Summer Project

I just finished another play-through. Most of the mechanics work well. The British still steamroller the Japanese in 1944 as a result of the large historical reinforcements to the Indian Army, US trained and equipped Chinese units, and build-up of American and British air power. It's lots of fun to deploy masses of aircraft and tanks, backed by commandos, paratroops and air-mobile units in a full-on conventional offensive. I just need the Japanese to make it harder.

That being said, the Japanese now keep the pressure on the British along the Indian frontier through 1943. But more tweaks to playbalance are needed.

Work on the tech-tree is underway. All techs that are not absolutely needed by other civs are being re-purposed to a British tech tree that controls the arrival of Allied reinforcements and military infrastructure.

The airlift to China remains an outstanding issue. I'm going to try a "flying freight" unit (C-46) that takes 2 turns to get to Kunming, and see if and how Japanese fighters intercept it (or not) over the Himalayas. That's it for now.

I'm getting close to having Burma Campaign ready for external playtesting. A couple of weeks, I hope. I still have the 'hump' events to do. Unfortunately, these will be pretty abstract and automatic, depending mostly on which cities are controlled by which civ.

Because of the complex and lengthy campaign involved, this project has been a bit of a bugger, and I think there is still plenty of tweaking ahead. Please let me know by PM if you want to playtest. Serious testers only, please.

Of course! You’ve been so very helpful on all my projects, returning the favour is the least I could do.

I replaced my main Dell computer, which was at the end of its life, during the holidays with a Mac but have no fear I have a back up PC. I installed Civ2 on it but the last time I checked my scenario the TOTPP features didn’t seem to work. I probably need to reinstall TOTPP.

Is your scenario designed to be played solely as the British? Is there any particular feature of your scenario I should be paying special attention to?

Do you still have my Hotmail address? If so just send me your files.

I've alluded to the difficulty I've had with this scenario in some previous posts. It's a long scenario, with several fronts and it's hard to maintain the right balance on each of them over the course of the campaign. In particular the Chinese front between two AI civs is challenging. The British player should have to struggle to get enough supplies to the Chinese to keep them from being defeated. I will still need some time to get the Lend-Lease mechanism working. I'll send the files when I do. Thanks.

I'm looking forward to this one as well!

When thje going gets tough I find taking a break, playing other scenarios or other games for a while helps. Then you can go back to your project refreshed, sometimes with new perspectives. Scenario creation is a hobby, not a job. If you're not having fun then do something else. You will get more done when you're feeling enthusiastic about the project. :D

I agree with McMonkey, you should only be working on your scenario when you enjoy it and are having fun. If it become like a job or tedious than you should definately take a step back and only come back when and if you are ready.

I´m also still here and have many ideas in mind for new scenarios. Unfortunatelly I´m much too lazy to realize them :(
As McMonkey wrote it´s just a hobby, but it´s great to see that you guys are around here. This gives me a motivation to work on my own projects. :)

The last few days, I've been playing WoC. I daresay, it's more challenging than many scenarios I've played for Civ2, even moreso than Red Front (once you weather the initial Nazi onslaught, at least). The big thing that contributes to that, I think, is the scarcity of high-quality, big-stats units for the player. This also seems, from what Techumseh implies, will be an important aspect of his Burma scenario, coupled with a predominant weather alteration concept that drastically changes gameplay (like Red Front's summer/winter dichotomy). I do look forward to seeing how that combination plays out. How is the airlift problem doing, or have you touched this lately (I admit, I haven't been extremely active in my own Civ2 project the last or so, so it'd be understandable if you haven't even looked at the files for a while)?

BTW, what's the Executioner unit meant for? It has no attack value, no special roles or abilities of note, and no Civilopedia description. I meant to ask that a long time ago, but my memory's been jarred on that now.

Re: Warlords of China. Thanks Patine. I don't know if you've looked at the Readme, but it will explain how you get the more powerful and specialized units by being the first to research certain techs within specific time periods. This represents the fact that aircraft, tanks, gunboats, etc. were not manufactured in China, but had to be acquired from foreign interests, ie: Britain, France, Germany/Italy, the US, the Soviets and the White Russians. Since the Koumintang (the historical winner) is a Republic, it can research things faster and so has the advantage. The 4 Warlord factions are Monarchies, so they are more challenging. The Communists and the Kwantung Army (Japan) are not intended for play.

The executioner is essentially a cheap garrison unit.

I hope to return to Burma Campaign in the summer. Thanks for your interest.

I had actually been thinking that, if (and when) I revisit EotRS, since it's from a Japanese perspective and I have more unit room now for earlier units and such, I might start right where WoC leaves off - at the start of the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1937, as opposed to the original Pearl Harbour start, and engineer a starvation for resources and some mechanic around Roosevelt's oil embargo and bank asset freeze to entice attacks on the US and Dutch and British (and, possibly, if before June 1940, French) colonies, but the timing (and potential realistic difficulty of playing a one-by-one set of wars with those powers) being managed by the player. That's just a musing, though I formally haven't resurrected the project at this point.

Top Bottom