Greece = No city states?

CivAddict2013

Warlord
Okay, so I was playing a game as Ethiopia. I'm making 200 GPT. I've embargoed Greece. Despite making 200 GPT Greece keeps buying out my city states.

I've adopted Patronage and get extra influence on the city state. Yet Alexander is still making 300 something GPT every turn.

Does being on the same continent as Alexander mean no CS's for the player?

If not, how do I stop Alexander?

Greece definitely has an advantage with the CS's. How far did you go in to Patronage? How far did Alex go?

What level and what era are you in?

If he's on your continent, he's going to be tough to stop so far as the CS and influence. If you can't beat him in a war, then maybe put all your spies in the city states? You can't do them all, but you can at least grab the important CSs.

It's either that or go to war and cripple him.

If I play a game and he's on the same continent I go after him early.

Heck--the other night he was on a separate continent and starting grabbing the city states on my continent, and was getting close to a victory. I sent a huge force over to take care of it.

You can invest in patronage, try to fulfill their quests, use spies to rig their elections, use (promoted) Spies to try coups, kill barbarians in/next to their borders, etc. Ideologies will also help with City States later on. Alexander has an advantage (and will invest heavily into City States), but you should still be able to take the important ones relatively early and - if you really want to - all of them later on.

The difficulty in civilization could also affect why Alexander is doing so well.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=516902

You already made this thread.

And we already told you in the last thread to stop using the world congress to embargo civs and start doing something useful with it. You ignored them both, and now you make this one? What is it with you anyway?

Post a save, post a screenshot, or just admit you're bad at this game. It's getting tiresome telling you over and over again what the solutions to your problems are while you refuse to listen or engage in any meaningful conversation about the topic. Don't just drop these threads here and then leave them and start a new one the following week. Pick ONE thread and actually engage in it so that you can become a better player. We'll help, we promise. We're just not going to help when you ignore everything that gets posted to help you.

And we already told you in the last thread to stop using the world congress to embargo civs and start doing something useful with it. You ignored them both, and now you make this one? What is it with you anyway?

Ironically, if Greece went freedom, then this is the one situation in which Embargo City States is the right play.

Mods, can this guy be given an ultimatum? One along the lines of "no new threads until you post a save or screenshot"?

You already made this thread.

Post a save, post a screenshot, or just admit you're bad at this game. It's getting tiresome telling you over and over again what the solutions to your problems are while you refuse to listen or engage in any meaningful conversation about the topic. Don't just drop these threads here and then leave them and start a new one the following week. Pick ONE thread and actually engage in it so that you can become a better player. We'll help, we promise. We're just not going to help when you ignore everything that gets posted to help you.

Being polite i would say your being less than constructive and wasting your time because you have nothing of interest to say.
The post you linked you didn't even reply in so he hasn't even wasted your time by being ignorant so you have no real reason at all for having this attitude.

While this question is mildly related to the original post considering the original post was obviously a frustration generated post where the OP was in the most part venting and this is a legitimate question post i think it is quite reasonable to draw a line under that past post and start afresh as we have moved on from simple venting on the part of the OP to asking a reasonable question to help/improve his gameplay.

More on topic...Alex is insane when it comes to gold generation and CS influence so it is very hard to claim any CS's when he is left to do his thing. I usually aim to get some sort of tech parity or preferable a unit tech advantage then go wipe him out.
The specifics of your ability and feasibility for any war to wipe him out comes under the standard reply of it depends on the circumstances and we would need to know a lot more before making any comment in regard to that issue.

Embargoing a civ, especially one you can't take down militarily is not always a bad thing even when it may not be the most optimal.
I have chosen to embargo greece in previous games as well as other civs because i know i will lose more useful suggestions such as world fair etc or they will annoy people i want to stay friends with.
If you can severely diminish an enemies GPT it can make it easier to conquer them also because they can't just keep buying endless units every turn.

Early to mid game gaining CS' from someone like greece can be hard but in the later parts of the game when you can have an ideology you can take autocracy and gunboat diplomacy and it becomes almost easy as you can usually influence a good number of CS's with a reasonably small force by parking the force in the middle of the CS's or shifting them around to influence CS's in turn.
In a recent game where greece was my main worry and he had chosen to embargo me i managed to steal most of his CS's by this tactic just before the vote and crush it.

Being polite i would say your being less than constructive and wasting your time because you have nothing of interest to say.
The post you linked you didn't even reply in so he hasn't even wasted your time by being ignorant so you have no real reason at all for having this attitude.

You'd think that, if you hadn't been paying attention for the last year.

Allow me to direct you to exhibit A - http://forums.civfanatics.com/search.php?searchid=2516562

No real reason at all eh? Don't come here and call me ignorant when you're wallowing in it. He ignores every single advice post in every single thread he's posted FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR. Just because I chose not to indulge that particular one doesn't mean anything.

CivAddict is known for opening threads, asking for help, then either defending his preassumptions and not listening to what "everyone else" is telling him or just never responding to the help that is being given to him - and then a few days/weeks later he opens new threads that clearly show that he either didn't read anything that was written (to help him), or that he just didn't think that he'd benefit from changing his playstyle. I can totally understand Chums frustration. ;)

Moderator Action: Please do not discuss other posters in this way, or question their right to post in these forums. If you have a problem with a post, please use the report function and let us investigate. Also, if you do report a post, do not announce in the thread that you have submitted a report -- that's trolling. Thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

While this question is mildly related to the original post considering the original post was obviously a frustration generated post where the OP was in the most part venting and this is a legitimate question post i think it is quite reasonable to draw a line under that past post and start afresh as we have moved on from simple venting on the part of the OP to asking a reasonable question to help/improve his gameplay.

Fluffball, it's nice that you're being helpful, but you seem to be misunderstanding something. More or less all of his threads are "frustration generated posts", as you put it. People post good advice on each and every thread he makes, but I wouldn't know whether he listens to any of it as he usually puts up another thread with a similar topic in a few days. I don't mind him doing so, I'm just saying that that's the case. At least he's being more polite now. Before he'd make demands like "Anyone from Firaxis here? Fix this." Yeah, because people from Firaxis are really going to be in this forum and are really going to fix your problem because you asked so nicely. :lol:

Regarding his latest issue, I believe I have something to contribute. Alex is definitely a pain and is usually regarded as one of the strongest AI opponents. This is not merely because of his UA and UUs. It's likely also because his AI personality flavors are more effective than most.

And yeah, my last game went a long way towards proving the "always start with the worst neighbors" perception people often have, as well as the "always start with the worst opponents for whatever victory condition you're planning to go for in that game" phenomenon. Specifically, I was trying to get the "Vote for Pedro" achievement. This required me to win a diplomatic victory as Brazil, which is most suited for cultural victories. I started the game, had a terrible starting location - and saw that one of my neighbors was Alex.

Seriously, I wanted to cry for a moment. I thought of quitting and starting another game. Incredibly, Alex had also been also my neighbor in my last Brazil game, where I went cultural. It was really like a pattern. But then I decided to continue with it. I figured I'd just go for cultural again instead, and try for the achievement next game.

And you know what happened? I won. By diplomatic, not by cultural.

It wasn't by taking Alex out early. I considered it, but while he was my nearest neighbor to the south, he was still separated from me by a large gulf and mountains. I decided to just build up peacefully in the early game. Sure enough, the guy started strong as he usually does, settling several cities and then taking two more from Egypt. To make matters worse, Egypt settled their third city - which became their capital - in a city spot I'd been planning to get. And my other neighbor, the one who started within ten tiles of my capital, was Assyria. Lastly, Greece made a powerful super-religion that he somehow managed to spread to half the supercontinent. An unenviable start by any standard.

By the end of the game, I was far and away the most powerful civ in every single category, and was allied to every CS with influence points in the 200s-500s for every single one. Surprised even me actually, how well I did. Going back to where I left off, Greece's early conquests had caused everyone to denounce him. I did not, not yet. I continued building tall, and got several wonders while maintaining enough of a military to keep Greece and Assyria from declaring war. Fortunately Assyria focused on Mongolia and Greece focused on Egypt. Egypt founded another city, but Greece took that one too, making them even more disliked. Moving into the Renaissance, I took both Aesthetics and Patronage, so that both routes were open. I beat Greece to the Forbidden Palace, although Mongolia beat me (Brazil) to Chichen Itza, which was a blow. Rome founded the World Congress and not Greece, which was another good thing. Even so, Greece was allied with many CS, and the number was steadily rising. Greece would probably control the World Congress come the industrial or modern eras.

But I noticed that while Greece was powerful, his forces were overstretched. He'd started some other wars with Assyria and Mongolia in addition to Egypt. Most of his army was off trying to finish Egypt, and his capital was nearly undefended. This was the time to strike. I built up quite a lot of Crossbowmen and some other units. I moved most of my army to the border with his capital and declared war. It wasn't an easy fight. His city had around 60-70 defense already, so Crossbowmen only did around 10 damage with each shot. But I had a lot of units, and took my time arranging them out of city range so they could all move in on the same turn. Athens fell, and then he offered me three more cities in the peace deal, including a city taken from Egypt and a city taken from Mongolia. I razed two of them and liberated the Egyptian city.

That was the trick. Immediately, Greece was far less of a threat. Their new capital became Thebes, the former Egyptian capital. I overtook him in the number of CS allies, and began getting rid of his religion in the CS and in Athens. Even so, in this weakened state he still managed to be a viable contender and ally a few more CS. He declared war on Egypt again and reconquered the Egyptian city I'd just given back to Egypt. Exactly what I wanted. :D

I declared war on Greece again, with industrial-era units this time. I made sure to ally all but one of his CS allies, through completing quests and paying gold, before starting the war. To lessen warmonger penalty, I had the city-state of Ormus take two Greek cities for me. Ormus had been allied to them until the turn the war started. Take that, Alex.

I left Alex with nothing but the former Egyptian city. Which Genghis eventually took from him, wiping him from the game. Bye-bye, Alex. With no real rivals remaining for CS, I then took Treaty Organization (one of my favorite tenets, really) and continued to solidify my hold on all the CS. The game continues on for a while after that, with my next main opponent after Greece was eliminated being my former friend Rome, which had also become pretty powerful on the other side of the world through conquering both Germany and America. But because this thread is about dealing with Greece, I won't go into that part. Brazil diplomatic victory - achieved. It is definitely possible to win a diplomatic victory with a civ that is not made for diplomatic victories (Brazil), against a civ that is made for diplomatic victories (Greece) and a civ that was conquering CS left and right (Mongolia). Almost forgot to mention that Genghis conquered a couple of CS, and declared war on two or three more. Since I was Freedom-mates with Genghis (oddly enough), and didn't feel like losing my only ally with Rome and Assyria both having picked Order, I had to pay him to make peace with those CS, which were all my allies. Then I paid him to go to war with Assyria too.

Tl;dr: Alex is indeed a pain to have in your game, and maybe even not just a pain but an existential threat to you if he's a neighbor. But he can be dealt with. If you're not going for a diplomatic victory, you can live with him and still win, like I did in the previous Brazil game I won culturally. If you plan to win diplomatically, then yes, you'll probably have to eliminate him. It doesn't necessarily have to be done early, also since his UUs are pretty strong. As you can see, it can be done by the Renaissance and still be successful. Fortunately, Alex likes to declare war on his unlucky nearest neighbor and take a city or two. This makes people dislike him. To lessen the warmonger penalty on your side when you go get him, you can leave him with one crappy city, which someone else will probably destroy for you. Good riddance. Whew, that was longer than I expected it to be.

Last time I play against Alexander, he was ally of just 1 city-state. He was trying to steal my ally CS' sometimes but that wasn't to hard to get them back. I'm kinda surprised.

It's probably their UA. City-state influence degrade slower.
It is probably their UA. But can I overcome it? I was making 200 GPT and still having issues keeping city states. It seemed like declaring war on him was the only option.

Greece definitely has an advantage with the CS's. How far did you go in to Patronage? How far did Alex go?

What level and what era are you in?

If he's on your continent, he's going to be tough to stop so far as the CS and influence. If you can't beat him in a war, then maybe put all your spies in the city states? You can't do them all, but you can at least grab the important CSs.

It's either that or go to war and cripple him.

If I play a game and he's on the same continent I go after him early.

Heck--the other night he was on a separate continent and starting grabbing the city states on my continent, and was getting close to a victory. I sent a huge force over to take care of it.
With Patronage I adopted the first 2 on the left side. The first one that gets you extra influence when you give city states money and the second that gives extra science.

I'm on King and in the modern era I believe.

So basically war is the only option?

You can invest in patronage, try to fulfill their quests, use spies to rig their elections, use (promoted) Spies to try coups, kill barbarians in/next to their borders, etc. Ideologies will also help with City States later on. Alexander has an advantage (and will invest heavily into City States), but you should still be able to take the important ones relatively early and - if you really want to - all of them later on.
I did invest in the first 2 policies of Patronage though, but I still had issues. I may trying promoting spies though.

The thing is, is that I was able to take most of the city states. But almost every turn Alexander would steal a particular city state.

It is probably their UA. But can I overcome it? I was making 200 GPT and still having issues keeping city states. It seemed like declaring war on him was the only option.

So basically war is the only option?

It's not even close to the only option. Are you under the assumption that gold is the only way to gain influence with a city state? That is incorrect.

You can easily coup city states that are being taken from you in this manner. You can rig elections passively. You can complete quests for them (which you should be doing, and the AI doing very little of), you can use Treaty Organization or Gunboat Diplomacy to influence them.

There's absolutely nothing to be gained from handing gold hand over fist to city states. Alexander is trolling you and you're falling for it by trying to beat him at his own game. Don't take the bait. Keep your gold, your gold is irrelevant. Spread religion, clear barbarian camps, complete trade missions, open trade routes, connect resources, etc, etc.

Try Consulates (first on the right side of Patronage), before you go down the left side. This gets you a better jumping off point for when you complete quests. Then you can use your gold to keep them allied rather than get them allied.

If you will spend gold, do it while they have the quest calling for investment, and after you've gotten the policy in Patronage.

Treaty Organization is very powerful, though I am concerned about what would happen if Alex got it too. I don't know if he does. I don't let him live that long.

Don't be immediately trading for every luxury resource available, when you still have surplus happiness. Wait until several CS are asking for that luxury and several of your cities are demanding it, then trade for that luxury.

If you're going to go to war with Alex or someone else with lots of CS allies, then it may be a good idea to get his allies to become your allies by any means necessary before the war starts. Fortunately influence is saved, so you can go right back to being friends with them after the war.

When they ask you to build a road, cut the road sections built in your territory afterwards. You can save on gold this way, and they might ask you to build it again.

Those are some tips I can think of off the top of my head.

In order to stop Alexander you need to something drastic, go kick his behind back to Athens. He probably has more cities than you so you can use your UA to your advantage.
Either that or stop trying to outspend him and spend that money trying to get him into war with someone else so he is forced to spend more on military. Or declare war on him yourself, set up for a strong defense and continue buying up city states while he wastes his time attacking your impenetrable position, again using your UA to your advantage.

Early on go for a religion with your Steles, and take those relig bonuses that have to do with city-states relations and go send those missionaries to convert them, you`ll also get extra quests asking for your religion so that`s a bonus too. Having a good religion also plays into your goal of diplomatic victory as you can propose your religion as a world religion. Later on you can use this control of the WC to smack Alex in the face as you get your ideology as a world ideology.

Get more gold bro. 200 gpt is not enough to compete with Alexander due to his UA and he seems to have an uncanny success with coups, I've never seen him fail. The games I've succeeded without war I typically had 500 gpt AND patronage.

Turning off city states when Greece is in could make the hellenic league ua useless. ...

Top Bottom