Interesting map settings for Carthage?

beetle

Deity
GOTM Staff
What do folks suggest as interesting map settings for Carthage? I want to found all cities after the first on mountains, just because I think it might be fun. Has anyone tried this?

I figure I have to open honor to unlock this UA with a GG as soon as possible, so that’s sub optimal. Waiting for a couple SP means my second city will come later than my usual too. I will also be settling on mountains, so my cities will not get very tall. Hopefully I can find some natural wonders to exploit. Since my own expos will be invulnerable, I plan to seed the map with the most aggressive war monging AIs. I hoping I can bait a few of them by aggressive forward-settling (on mountains) near their expos.

I only win about half the time on Immortal, and I don’t want the game to be a cakewalk, but with these self-imposed handicaps I think I will drop down to King. Should I go down to prince?

In addition to a map with lots of mountains, I will want to make good use of harbors.

What are the map settings you would suggest for this little experiment?

Pangea. Just roll until you get a coastal mountain, then search the coasts for more mountains. The free harbors will let you keep things connected.

Yes, founding on mountains is possible (only for Carthage, and only after they get their first Great General). One can’t go too deep though, as the settler suffers attrition.

Such cities will be unconquerable (but could be killed by nukes, like any other city), and will not be able to maintain a garrison (because of attrition).

I am thinking continents with raging barbs. Does adjusting the sea level result in more mountains? What I think would be ideal is mountainous archipelago, but I am not sure how to cook that up.

I am thinking continents with raging barbs. Does adjusting the sea level result in more mountains? What I think would be ideal is mountainous archipelago, but I am not sure how to cook that up.

I don't think Sea Level has any affect on mountains, but setting the World Age to "3 Billion Years Old" should help.

Pangea. Just roll until you get a coastal mountain, then search the coasts for more mountains. The free harbors will let you keep things connected.

The first city does not need to be next to a mountain, but it would be great to have mountains screening Cartage from other civs. That is hard to tell without exploring for several turns.

I don't think Sea Level has any affect on mountains, but setting the World Age to "3 Billion Years Old" should help.

Thanks! I forgot about the World Age option as I have never experiment with that setting. I hope to give this a try over the weekend, and will report back to this thread.

Austria has too hill starting bias. I tried it once, in a gauntlet where I need mountains, and see I can have much mountains with it. So with two hill starting bias, you can have mountains easier.

Thanks for that, I missed that Austria has hill starting bias. I guess that makes sense, as their UB allows them windmills on hills. I want strong AI opponents in this game, so they are in!

But I really don’t think the starting bias of the civs influences the map generation. Where did you get that idea? I would love to find out differently, because that would be a nice feature! A one time experience doesn’t prove anything.

No, it doesn't. But roll some maps with Incas and Austria and you'll see. ;)

In my experience, a map with high white mountains means I'll meet Austria and low brown mountain means I'll meet the Incas.

America seems to have mountains in its starting bias. It's just a feeling.

Well, one needs to watch out for confirmation, and speaking of which, I am already ready to give up hoping for archipelago mountains. I tried a 3 billion old archipelago for 100 turns last night. I forgot that early turns can go very fast when there is no war. Standard size map and I met most all but one of the civs in that time. I saw two hexes of mountains, and neither was in a spot where I could have fun with it.

Yeah the whole founding on a mountain seems awesome, but its just screaming for a custom map.

also, going into Honor to get the early general is ok,
BUT
if you found on a mountain and cant run a garrison unit, then honor looses out on culture and such from that garrison...

so, completing honor becomes less desirable? (and Honor is questionable at the best of times)

Can you settle on a natural wonder mountain? Krakatoa perhaps? Its usually out in the ocean somewhere...very situational!

I must test in my next game locating my capital on the mountains. This costs me a bit time because I've to earn GG first but it makes me immune to domination victory. Must try.

Sorry, never mind. I am not sure why I thought this could work, I thought I tried no problem late game.

I must test in my next game locating my capital on the mountains. This costs me a bit time because I've to earn GG first but it makes me immune to domination victory. Must try.

How could you get a GG before settling capital anyway?

How could you get a GG before settling capital anyway?

It's a "little" tricky, but you'd need to find 2 Culture ruins with your starting Warrior (which would be at least 4 total ruins, since there's a 3 ruin cool down before repeating ruin results), open Honor, continue attacking barbs to get your second Policy, and take the first one on the left side of Honor to get a free GG . . . all while protecting your vulnerable Settler. Unless you messed around with the game files and increased the amount gained from a Culture Ruin or lowered the requirement for the first policy.

Okay, I think that game up in the play-Germany-without-ever-settling thread.

My apologies to all for starting this thread without being quite certain that Carthage could settle on a mountain in the first place.

For Carthage, apparently Highlands is the best if you want to use their mountain-climbing ability.
Link
Spoiler :

Neat, but wow, I would not have the patience for that many cities! How many civs did this map start out with?

Yes, founding on mountains is possible (only for Carthage, and only after they get their first Great General). One can’t go too deep though, as the settler suffers attrition.

Such cities will be unconquerable (but could be killed by nukes, like any other city), and will not be able to maintain a garrison (because of attrition).

Wow. I ought to try settling on mountains sometime.

Can a city built on a lone mountain with no other mountains nearby build an observatory, Macchu Picchu, or Neuschwanstein?

For Carthage, apparently Highlands is the best if you want to use their mountain-climbing ability.
Link
Spoiler :

That's insane. And how do you build roads on mountains?

Wow. I ought to try settling on mountains sometime.

Can’t be done.

And how do you build roads on mountains?

Carthage only. Start next to mountain, build one turn only, move off, heal, repeat. Very slow, and I am not sure roads on mountains count for trade routes. I am not sure how to check. But one time I had one city connect by rail through mountains, but kept seeing the prompt to build a rail next to the one I had through those mountains.

Top Bottom