CivFanatics -- Hands-On Civ4 Preview

Great preview, civrules! :yeah: Better than that of Apolyton, IMO. :mischief:

The only downside is there's no criticism. You lay it on rather thick. But I admit, as a beta-tester you're treading on eggs when it comes to giving critics. And perhaps you simply are so positive.

What, if you can tell, is the Industrial and Modern eras like?

O and good luck Helmling I feel for you. Long live civ!!!! :twitch:

Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question. The answer is probably on the order of 'if you have to ask, you'll never know.' How do you earn the coveted position of beta tester? Will sacrificing one of my children help? But seriously, in general, what does it take to become a beta tester?

I suspected that you mods and the 'poly mods would have been testers. It happens in other games development.

Mods weren't participating in the rampant speculation that was going on all the time, weren't joining in on the new suggestions. There are two good things to come out of this.

1) The things that we figured out were able to be confirmed in the 'Pre-Release info' thread (without violating the NDA) and none of the furphies would have been added.

2) Some of the better suggestions from the site, could have been pipelined to Firaxis.

I kinda feel sorry the mods, because even though they had access to the game - spreading the joy was limited.

BTW - its a great preview and its great to read something well-written by someone who understands the sort of things we addicts are concerned about.

I suspected that you mods and the 'poly mods would have been testers. It happens in other games development.

So are you suggesting that developing a quality mod, might get their attention?

Helmling said:
Duh, they're moderators at Civ Fanatics.

This isn't that far from the truth. Firaxis has recruited testers from the significant people of various fansites (including moderators, modders, and super quality players who know everything there is about civ).

There are a lot of upsides to being a beta tester, but us non-beta testers have to keep in mind that in two weeks we all get the benefit of playing the tested and mostly bug free (hopefully) game, and we get to experience it for the first time (buying our copy, opening it up, installing it, and searching throw it madly for info.) a very special moment indeed. I think the beta tester in twelve days, might just have a little jealousy towards us in that respect. (maybe just a little) :mischief:

If experience in SMAC counted, I'd surely be in! I kinda discovered Civilization by accident as a game that was a lot like SMAC! Boy was I surprised.

I think the beta tester in twelve days, might just have a little jealousy towards us in that respect. (maybe just a little)
I understand that, but the pleasure of creating something would outweigh that for me. I'm learning Python, XML and even a little C++ because I desprately want to create new things with cIV. I'll probably never be the programmer that can create a game from scratch, but to get in in the middle of it and have an influence on the game is worth a ton of time and work to me.

Modifiable said:
I understand that, but the pleasure of creating something would outweigh that for me. I'm learning Python, XML and even a little C++ because I desprately want to create new things with cIV. I'll probably never be the programmer that can create a game from scratch, but to get in in the middle of it and have an influence on the game is worth a ton of time and work to me.
I'm just trying to give us non-beta testers a upside here, little as it may be (there's always a upside)....;)

Raggamuffin said:
What are your system specs? And how did it run?

Like any 3D game, the graphics card matters a lot. I've a 2.8ghz, X700 pro (not that high-end of a card, taking into account the new series ATI cards), with 1gb of ram, and it runs as smooth as silk.

I wish I could answer some other questions (it's fun talking about it!), but the NDA still applies. :)

In general though, I think you all will be really pleased with its game-play.

Modifiable said:

That's the right attitude.

Just finished reading. I hadn't heard that the cheat mode is back (sorta). Using the editor inside the game is a cool idea.

I don't think I used it in Civ2 that often (although I do believe I created a ton of Nukes once to kill everyone, but they deserved it ;) ).

I'm supposed to start my TESL certificate via distance learning latter this fall. I'm concerned it may be a much slower start than I had anticipated and my window of opportunity might be gobbled up by Civ4. ARGH!

I'd only use cheat mode if a game went south on me. Then I'd suddenly develop nuclear weapons and reign down death on my fiendish (and superior) foes.

But I certainly hope that the HoF is disabled when you turn on the editor.

Stilgar08 said:
First thing in the morning @work: checking CFC, before getting coffee!!! :crazyeye:

I'm keeping the site open on my browser as long and frequent as possible!

Last thing @night: checking CFC -

That's already done, now I'll even have to do more! - Just one more check! :lol:

Wait a minute, you mean you don't do this already? Heck, I'm a casual reader/civver, and I've been checking in every two to three hours! (It'd be more, but at work, they tend to expect me to actually work once in awhile, and at home, I've got a 5 month old to take care of).

Helmling said:
What about my marriage? Endangered, Doomed, or Utterly #@$%ed?

You're doomed.

Top Bottom