulled off using no more than two people working in tandem.
At the beginning of the game one player buys a large sum of production raising the price. Player two enters the game and causes the market to crash by selling all the initial production given upon start up. Player one then buys the production at the artificially lowered price. Player two uses the gold attained from the first sell off to raise prices even further and player one then sells. Upon completion of this cycle player two then quits and reenters the game. Repeat until incredibly rich and do it while no one is looking and you have a competitive advantage that no one else can match. Better yet, have player two lower prices of great people at start up each time and swoop them up when no one is looking.
As you can see there’s nothing very fun about that if you’re not in the know. But when I was done I had 50 production on a single farmer, was king of an empire with 72 medals (mostly economic), always outbidding everyone in auctions, winning all contests, and had over 200 great people.
Sadly not one player ever asked me how I did it… People would visit my town but never asked. Which is a bigger problem altogether, and endemic of the lack of team play and reporting of “odd things” that don’t make any sense at all. To those of you that do notice and report it… good for you!
So the possible solutions I figured were…
1. Put a timer on how many items can be bought and sold in an allotted amount of time. This prevents the massive crashes and fluctuations in prices that this technique needs to work.
2. Somehow reduce or limit resources given upon entering a game.
3. Do not allow players to quit and reenter the same game within a certain time frame. All of these together might prevent option 4 which is…
4. Scrap the way the market works at the moment and start from scratch which sucks because I really loved this idea.
It’s funny but I discovered this teaming up with one of my friends. Ironic because so few people ever do in this game which is a shame. But as beta players I am confident that we can create a better game without exploits and bugs that ruin the strategy and team play potential in this game.
Any other solutions please post.
Source: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?112148-Ever-wonder-how-some-people-do-it...

Currently the game is so broken, with the new join/quit exploits (when you quit a game and it is the only game you have, you get put back into the same game as a new player), the bubble popping macros/bots/programs people on the 2K forums freely admit to writing (because there is no rule or agreement or TOS or EULA that says you can't do it), and multiple account players (these are against Facebook's TOS, but not CivWorld's), I'm not sure I will play another round until they are fixed.

The latest changes with the 20 hour battle timers and maze tech changes are horrible, game stagnates once you reach the Digital era or so and players no longer log on to finish the game as they realize they/their civ has no chance of winning, and it takes forever to finish any era win.

Honestly, so much of this is paranoia. People manipulate the crap out of the market all the time without having multiple accounts.

My team do it, primarily with Science, when we don't want to overflow a tech. The person in the tech will sell a bunch, and the others will buy it cheap. We also all watch the market, and will tell the others if we see a good price on something.

If these dudes with the duplicate accounts were any GOOD at the game, it might be an issue.

Even so, it is still exploitable as described. You only need ONE person to do it for your game to be ruined.

It is not a stroke of luck Redmonkiee. Well it is, in a way. You just happened across another player running multiple accounts.

Ha! So I was in a very right place at a very right time? If that is so, then that makes me feel A) Lucky, and B) pretty pleased with myself that I accidentally wasted someone's time (even if it was only 5-10 mins)

Pretty much. No one playing the game legitly would sell Oxen down to 20 gold, or GPs down to 200 on Day 1.

Strange though, why people would manipulate/exploit the gam mechanics to win fast. I mean, it's a social game on a social website, what are the possible advantages to tearing it apart and driving the entire game to an abrupt and unskillful end. Madness, I say. Madness.

Top Bottom