Korean War Revisited

It's not the version of ToTPP that's the issue. It's that the old utility CivStack won't work to clear the old "fortress terrain" from every square so I can just add ToTPP stackable feature and have a separate usable fortress terrain improvement for a defense bonus. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

It's not the version of ToTPP that's the issue. It's that the old utility CivStack won't work to clear the old "fortress terrain" from every square so I can just add ToTPP stackable feature and have a separate usable fortress terrain improvement for a defense bonus. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

There is a very easy fix for this. ToTPP already has a feature that eliminates all fortresses/airbases from your scenario. Simply follow these steps:

1) In the ToTPP launcher, make sure the "Debug scripts" option is selected (see attached screenshot).
2) Load up your scenario as a saved game
3) Toggle Cheat Mode
4) Press Ctrl-Shift-F1 (You should get an option to unstack terrain - see screenshot)
5) Voila!

Keep in mind that ToTPP will eliminate all fortresses AND airbases. This means that you will have to manually add the airbases back into your game. However, this is a lot less tedious than removing every single fortress one-by-one!

Attachments

• Debug scripts.jpg
    Debug scripts.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 220
  • Unstack terrain.jpg
    Unstack terrain.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 177
Thanks for pointing that out, minipow. I was just coming back yesterday to say that MapEdit had said my .scn and working .sav files from the KW were "from an unknown version of Civilization II" and thus could not be opened when I saw your post had just come up, and having just tried found it worked nicely. :)

I decided to give the most recent version of this scenario a try. My observations are similar to those of McMonkey from earlier this year. I'm now at the beginning of 1951, and Pusan and most of historic South Korea is firmly in my possession. The initial AI offensive from North Korea was conducted well. However, it was a little too easy to defend Pusan from the attacking hordes after the 2nd turn. UN reinforcements are a bit too strong, especially the technology-driven "Reinforcements 1". (I have no idea if subsequent reinforcements are appropriately balanced, as I haven't gotten that far yet.) As others have mentioned, the attack/defense stats of air units are too strong. (BTW, what does the P-82 Twin Mustang do?) My Sea Fury aircraft are always the first units to defend whenever North Korean ground units attack Pusan. I would suggest that you reduce the defense values of air units and give them the "x2 on defense versus air" flag.

I also noticed that some of the TOTPP parameters may not not have been implemented correctly. The defense bonuses in @COSMIC2 look wonky. FortifyDefense and FortressDefense values are both specified as "1". This effectively halves the defense strength of ground units (50% penalty) unless they happen to be situated in cities and coincidentally not fortified. I suppose you didn't intend to handicap units that are fortified. Were you instead trying to remove the defense bonuses of forts and fortification altogether? If so, the values need to be specified as "2".

First, the "fortress" issue will be fixed in the final release, as I've removed 'invisible fortress' terrain for ToTPP's "no-stack-kills" feature, and actual fortresses (which will be buildable by two Engineer units that come at separate times as reinforcements and can only build fortresses and airbases and repair roads) will receive a defence bonus. I'm also planning to eliminate the ability of fighters to attack potentially as many times as they have moves minus one, with another ToTPP feature. Twin Mustangs are aerial scouts to see what units are beyond your view in the fog-of-war. The aircraft defense suggestion is very and I will add it. Thank-you for the feedback!

Right. Just make sure the "fortify" issue (as separate from the "fortress" issue) is fixed. I think the scenario has great potential and is almost there.

I think one of the reasons the aircraft were defending cities is because they were getting the +100% defense bonus from the urban terrain squares. So, removing the terrain defense bonus for air units would be helpful.

With the following event trigger, does it matter if the North Korean unit is destroyed whilst attacking or defending against the United Nations or will it trigger either way? I guess it will trigger either way, but I wanted to be certain.

@IF
UNITKILLED
Unit=KPA Defensive Infantry
Attacker=North Koreans
Defender=United Nations

Hi McMonkey,

I'm not certain what event you are trying to trigger but in my Nam scenario I also use the Anybody trigger, i.e.:

@IF
UNITKILLED
unit=CIDG Striker
attacker=Anybody
defender=South Vietnam

Maybe that helps?

By the way love the new units above. Just great!

Thanks. I should have thought of that. I just wanted to make sure it made no difference if the unit was killed when attacking or if the enemy killed it. I guess it's the same either way. I will use Anybody as we know for sure that works!

Thanks, but the units are Fairline's with mods by Tanelorn, Gapetit and a few tweaks by myself. We're fortunate to have such a vast pool of resources to work with!

@McMonkey

Those units looks awesome! And I want to say the plans you detailed in the last email (I won't give spoilers, just to say I read it) look very comprehensive and thought-out and I look forward to giving them a try (but I don't expect much success at all first time around). Also, given how similar they look, you could probably recreate the North Korean Air Force roundel by just giving minor adjustment and editing to your Yugoslav Partisan Air Roundel (the two look quite similar, though of course distinct).

I did. And something weird happened during my first playtest that I've never seen playing any ToT (or any Civ2 game) at all. There was a period of time during the initial invasion when I could hear the attack .wav sounds, but saw no units moving or attacking. This only lasted a while, and then it went back to normal operating procedure. I have no idea what that was all about.
Anyways, it looks great so far, though I have yet to play more than two turns.

My civ2 MGE does that all the time, the game render just craps out until a dialog box comes up or my turn starts.

That feeling you get when at the end of a turn watching hordes of Chinese infantry decimating your forces and a pop up appears informing you that a battalion of Belgian Infantry (including a company from Luxembourg) has been sent as reinforcements :( <No disrespect intended to the battling Belgians, but you get my point>

Top Bottom