Ask a Mormon, Part 4

The Church has made a few movies depicting events from the Book of Mormon, but those weren't released theatrically. There was a movie that saw limited release, depicting the first parts of the Book of Mormon, but apparently it wasn't very good.
Do you know if the imfamous 'Mormon Jesus' video was actually produced by the Mormon Church?
Edit: NM, I looked it up.

I don't even know what movie you are talking about, but based on the name alone I doubt it. Officially-produced Church materials tend not to refer to ourselves as "Mormon", except occasionally and informally.

@Eran and @Camber:

I agree that the baptism talk (and the whole event really) should be a joyous occasion that is centered around the one being baptized. I suspect that we have talks on the same topics as a refresher for those in the audience (you only get baptized once after all), and because the guy getting baptized hasn't heard them yet.

I hope that the talks aren't too doom and gloom. There should be an awfully strong spirit at the event, and ideally, the talks can remind us about how we felt when we were baptized, and what we have to do to feel that way more often (i.e, when we take the Sacrament).

I've worked in the ward mission pretty much 100% since i came home from my aborted mission, so I've seen and given this talk dozens of times. If it is uplifting and directed by the spirit, instead of a vain repetition, you should be fine.

I repeatedly read this thread title as 'ask a moron' and feel sorry Eran thinks he is a moron. Then i re-read and all is clear.

No questions otherwise gents. Figured i should just mention it.

I don't even know what movie you are talking about, but based on the name alone I doubt it. Officially-produced Church materials tend not to refer to ourselves as "Mormon", except occasionally and informally.
It's a meme on youtube. I've never seen the original video, but it is popular to cut up the video and make videos out of it on Youtube. It's extremely stupid.

I was going to make a thread, but then I remembered this one!

So I'll admit that the only thing I know about Mormonism besides their rabid social conservatism is from the South Park episode.

Link to video.

Anywhosles, I'm wondering how true that South Park episode is to Mormon beliefs. For example did Joseph Smith really read golden plates out of a hat?

Thanks!

IN addition to this thread, I purchased this book in the summer of 2007 and have found it a great resource if I am curious about something Mormon. Highly encourage it for anyone interested in the LDS church/Mormonism.

Can you explain to me how mormon doctrine and interpretation of scripture is different from other denominations in a quick summarization? Honestly i know little of true mormonism.

I was going to make a thread, but then I remembered this one!

Anywhosles, I'm wondering how true that South Park episode is to Mormon beliefs. For example did Joseph Smith really read golden plates out of a hat?

Thanks!
I'd say maybe 60% of it is true? I'll have to rewatch it. To be honest, I'm not actually 100% sure of the logistical procedure behind the translation of the golden plates. There is never one shown in LDS Sunday School or anything. From what I remember of the episode, the depictions of LDS culture are 100% accurate (like their depiction of Family Home Evening), whereas their church history is accurate on some random facts, while exaggerates others.

Can you explain to me how mormon doctrine and interpretation of scripture is different from other denominations in a quick summarization? Honestly i know little of true mormonism.
I think this is the best summary of LDS Belief in a nutshell...the Articles of Faith.
The Mormons said:
The Articles of Faith
of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith

A few questions, unrelated to each other but all related to Mormonism:

1. Can you explain the concept that humanity can essentially "Become God." It seems to strongly contradict the first three chapters of Genesis, where God essentially condemns such thinking.

2. If you can get your own universe after death, is our God only in control of this universe? Does that then suggest that God was a man in another universe? Or is our God in control of all of it?

3. Do you consider other Christians (Non LDS) to be also "Christian", or, on a pathway to heaven.

4. How do you explain the verse in one of the Mormon books (I don't remember, I haven't actually read it, so I am not really accusing you of anything, I am just curious how it is explained), where it says something along the lines of "I created you white and delightsome, but so that they would not be a snare a skin of blackness did fall upon them." What is the meaning of this? I would assume not literal and as such not racist, but I am curious what it means.

5. Would you consider Polygamy to have been within God's will until 1904? (When it was banned.) Or would you consider God to have disproved before that but just not revealed it yet?

6. Do you actually believe without the "Magical underwear", if the world ends you will lose salvation or do you simply believe that it is wrong to take them off? (I know Magical Underwear is an inaccurate term but I'm not sure what word you use to describe it.)

7. Can you briefly explain the difference between the Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial Kingdoms? Also, do you believe in hell? If so, who goes there?

A few questions, unrelated to each other but all related to Mormonism:

1. Can you explain the concept that humanity can essentially "Become God." It seems to strongly contradict the first three chapters of Genesis, where God essentially condemns such thinking.

Which verses? God is concerned that Adam and Eve eat the fruit and "become like us".

2. If you can get your own universe after death, is our God only in control of this universe? Does that then suggest that God was a man in another universe? Or is our God in control of all of it?

We are pretty sure God was once like us, but beyond that don't know.

3. Do you consider other Christians (Non LDS) to be also "Christian", or, on a pathway to heaven.

Christian, yes, and they help people get into heaven but can't actually save anyone directly.

4. How do you explain the verse in one of the Mormon books (I don't remember, I haven't actually read it, so I am not really accusing you of anything, I am just curious how it is explained), where it says something along the lines of "I created you white and delightsome, but so that they would not be a snare a skin of blackness did fall upon them." What is the meaning of this? I would assume not literal and as such not racist, but I am curious what it means.

Well, there was a single group that divided into two, one of which was more wicked, so we generally consider that having dark skin wasn't so much a punishment in itself as a way to tell the two groups apart.

5. Would you consider Polygamy to have been within God's will until 1904? (When it was banned.) Or would you consider God to have disproved before that but just not revealed it yet?

Mormon doctrine has always been, "polygamy is to be practiced when God commands it, and not when He forbids it". So it was His will for a time, then it wasn't.

6. Do you actually believe without the "Magical underwear", if the world ends you will lose salvation or do you simply believe that it is wrong to take them off? (I know Magical Underwear is an inaccurate term but I'm not sure what word you use to describe it.)

It is symbolic of promises we have made, but worn mostly like any underwear.

7. Can you briefly explain the difference between the Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial Kingdoms? Also, do you believe in hell? If so, who goes there?

I would like to explain this in a longer post (I am at work, doing a bunch of other stuff). Don't let me forget.

Is the Mormon faith really the one (popular) Christian faith in America (or in general) with the most hostility towards homosexuality on average or is this just German journalism getting a wrong impression?

We have become associated with it because of Proposition 8 in CA, although that is gay marriage and not homosexuality specifically; we think homosexual acts are sinful, but usually don't really make a big issue of it as such.

Which verses? God is concerned that Adam and Eve eat the fruit and "become like us".

Exactly, yet he allows us (Or commands us) to become like him according to the LDS doctrine.

We are pretty sure God was once like us, but beyond that don't know.

Is he only in charge of this universe or all of them?

Christian, yes, and they help people get into heaven but can't actually save anyone directly.

Wait, so Mormons can save people? I thought only God could. Different in the Mormon Church?

Well, there was a single group that divided into two, one of which was more wicked, so we generally consider that having dark skin wasn't so much a punishment in itself as a way to tell the two groups apart.

So basically, it was an identification mark for a specific person, and that was just the way it stayed?

Mormon doctrine has always been, "polygamy is to be practiced when God commands it, and not when He forbids it". So it was His will for a time, then it wasn't.

So God changed his mind?

I would like to explain this in a longer post (I am at work, doing a bunch of other stuff). Don't let me forget.

I won't.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent

Question about this.

Where is this Zion going to be built? Are there plans? Or is this a "it's going to happen at some point in the future but we're not going to start hiring architects quite yet" type of thing?

Now I'm interested in this magical underwear - never heard of that before.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

How does this contradict any other major Christian groups? Men will be punished only for his own sins! It just so happens we have a sin nature, which makes it impossible not to think sinful thoughts, but we will be punished for our own sin nature, not Adam's.

How does this contradict any other major Christian groups? Men will be punished only for his own sins! It just so happens we have a sin nature, which makes it impossible not to think sinful thoughts, but we will be punished for our own sin nature, not Adam's.

We don't believe in the concept of Original Sin. We don't think people are born into a sinful state, and we don't believe in the baptism of babies. We'll do a good enough job screwing things up on our won.

Catholics disagree with us.

Top Bottom